Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

CCC question

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm a newbie and I'm trying to get things straight in my head about cargo carrying capacity. As I mentioned in a previous thread, my wife and I are likely buying an X17z tomorrow. I know the camper has a low cargo carrying capacity, and the reason for this is that they stripped it down somewhat so that a crossover SUV could pull it.

Here's what I'm looking at:

-Towing vehicle: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder, with a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs and a payload capacity of about 1,650 lbs.

-Camper: X17z, which weighs 2,785 lbs and has a cargo carrying capacity of 715 lbs.

Basically, if you add the X17z weight to its CCC, you get 3,600 lbs. If you add the payload capacity of the Pathfinder to that, you get a bit over the Pathfinder's limit of 5,000 lbs.

So ... given that, I should keep an eye on how much gear I put INTO the camper while going to my destination, and put any heavy gear into the Pathfinder. Is that correct?

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie and don't know much about this stuff, but that doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue. For instance, if we take a cooler that's filled with ice and drinks, that should go into the Pathfinder. I suspect the only things we'll have in the camper will be bedding, cooking gear, some dry food, extra emergency clothes, and maybe some play stuff for the kids (soccer ball, scooters, etc.) I don't see us doing much dry camping, so we won't need to fill the water tank on the camper.

Am I reading this all correctly?
SteveMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Team

The figures quoted by rv manufacturers are computed guidelines. The real test will be to weigh it road ready at a scale.

Generally, I try to give myself some over capacity instead of seeing how close I can come to the rated capacity.

I think you will be close but there is no way to tell without some real figures to compare.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

My first 'real' camper was a X17z. Be very careful with it. Make sure you read that yellow sticker and understand what it says. Once I put the battery on the front and the hot water heater was filled w/ 6 gallons of water, I had around 350 pounds to play with. That's not a lot of stuff, and the rig is almost loaded to capacity right out of the gate.

I ALWAYS remark to my wife, if we had just stretched a little and went w/ the X19, we might still have it and saved a LOT of money in the long run.

Just food for thought.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

A couple of things to note.

Are you sure it weighs 2,785#? That seems light. With options it most likely over to 3000#. Check the yellow sticker on the side of the trailer.

You don't add the weight of the trailer and the payload of the TV. The payload of the Pathfinder is the total weight it can carry inside and on the hitch. So you subtract the tongue weight of the trailer, the weight of the WD hitch, your passsenger(s), dog, coller, etc. from the payload. So if your payload is 1200#, your tongue weighs 600#, WDH is 100#, that leaves you 500# for your wife, dog, cooler, etc in the Pathfinder.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
Here's what I'm looking at:

Basically, if you add the X17z weight to its CCC, you get 3,600 lbs. If you add the payload capacity of the Pathfinder to that, you get a bit over the Pathfinder's limit of 5,000 lbs.

So ... given that, I should keep an eye on how much gear I put INTO the camper while going to my destination, and put any heavy gear into the Pathfinder. Is that correct?

Am I reading this all correctly?
Please remember that what you put in the Pathfinder still drops its carrying capacity.. Even the weight of the passengers must be taken into account.. and the weight of the driver if over 150 lbs.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

This gives me a lot to think about, but I'm thinking I'll still be okay. As I said, one thing I don't expect to do is dry camp, so I'll use the water source at the campground, and dump all fluids before we leave.

Using the info that DocBrown gave, here's another go at the math:

My wife and kids weigh a total of about 325 lbs. right now (my 12-year-old son will grow, but my wife and daughter are pretty much done growing). The hitch weight is 395 lbs. Let's say the WD is 100 lbs. So, assuming my numbers are correct, that eats up 820 lbs of my vehicle's 1,650 lbs of payload capacity. That leaves 830 lbs., which seems like it should be enough to go camping for a few nights.

I know the X17z is considered "crossover SUV bait" by some, meaning it's designed to hook crossover drivers on the RV lifestyle, even though the trailer may not be sensible for some crossover towing capacities. But, I actually have a crossover with a good towing capacity. I like the X17z because it's the right size (weight, length, sleeping capacity) for us.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #7

Yes, you have the math right.

1650#? I'm very surprised by that, very high for an SUV of any size. My 1/2 ton PU with V8 engine has a payload of just over 1600#.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

Pretty much the most important numbers in all of this are your GAWR's; Gross Axle Weight Ratings. You've got 3 axles, and all of them need to be below their maximum weight rating. It is these 3 ratings that are used to compute pretty much everything else. Take Norty's advice and hit a CAT scale soon. Use the 3 pass routine so you know all your weights.

Remember that your Tow Vehicle Rear Axle Weight is measured with the WDH bars unhooked. Also remember that the maximum trailer weight is the weight on the axle PLUS the tongue weight. Your trailer axle rating is probably about 15% South of the maximum weight rating.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
1650#? I'm very surprised by that, very high for an SUV of any size. My 1/2 ton PU with V8 engine has a payload of just over 1600#.
I initially found that with a quick Google search for "2015 nissan pathfinder sv 4wd payload capacity". I looked in the Pathfinder's manual, and found nothing. I did just now find another source (2015 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 - Price, Reviews, For Sale) that said the payload was 1,558. Either way, I've got a good bit of wiggle room for an ice chest and some luggage.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Yes, you have the math right.

Shouldn't be surprised. These are 8 passenger SUV's, that is easily 1600# of payload in passenger alone. Here is a photo of the sticker from my Traverse - same class as the Path. SteveMM - check the sticker on the door of YOUR Path, don't look it up. The sticker is specific to your vehicle and includes all factory installed options etc. Anything you find on the internet is a best case number.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #11

Good tip, bankr63. I didn't know that info was on the door jam. However, now I'm totally freaked out. This is what it says, and it seems REALLY REALLY low for a seven passenger vehicle. Basically, that means seven occupants would need to average less than 164 lbs, and they wouldn't be able to bring luggage with them? I don't get it.

This changes my numbers a lot.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
Good tip, bankr63. I didn't know that info was on the door jam. However, not I'm a bit freaked out. This is what it says, and it seems REALLY REALLY low for a seven passenger vehicle. This changes my numbers a lot.

That's more in line w/ what I expected to see, to be honest. You want payload, you really want a truck, not a SUV.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #13

Well that shows the difference between ratings and reality. It is possible that you have a couple of hundred pounds of options on your Path (rear air or rear entertainment, sunroof?) that are eating into the capacity.

You are still up there with the average pickup truck. Those numbers you see online for Maximum Payload for the pickup trucks generally include a heavy payload option package. Without that option, payload capacities are generally not so generous and the same or less than your Path. After all, a half ton is only 1000 lbs.
It is really good that you are finding this out now, and are educated before you start loading up. BTW - there should be a second sticker nearby that will tell you what your front and rear GAWR's are. These are the numbers you need to watch.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #14

That's one of the selling points of the new aluminum F150s; they're supposed to give you lots more payload. I haven't seen any stickers from them mind you, but that's supposed to be the big draw.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Well that shows the difference between ratings and reality. It is possible that you have a couple of hundred pounds of options on your Path (rear air or rear entertainment, sunroof?) that are eating into the capacity.
Well that's what's even weirder. I don't have any of those things. This is a relatively base Pathfinder. No sunroof, no rear entertainment, no upgraded sound system, no seat heater ... so on, and so on. The only thing I've got that I think might have been an option (I bought the PF used, so I'm not sure) was that it's 4WD.

I'm actually starting to wonder if this doesn't have something to do with how Nissan got the towing capacity up to 5,000 lbs, when most crossovers are more like 3,500 lbs.

Well, this is going to make packing rather interesting. The funny thing is that I'll have more cargo weight capacity in the RV than in the towing vehicle. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on what we pack and where we pack it. At this moment, I'm figuring I'll put the ice chest in the car, and other luggage in the RV.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #16

Just be careful and really think about this - don't get lulled into the shiny new camper. Trust me I've been there - pretty much the same situation.

Its not just the weight of your camper and your payload - it seems pretty clear to me that you're going to be running your tow vehicle to capacity as well as your trailer. That's two rigs at capacity. To say nothing of the tow experience. Its not just the weight behind the SUV, its the wind resistance that comes from pulling what amounts to the surface area of a barn door down the highway.

I'm willing to bet you'll trade out the SUV b/c of this. And once you do THAT - you'll get annoyed w/ the sacrifices in the X17z (cargo capacity probably bubbling to the top of the list very quickly). Then you'll end up w/ a bigger truck that begs for a 'proper' trailer.

This is how/why I said it would have been WAY cheaper in the long run for me to get the X19h from the get-go. I could have put more in IT, saving the payload on my tow vehicle, and likely had a very similar 'feel' behind the steering wheel.

But no, I bought the x17z, lamented my cargo capacities, bought a truck, sold the X17z b/c we were gong to order a bigger trailer, but now we have a motorhome ....

Sometimes I feel like I should have stuck w/ the tent !!!

*nah*

PS no longer have the truck - don't need it.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
That's more in line w/ what I expected to see, to be honest. You want payload, you really want a truck, not a SUV.
Yes, me too. It's why I bought a 1/2 ton.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #18

Thanks to everyone for the opinions and the info. This RV is still very doable for me. It will just be a matter of how to pack the gear.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #19

In reading the thread title, I thought this thread was going to be a question about these guys, (No Kidding, I really did):

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
In reading the thread title, I thought this thread was going to be a question about these guys, (No Kidding, I really did):

Mine too. Guess we must be old(er).
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote