Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #1

Cleaning Roof

I am planning on doing winterization and cleaning of my X23B next weekend. I am going to apply a roof cleaner and conditioners, but I am wondering if I should be standing on the roof while I do it?

Anyone with experience in doing it or not?

I am 260 pounds, so I am not a small guy and I worry about doing more harm than good!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #2

While it is supposed to okay to go on the roof I never do and never have done so in 14 years of rv ownership. I use a long handled brush and a step ladder which is not fun.

If you choose to go on the roof I would recommend a 2'x2' square of plywood to stand while up there. This wil prevent the possibility of wrinkling the rubber membrane under your feet.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Save your self some money. The company who makes the roofing material says you don't need the conditioners. Just clean with a stiff brush and spic-n-span or something similar.

CLEANING AND MAINTAINING THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE

Proper care and maintenance of your Alpha Systems roof membrane is critical for years of trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.

Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE.

Periodic inspection of the roof, during cleaning, is highly recommended. Check the membrane for signs of damage. Check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas, and around all accessories and fasteners, for signs of cracking or voids.

The roof membrane can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Caution should be used when placing any articles on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can usually be patched.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #4

Hi Knickerbocker,

I'm about the same weight and asked the same question to our dealer's service department last year. Their rep (who I have come to know and trust) said that "I should just be careful getting on and off". The roof will hold your weight just fine without any supports. He did recommend soft shoes, which is a common-sense good idea. Good Luck.

While your on the roof, you might want to check your gutter on the street side. Mine was stopped-up with leaves and small twigs where the screw that fastens the canopy crosses through. A small blockage, but enough to keep water from draining through its normal path.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

I think I will go with a brush on a long handle with some Spic N Span
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker View Post
I think I will go with a brush on a long handle with some Spic N Span
Yep, that's exactly what I just did last weekend. First time cleaning the roof in the 3 years I've owned the RV and it cleaned right up, looks almost like new.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #7

I have NOT cleaned the roof of my X19H yet, but I will before she goes into storage for the winter. The man at the dealer that was orientating us with everything we need to know about our new TT said 2 things that I remember vividly. He said: 1. The roof is designed to walk on and will support a normal sized person. (He said I am normal size, and I'm 250). And 2. Clean and treat the roof once a year at a minimum with Murphy's Oil Soap. Like I said, I haven't been up there yet, nor have I washed the roof with Murphy's--it's just what we were told to do. I am interested in opinions about this subject, too.
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

After being on my 23B roof. I would recommend putting the stabilizers down. Make sure you wrap the ladder uprights in foam or old cloth. Be very careful about NOT sliding the ladder along the roofs edge.

I was on the roof a week ago and put a small nick in the roofing membrane. It is VERY thin. I would put the ladder at the back of the TT and walk up there and clean the roof, and not move the ladder until you are done. If you are concerned about your weight bring a piece of plywood up with you and stand most of the time on it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1stnau View Post
The man at the dealer that was orientating us with everything we need to know about our new TT said 2 things that I remember vividly. He said: 1. The roof is designed to walk on and will support a normal sized person. (He said I am normal size, and I'm 250).
X2. I have been on my roof 6 or more times a year and have not had any problems. I use a 10 foot tall step ladder that lines up with the roof of the trailer. I have added a vent cover, cleaned the roof several times a year. Added a wingman to my antenna, changed antennas, blew tree droppings off of the roof, suspended a tarp over the roof...

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote