Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Condensation problem

Does anyone have an issue with moisture build up between the mattress and sleeping platform?

Steve_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Some have had condensation under the mattress in certain situations with some RVs. What RV do you have?

If you use the 'search' function for the forum, you may find answers quicker. If not and your current topic ('Condensation problem') doesn't get enough response, try another post with more specific information; maybe 'help - condensation under the mattress' or something like that.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

Congratulations on your 1st post. There are a ma y posts on the subject. A number of people like a marine product for this purpose. Unfortunately I do not recall the name of it.

Which htt do you have? How long are you out for?

In the early and late season, we get a bit under the matress and ignore it. When we pack up, the mattress and bunk end dry. We also open up when we get home to ensure everything dries out.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

I cured that problem on my boat by using Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting, its pricey but works great, no more moisture. Someone else tried a similar building product in their hybrid TT with good results, Cedar Breather Underlayment from Benjamin Obdyke | Benjamin Obdyke, not sure where to purchase but a quick Google search should locate it.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try it
Steve_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #6

Hi, I use Hypervent under my mattress. It was costly but worth the price.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

I've had the problem spending winters in Florida due to cool nights and hot days. A lot of people don't even know it's happening under their mattress until they notice mold.

No need to spend a lot of money preventing it. I bought cut-your-own-size furnace air filter material at Home Depot. This stuff is 1" thick and something like 24" x 24". They are made out of some kind of natural fibers and are very stiff. I placed 6 of them between the mattress and plywood. You would think they would flatten out but they haven't after 3 years.

Another cheap solution some have used is wood lath like they used to use under plaster walls. Anything to let a little air get under the mattress, even if it's only during the daytime.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Awesome suggestion! and welcome to the forum.

I suspect the 'furnace filters' may actually be evaporative cooler ('swamp cooler') pads. If so, it's a seasonal thing and you'll find it in lots of places (home improvement, hardware, W*mart) in the late spring, but may not see as much of it in the fall/winter.

That material is inexpensive and is available in shredded aspen wood and synthetic ('plastic'). For anyone with a condensation issue, it could be a cheap and easy solution. Certainly worth a try!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #9

retiredtech: Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds a lot less expensive than others!
redcamper29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

We have had condensation under the mattresses in our X17Z. I tried a number of different things but what seemed to work the best was simply insulating the area under the hinge flap. I use the foam insulation like people use around the edges of window air conditioners. It's like 2 or 3 inches thick and several feet long. Got it at Menards for a couple bucks, after spending much more on other fixes that didn't solve the problem. I'm thinking I'll maybe put pink insulation board under the mattresses next summer and see how that works too.

Wisco Dude is offline   Reply With Quote