Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #1

Complete Canvas Replacement/Tips needed!

Good morning! Been lurking here for a bit since we acquired a very sad 2007 19H. The price was right and the bones were good, so we are in the process of doing a full renovation (the dreaded AC gasket was the start of the deterioration and it's previous owner let it sit for four years). We did a fill gut and since done a complete subfloor and roof replacement. This brings me to the bunkends. Both canvases were trashed by rodents and water. I have retained them and intend on sending them to Bear Creek for replacements. I am feeling overwhelmed about the care and longevity of canvas and could use some suggestions... everything from how to treat them new and how to keep them looking and performing like new!

Finally... anyone else done a complete canvas replacement NOT through a dealer?
spottedimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

The new ends you get will not be "canvas" anymore. Bear Creek would be using some sort of waterproof vinyl fabric - Sunbrella or similar. There is nothing that needs to be done with this fabric initially. Treatments can actually reduce the effectiveness of the waterproofing. That said, follow any directions provided by Bear Creek to maintain any warranty - don't take my word.

After a few years, you may notice that the water repellancy is starting to break down, and that is when you can start treating. My issues are usually around seams, and a good quality tent seam sealant will generally restore the functionality.

Otherwise just put the bunks away clean and dry; if you can't do them dry (rainy packup days) get them aired out and dried as soon as you can.

Congratulations on the new (to you) trailer. If you have pictures from the renovation, please post them! Once you have taken your trailer apart like that, you'll know it better than anyone and teach us all a few tricks I'm sure. I've done a partial floor replacement on my X19H that included removing most cabinetry. It was a fun and informative project.

ETA: Correction to above. Checking the Bear Creek site, they actually do use old-fashioned canvas. I would probably consider a different source that uses more modern materials. Canvas Replacements (canvasreplacements.com) uses more modern materials. Segment on the company from Rollin' On TV
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

SO I AM on the right track... I keep flip flopping between traditional canvas and vinyl replacement. I had Idaho Canvas quote me for 2 tone marine vinyl but I am nervous about pulling the trigger. Can't wait to learn about Canvas Replacements! Thanks for posting.

As soon as I upload the pics to a hosting site I will post a link!

So... I can expect the replacements to have no canvas components at all? Safe to assume more waterproof? Less maintenance?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #4

I'm not sure what they were using in 07, but I would expect it should have been Sunbrella already. My '08 pup was Sunbrella fabric, and I thought that Jayco had been using it exclusively for some time by then.
Yes, I would expect that it will not be canvas at all. These waterproof fabrics look kind of like canvas on the inside, but are much smoother and rubbery/plasticy on the outside. You can certainly tell it is a waterproof fabric. The windows will be a full vinyl panel, generally you can get a range of tints.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

My 2007 model is not canvas, it's vinyl-like so I would guess Sunbrella.
Guess I should look into having Bear Creek redo my front bunk instead of buying a complete replacement.

Good luck on your endeavor of redoing the 19h. I had to do a complete roof repair/replacement and about 1/3 of the floor due to a leaking a/c gasket. Never again...
I do have a couple of threads on the work done but the pics may not work since I posted it before photobucket decided to start charging for shared space. I can email it to you if you'd like.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:27 AM   #6

Scott91370... your renovation is was the inspiration for this one! My husband poured over your pictures... and agrees with you... never again! It was a huge project and is still underway. For $1000.00 we couldn't pass it up. The trailer itself is in pristine condition and the appliances all like new. That being said, we won't do one this extensive again despite him being a talented builder!

Hoping this link works... I could start a whole thread on all the steps this renovation has taken so far!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/X34HBjjuPAoXzBpKA
Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #7

Wow! It's coming along though isn't it?

What you have is Sunbrella. It was on our '2003 Jayco Kiwi 17a also. Honestly there isn't much to caring for them. As said if you get any leaks they will most likely be the seams. We had our 17a for 10 years and aside from cleaning some tree sap stains we never had any problems or leaks. Our current X20E, same thing. We've had it for 6 seasons.

Don NOT replace with regular canvas. It will become a real pain to take care of them.

Make sure to treat the bed door seals twice a year with a UV protectant for rubber and vinyl. Ours were like new when we traded our 17a. And they are the same on our X20E.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #8

Thanks DocBrown! We are replacing all the pieces are parts because we want me to get some solid years out of it. Resale was never really on our minds as this is my upgrade from years of tent camping!

So it sounds like I can't go wrong with factory direct for this project! Sunbrella it is!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedimages View Post
Hoping this link works... I could start a whole thread on all the steps this renovation has taken so far!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/X34HBjjuPAoXzBpKA
WOW!! You're reno makes mine look simple. It is a lot of work but once done it was a very satisfying feeling. The roof was probably the hardest because it was a complete rebuild then having to get it back in place was rough. Luckily I had 7 or 8 other people to help with the lifting.

I look forward to more pics when you get further along but it does look good so far!!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote