Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #21
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat19899 View Post
Does the ac keep the xrb cool with the tent ends?
Yes, but better when used with these:
Attached Thumbnails
Fan.jpg  
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
Yes, but better when used with these:

will these fans work with a Jayco? I used to have them on an old Coleman pop up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure View Post
will these fans work with a Jayco? I used to have them on an old Coleman pop up...

Yes, you have a plug-in location at each tent end in the ceiling.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #24
M&A

Quote:

Tip - convert them to LED with these or equivalent:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also do the range hood light.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Yes, you have a plug-in location at each tent end in the ceiling.

nice! good to know, thanks!

Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #26

Quote:
hey, thanks for the feedback, I don't know if it's absolutely necessary to have the lift kit, we looked at a Starcraft Launch Extreme with a lift kit and I liked the option but the camper is slightly stripped down.

Have you looked into the Starcraft Launch Mini with the Extreme pkg? With that package it would have the lift. I think they are produced using the Jayco floorplan/parts, but is produced in Idaho instead of Indiana.

Launch Mini Travel Trailer 16RB Floorplan - Starcraft RV
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
Have you looked into the Starcraft Launch Mini with the Extreme pkg? With that package it would have the lift. I think they are produced using the Jayco floorplan/parts, but is produced in Idaho instead of Indiana.

Launch Mini Travel Trailer 16RB Floorplan - Starcraft RV

yes, I actually began my search with the Starcraft and I like it except it's slightly stripped down compared to the Jayco, some things I could live without but there are other things that the Jayco has that are appealing to me. Still considering the Starcraft especially if I could get a good price.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #28

Quote:
yes, I actually began my search with the Starcraft and I like it except it's slightly stripped down compared to the Jayco, some things I could live without but there are other things that the Jayco has that are appealing to me. Still considering the Starcraft especially if I could get a good price.

and I figured out that Jayco has a Baja Edition that's a lift kit but looks like it's only available west of Mississippi...

Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #29

Quote:

I'm at the same point adventure I like both the launch 17sb due to its storage and roof top ac but I also like the jayco 16xrb not sure which way to go!
Pat19899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #30

I wrote out a 45 minuet reply to this as to all the pros and cons we have had with out 16xrb, and when i hit post it logged me out and lost it all....

We bought a 2016 16xrb last year and used it extensively and i would highly recommend one to anyone that asks. We are a family of 4, and have no space issues whatsoever. Also i am towing it with a 1999 jeep grand cherokee v8 and with about 4000 miles towed last summer i have a pretty good handle on what works.

As for towing, check this guide for your specific truck. Its not as exact as running your vin number, but should give you a good idea

Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #31

Hey Jm
Which ac do you have side or roof mounted, and how does it perform ?
I gotta be cool to sleep
Old 01-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #32

@JM

[QUOTE=Pat19899;481190]Hey Jm
Which ac do you have side or roof mounted, and how does it perform ?
I gotta be cool to sleep
Old 01-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #33

Roof mounted, It does an excellent job of cooling off the camper. We camped in 30-35 degree heat this summer with a very high humidity and the AC had no issues cooling it off and keeping it there, as recommend previously, i would try to pick up one of the fans for the rear bed as the airflow is more restricted due to the bathroom.

I will say though i do not like that the AC unit does not have a more conventional like thermostat option. What i mean is once it gets to your desired temp setting (low medium max) the condenser kicks off, but the fan continues to blow. The condenser will kick in again when it gets warm but the fan never shuts off unless you shut the whole unit off. There may be a fix for this, its something i plan on researching so if possible i can fix it after my warranty is up.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #34

Any other questions please fire away, i wish i hadn't lost my novel i wrote out there.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm9301 View Post
Any other questions please fire away, i wish i hadn't lost my novel i wrote out there.
The unit I'm looking I got has a wall mounted and that's a pretty big concern for me.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #36

So I will go a slightly different route here just so you get another perspective. My wife and I have shared a Jayco Pop-Up for 9 years and absolutely loved it. Last spring we decided to move up to a TT and looked at the Hybrids like you are thinking that was the next logical step. But then we considered why exactly we were looking at TT in the first place:

* Wanted less noise - pop ups do nothing to shut out noise
* Wanted better climate control - pop ups are not that great at holding in heat or cold
* Didn't want to "set-up" camp as much as required with a pop up.
* Got really tired of taking the pop up home after a rainy vacation and having to open it back up in the garage to dry it and then pack it again.

We also had a bunch of extra stuff in boxes that I would pack each time we went on a trip. We wanted to move all that stuff into our new TT so that all we had to do was "hitch and go"

Using the list above, it became clear that buying a hybrid would not really make us happy - many of our pet peeves would still exist - even if it was on a smaller scale.

So we ended up looking at the X213 - which ended up being perfect for us because:

* No more noise and its easy to keep the inside cold or warm
* wind is no longer a factor when camping like when you have tented beds
* The X213 is 8' wide which makes a HUGE difference - please look at any 8' wide trailer and compare its amazing how different it is
* We still got the benefit of a king size bed hanging out the back so its spacious inside but still collapses small enough that I can tow it easily with my Expedition or F150.
* We have all of our stuff in it, including a dedicated set of toiletries and clothing. It takes us less than 30 minutes from the time we decide to go camping to the time we are leaving with the trailer. No packing anything else!
* Setting up takes a few minutes and a push of the button to slide the bed out.

Now of course the X213 might be bigger or heavier than you want, or it might be out of your budget, but I wanted to share our thought process coming from a tent trailer and why we decide a hybrid wasn't going to be a good choice for us. Hope that helps!
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #37

I lost yet another post on this thread it seems :-(

I wouldn't worry about the ability of the side mounted to cool off these little campers. My main concern with it would be getting that cool air back to the rear bed, earlier in the thread there was a fan shown that does an awesome job of this, i have one at the ready for those super hot and muggy days!

As for what EV4D had to say, Its all true to a degree. There is no perfect camper IMO, and the same things that may be a real plus to some are not to others.

- Having to open wet ends is still an issue, especially if you don't have a driveway or don't store your camper at your house.
- I am sure a full hard sided camper would hold its heat / cool better, i have yet to have an issue keeping warm or cool. However the condensation in the bed ends can be annoying.
- Setup is super fast thanks to the aircraft cables, honestly if the ends were supported with poles like the older tent trailers i would likely have got a hardsided camper.
- And the noise is the same as camping in a tent for the most part, Loud rowdy campgrounds can be an issue for sure. At the same time you get to hear a storm rolling in, or all those birds chirping etc etc.

all that being said, the x213 is such a nice unit! if we were to upgrade to a hardside that is the one i would want for sure! I am curious what that rear bed has for a weight limit? and if it has any play in it when AHEM "Moving around"
Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #38

Hybrids have very little storage and can be noisy. Having said that, the wife and I are happy with our 17c. With screens on three sides of you there is little need for a/c at night and who hangs around inside their camper during the day?

We camp for two weeks at a time with no electricity and are perfectly happy with our one solar panel keeping things running.

When it's packed up, it's really quite small and fits in the driveway nicely. Hybrids are much more convenient than popups. You can clean them and check on your "stuff" any time you want without opening them up.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #39

thank you for the feedback, food for thought, I'm still considering my options, glad you like your hybrid!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #40

Hi! My wife and I went from a popup to the X23b last year, February. We just sold that hybrid two weeks ago for a Jay Flight 28rls.
We wanted very much to love our hybrid, but found it wasn't our style anymore. During summer, the A/C was loud due to lacking ducts, and we kept the bed ends closed due to heat. When closed up (turtled), there was no longer a view from within. And if we did keep the bed ends open, I had to cover them with a radiant barrier. Putting up 'wet' from the rain became an issue.
We tired of crawling over one another from the beds. The bathroom was too small for our likes. The awning was garbage.
We've truly appreciated our move from our hybrid to the 28rls!
We did appreciate our hybrid's kitchen and closet space! It was also great for towing, and opened up many more potential camp sites due to its small footprint.
But in the end, we struggled with making it work our 'style' of getting away.
domotang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrids 16 xrb