Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Combination Interior Light with Fan

My 23B has a Combination Interior Light with Fan. It was not working. What possibly will be the problem?

I checked all 15a fuses and they all looked good. What else should I check? Is this a common issue?

Please advise. Thanks.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #2

Are you referring to the bunk end light/fans with the 1/4" plug? Other possible would be the stove hood fan/light fixture.

For a bunk end fan, assume you have 2 or 3. Isolate whether the problem is in the TT or the fan unit by swapping to another outlet, and trying the other fan in the outlet not working.

If it's the bunk fan itself, they are pretty easy to take apart. A couple of screws for the lens, and a couple of more for the body. When I upgraded mine to LED, I took them all apart to clean the fans. Look for a loose connection inside.

If it is only the one outlet that is not working, then you are probably going to have to take out a multi-meter and start tracing voltage at the wires. IIRC, all the fans are on the same 12V circuit, so if the other outlets work, then there is probably a loose wire somewhere. I would start with the outlet itself. If all of the outlets are out, I would swap out the fuse on that circuit just to be sure - they don't always appear to be blown when they are.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #3

The light/fan is using the phone jack plug. I tried both and not working. Tried to replace all 15A fuses even no sign of broken, still not working. Everything else works including the stove fan.
Attached Thumbnails
20170914_194741.jpg   20170914_194747.jpg  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

Okay, I would probably start to suspect a broken connection or wire on the circuit that feeds the fans then.

Just to confirm that both fans aren't themselves dead, I would try to see if they will light up with another power source. Personally, I would grab a 9V battery and hold it against the plug with + to tip and - to ring. Assuming it has an incandescent bulb, it should light, but dimly because it is 3V less than spec. Other possible solution is to try it in someone else's HTT if you are at a CG and aren't afraid to ask.

Assuming the fan/light lights, it's time to break out a multimeter and start testing house wiring. On our HTT, both lights are on the same circuit so I would probably start with the connection on the back of the distribution panel. is there 12v present at the binding post where the circuit attaches? If yes, is there 12v at the jack where the lights plug in? If this is a no, you've got some work cut out for you. It is possible that there is a break somewhere in the wiring along the way to the jack.

You might want to contact Jayco for a wiring diagram for your TT (you'll need your VIN so they can identify) - it will show you all the devices that share that branch circuit. I would check each one in order, the last one working is probably where the circuit is broken, check for wiring/connector problems at that device.

GLTY!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #5

Do you have a multimeter? if not I would strongly recommend buying one. You can buy a digital one for about $20.

Sounds like you already did but, 1st double check the fuses, swap out a fuse with a known good one. Sometimes they blow on the edge and you cannot visually tell. With the multimeter set to check omh's it will tell you if the fuse is blown too.

I have blown countless number of fuses early on with my combo fan units. until I figured out the issue and fixed it. I found if you insert the plug crooked, you can short out the two power connectors (+ & -), which blows the fuse. I opened the cover on the female outlet and bent the strips of metal that make contact with the plug. This has completely fixed my issue with blowing of fuses.

With a multimeter, if you pull the cover off the female outlet to check for voltage. If you have voltage there the issue probably is with the fan/light unit.

My unit did not come with the outlets, I added them. But as I recall, the circuit breaker panel, stated that both bunks should be on separate fuses. You might just have a loose wire. If so, I would disconnect the power, both the battery and the shore power, pull the converter box, which as both the circuit breakers (120V) and the fuse bloc (12V), and check the terminals/wires behind there. The terminals are known to be loose. You may have pulled the trailer enough for the wires to vibrate loose.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #6

These run on the 12 volt system so you want to check the fuses and not the circuit breakers.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

The 12 volt side may be ok make sure you check the ground.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Do you have a multimeter? if not I would strongly recommend buying one. You can buy a digital one for about $20.

Sounds like you already did but, 1st double check the fuses, swap out a fuse with a known good one. Sometimes they blow on the edge and you cannot visually tell. With the multimeter set to check omh's it will tell you if the fuse is blown too.

I have blown countless number of fuses early on with my combo fan units. until I figured out the issue and fixed it. I found if you insert the plug crooked, you can short out the two power connectors (+ & -), which blows the fuse. I opened the cover on the female outlet and bent the strips of metal that make contact with the plug. This has completely fixed my issue with blowing of fuses.

With a multimeter, if you pull the cover off the female outlet to check for voltage. If you have voltage there the issue probably is with the fan/light unit.

My unit did not come with the outlets, I added them. But as I recall, the circuit breaker panel, stated that both bunks should be on separate fuses. You might just have a loose wire. If so, I would disconnect the power, both the battery and the shore power, pull the converter box, which as both the circuit breakers (120V) and the fuse bloc (12V), and check the terminals/wires behind there. The terminals are known to be loose. You may have pulled the trailer enough for the wires to vibrate loose.
What do you mean "insert the plug crooked"?? It is just a simple plug it, isn't it?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
These run on the 12 volt system so you want to check the fuses and not the circuit breakers.
I actually replaced all 15A fuses. But I will double check later by using the meter. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
I checked all the fuses with the meter, and confirmed they are all good.

I checked the current that runs at the back of the socket, it has only 6.25volt. Why is that? What would be the problem?

I also checked the socket and has no problem too.

(Sigh) Everything else works, except these light/fan. facepalm:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:

Jagiven, what do you mean "insert the plug crooked"??

Both of my light/fan were working before, and now both are not working? You mean they both burned?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #12

6.25V at the fan fixture?

Has there been any wiring done on the trailer recently? Sounds almost like you have two loads in series instead of parallel. The only way I could see this happening is if there is miswiring at the 12V load centre, but since you said it worked fine previously something would have changed.

I guess it could also be a disconnected/broken neutral wire. That can cause the voltage to fluctuate.

Happy hunting.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
6.25V at the fan fixture?

Has there been any wiring done on the trailer recently? Sounds almost like you have two loads in series instead of parallel. The only way I could see this happening is if there is miswiring at the 12V load centre, but since you said it worked fine previously something would have changed.

I guess it could also be a disconnected/broken neutral wire. That can cause the voltage to fluctuate.

Happy hunting.
I tapped the rear camera power at the rear fan socket. But the camera was only turned on during towing. It was off at campsite when using the fan. We used for a short while, maybe. Then later to try again was not working.

No other wiring has changed.

It is very hard to trace the wires at the back because it's all inside the wall. What else can I do?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
What do you mean "insert the plug crooked"?? It is just a simple plug it, isn't it?

It is a simple plug. But as you insert it, there is a lot of play. When i took the cover off, I found, there are two metal strips that make contact with the plug, and if inserted just the right way, you can short out the connection, and blow the fuse. On my signature line there should be a link that includes a right up on this issue.

Edit, humm, I see that link goes to the wrong post. I'll have to fix that.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
It is a simple plug. But as you insert it, there is a lot of play. When i took the cover off, I found, there are two metal strips that make contact with the plug, and if inserted just the right way, you can short out the connection, and blow the fuse. On my signature line there should be a link that includes a right up on this issue.

Edit, humm, I see that link goes to the wrong post. I'll have to fix that.
I see what you mean, but I didn't get the burned fuse in my case. Anyway, I will check my sockets.

Also, the link in your signature pointed to another thread. Just FYI.

Thanks.