Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

Considering the X19H

Hey Gang,

I have a similar post in the regular Ultra Light TT section about a X213; I'm considering that as well. The X19H is on the table because I believe its the trailer that the X17Z should have been in the first place; plenty of CCC and slightly more spacious inside w/ a little more storage and drawers.

I really dislike manufacturers (I say this b/c Jayco is not the only one) making travel trailers and hybrids around the 3500 pound frame in order to market to new RV owners that tow with less capable vehicles. Only after you own it do you truly begin to realize the sacrifices made to hit that 3500 pound mark.

Rant aside, we do like what the X17Z brought to the table as far as creature comforts and layout, so the X19H is on the table. Plus its cheaper than that X213. Either will be purchased w/ the 2" lift kit, and I'm thinking I could probably do better on the television be it either price or size for the same price Jayco is charging.

Anybody feel the power package is a can't miss add on? My dealer does not stock the X19H with either the lift kit or the power package so mine would need to be ordered.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #2

Personally, I'm a bit leery of power awnings and tongue jacks, so I opted for no power package on our X20e. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Two reasons why we went without: 1) we boondock about 50% of the time and 2) the jack and awning systems are fairly easy to operate on their own and have little chance of breakage, IMO.

Hope you find the camper that works well for you.
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #3

I'm actually fine w/ the manual awning on the X17Z we currently have; it was more the jack. I've never towed w/ a WDH before so I'm wondering if the power jack adds anything to this equation. That being said, the X19 isn't particularly tongue heavy so I was leaning towards going w/o the power package.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

I added a power tongue jack to our X23B and love it. Cranking wasn't difficult with about 600# on the tongue but I like toys (the bride likes it too - hint, hint). It has a crank attachment if the motor fails. I (and I think most folks) use the power jack to raise the TT/TV combination to set the spring bars on the WDH. Our TT came with a power awning and it has been trouble free over the 2+ years we owned our TT. "S1" and "Roll" both make good points about the other side of the conversation tho.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

I have been camping my entire life, from tiny little mountaineering tents to traditional TTs. Our 23B is our first trailer we purchased, before that we would barrow from my parents or rent a MH. Our 23B is the first electric awning I have used. Personally, I like the manual awning, they tend to extend out farther, you can move the base leg and have it setup like a column, so it is nearly completely out of the way, and they are extremely reliable. Typically they are easier to setup and takedown with two people, but after a little practice you can do it by yourself really quickly. We have never had any mechanical issues with our power awning. But I hit my head all the time on the support arms if I do not hang something from the low point. They are very susceptible to wind damage. If it ever fails in the open position, I could be a real pain to field repair. Ours came with a long auxiliary power cable. I looked over the instructions once. You have to remove the motor cover and jumper the leads and connect the other ends to some other source of 12V power. There is no manual crank, so what do you do if it is not due to a bad power supply????

As for the power tongue jack, that is a nice to have, and some people would say a necessity with a WDH. They can be easily added in the future. I do not have one, but I am younger (40’s) and do not have any issues doing a little manual labor, and technically it is one of my kid’s job to do. It seems to take about the same amount of time to do it manually verse with a powered jack. So if it is raining you will get just as wet. As for the labor for dis/connecting the TV and TT. You basically have to lift and lower the unit twice. If you car connecting up. You need to lift the tongue to clear for the ball, and then lower onto the ball. Once the ball is connected to the tongue, you need to lift again to reduce the forces from the bars, so you can connect them up, then you need to lower the tongue back down and raise the jack all the way. Depending on your vehicle, WDH and site location will depend on how much you need to raise and lower. With a WDH like Equalizer brand you need to lift until all the weight is off the bars, to be safe. With Reese (chains) you have a small lever bar that you need to use to lift and lower the bars, so you can have some tension on the bars. However, with the Reese system you can make your own bar that is 2.5 – 3 feet long with a bend on the end, and then you almost never have to lift the unit to release or apply the tension. In regards to the WDH, get a good one with integrated sway control. I have used both the Equalizer brand and the Reese Dual Cam WHD, and like them both.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Team

I also like the versatility of the manual awning over the power awning, but appreciate my power tongue jack. Of course my trailer has a TW of 900+ so its nice to raise the tongue and truck with the jack to engage/disengage the WD spring bars. Many folks DO like their power awning however as indicated in this poll/discussion:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=poll
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

I wouldn't use my awning as much if it was manual. While not difficult, I don't like to leave it open when I'm not there or when I'm sleeping and would find it a hassle to extend and retract all of the time.

I like the power jack, but it's not a deal breaking. My wife likes it a lot though. I'm not a fan of lifting the TV with the jack. I just hook up the WD bars before putting much weight on the hitch and then lower the tongue.
Former owner - 2013 Jayco X20E
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #8

Give me the buttons and power everything...... I like 'em!

The power jack is priceless....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I really dislike manufacturers (I say this b/c Jayco is not the only one) making travel trailers and hybrids around the 3500 pound frame in order to market to new RV owners that tow with less capable vehicles. Only after you own it do you truly begin to realize the sacrifices made to hit that 3500 pound mark.
It's all in the eyes of the beholder. If you go in knowing you can't carry everything and may have to limit your camping gear, the 3500 pound trailer offers a lot of convenience -- especially for two people. We didn't need to purchase a new Ford F-150 to tow it and it takes up less room in the yard when in storage. We just plan for our trips which is fun, too. So we don't bring our Dutch oven, full compliment of cast iron pots and pans, our anti-gravity chairs, etc. We look for lower weight alternatives and we are fine. We fill our water tanks at the campground and dump when we leave the campground. It just takes a bit of planning, but it becomes second nature.
Our goal was to have a nice trailer that is comfortable, but not so comfortable that we don't want to leave it and sit inside rather than around a campfire. The 17Z works for us and a lot of other folks with smaller vehicles. We knew we were buying a weight limited trailer and we are fine with that. It was a nice step up from a pop-up.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
It's all in the eyes of the beholder. If you go in knowing you can't carry everything and may have to limit your camping gear, the 3500 pound trailer offers a lot of convenience -- especially for two people. We didn't need to purchase a new Ford F-150 to tow it and it takes up less room in the yard when in storage. We just plan for our trips which is fun, too. So we don't bring our Dutch oven, full compliment of cast iron pots and pans, our anti-gravity chairs, etc. We look for lower weight alternatives and we are fine. We fill our water tanks at the campground and dump when we leave the campground. It just takes a bit of planning, but it becomes second nature.
Our goal was to have a nice trailer that is comfortable, but not so comfortable that we don't want to leave it and sit inside rather than around a campfire. The 17Z works for us and a lot of other folks with smaller vehicles. We knew we were buying a weight limited trailer and we are fine with that. It was a nice step up from a pop-up.
I knew full well the CCC of the X17Z. I also know, from reading this forum and others, that in years past Jayco put a 3500 pound axle on the X17Z. Later they moved it to a 3300 pound axle. Both were fine and allowed for some play w/ your weights. This 2014 has a 3000 pound axle; loading this trailer to max (not hard) puts 100% stress on the axle. I don't like that at all. Its not like the X17Z is a trailer w/ 1500 pounds of CCC and MAYBE you RARELY hit the top number of that once in a blue moon. These newer X17s are running max axle all the time.

Just not for me.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #11

Ditto glsimms-- I do believe that after a couple day's of rain the extra size of the 19H will be appreciated. if the $ difference is affordable. Larry
Old 12-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #12

I see the axles on the 2014s are 2200 pounds each. Which gives you 4400 pounds of total weight and I assume 600 going on the tongue in order to pull it fully loaded to its max GVWR. Anybody put theirs on a Sherline Tongue Weight scale or are otherwise concerned if you're packing it heavy? I'm pretty sure its a non-issue if you're not going up to the top end of the weights.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #13

In regards to the power package , we also have a 19H with the power package and have mixed emotions towards the power awning. As with most owners that use a power awning, I think there is a mutual concern on the how to get the awning closed in the event of a total motor failure.The cable package is a nice feature in the event of a power failure but doesn't help you much if the motor is the problem.That being said we love the fact that it is so easy to use in comparison to a manual version, particularly when the rain and,or wind picks up at night and don't have to venture outside to get the awning in. My wife finds it particularly convenient on girls weekends when such happens. For the toy lover , its the best to just push a button and watch it come out !
[ Have to admit that I have that toy lover gene at times ]
I'm sure you will love your 19H as much as we love ours,with or without the power package.
Alex19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #14

My hybrid came with a strap or something that is supposed to be used to retract the awning in case there is a failure. My biggest concern is if there is a gust of wind that bends the support bars - probably because I saw an awning like this when I picked up my hybrid from the dealer when new.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
Site Team

We love our 19h. It's got plenty of space although I'd love a little more storage space.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #16

Does the X19's power awning have a pitch feature? Or does it just open flat and that's the end of it? I do like the way you can pitch the manual awnings so you can sit underneath during the rain w/o fear of getting wet. Or dumped on w/ those auto dump features.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Does the X19's power awning have a pitch feature? Or does it just open flat and that's the end of it? I do like the way you can pitch the manual awnings so you can sit underneath during the rain w/o fear of getting wet. Or dumped on w/ those auto dump features.
I do not know if the new ones have a tilt feature, as I have seen some power awnings on much older units that do not allow for pitching. We can pitch ours (2012). When you are at the dealer you can see some detent pins on the awning arms and a series of holes you can adjust the awning to. Our dealer told us not to have it more than three holes difference between the two ends. We have tried a number of different pitch angles, and for me I think we have one end (closest to the door) down one click and the other end (away from the door) down a total of three clicks. With it set up this way, I do not think I have seen the awning every do auto dump. When we had it in the factory position it would auto dump with the lights rains, and it was a shocker if you were outside when it happened, as there was no warning to it dumping. Both my brother and myself have walked under the end once as it auto dumped and got very wet.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #18

Ours (2013) can be pitched, but it's a manual process. It's not difficult, but I haven't used it. I go inside when it rains Also, I'm nervous about trying to retract it when it's pitched because I may forget to loosen the hand-screws. I don't think it would cause damage but I don't want to find out.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Ours (2013) can be pitched, but it's a manual process. It's not difficult, but I haven't used it. I go inside when it rains Also, I'm nervous about trying to retract it when it's pitched because I may forget to loosen the hand-screws. I don't think it would cause damage but I don't want to find out.
Interesting, we do not have any hand screws on ours. Once it is set, to the angle I liked, we just extend and retract as needed via a push of a button.

Changes are happening all the time so, you may just want to ask your dealer about how the current units pitch.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 01-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
We love our 19h. It's got plenty of space although I'd love a little more storage space.
Hey Snake Check out the mods section for making the space between the dinette & the front bunk accessible for mega storage of blankets/ pillows & foldable clothes etc. I try to pack the bulkier items as to not add much to my tongue weight. Larry