Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

Cover X18D in Arizona?

Hi All! Just back last night from an eight day journey from Phoenix to Des Moines and back to pick up our baby from RV Direct/Des Moines RV.

It's home and in our driveway while we clean it out and get ready to store it outside at my mom's house as she has a large yard and side yard.

We plan on camping at least once per weekend throughout the year and more than that in the summer to escape the "dry" heat.

My mom doesn't have any trees in her side yard nor does her neighbor. Just wondering if we should cover it throughout the fall/winter/spring seasons or just wait until it gets closer to summer to get a cover? Last year we had three hard freezes so I suppose we'll have to "winterize" the unit, whatever that means. That's my hubby's job and he does it well.

It will only freeze here and not snow unless hell plans on freezing over this year. So we don't have to worry about snow. Just a couple of freezes. But we'll be camping every month, Lord willing, so just wondering if it's too much work for not enough payoff. We will definitely cover for the summer as the UV rays destroy everything around here.

Any thoughts? To cover or not in Phoenix in the fall/winter/spring?

Thanks so much!

Kim in Phoenix

BTW - I have nothing but good to say about buying from RV Direct and the orientation from Des Moines RV. Every aspect of this transaction was top notch and would highly recommend them. We probably did not save money after the expenses of the trip but got to show our kids seven states and more corn than should be allowed. It would have been about the same as the local dealer was offering after expenses but then we wouldn't have gotten to see a lot of friends and relatives and camped in Pagosa Springs, CO!! The mineral baths alone were worth it! :hihi:

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Sorry it seems no one ever answered you- I would only be concerned about sun damage. Tire covers and I would ensure that you roof is treated and conditioned regularly......a cover may be over kill?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking the same thing about a cover. We did put some fabulous white tire covers on. I don't really see any covers on rvs here in AZ. So that must be the answer and I can spare myself another $300-400! Will just have to have dh condition the trailer well each year.

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #4

Kim,

We're headed north next weekend to pick up our trailer from Des Moines RV from Goodyear. Because the sun is so intense in AZ, even during winter months - we have opted to find indoor storage for the trailer. Perhaps it's overkill.....
MikeWiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #5

How exciting! We just made that trip. It was gorgeous. LOVE Des Moines RV. Trevor did our orientation and did a super job.

Hope you have a great trip. Did you buy from RV Direct, too? We got a great deal from them. It was worth it and fun to camp on the way home. There is a great state park in NE on the way home from Des Moines. Right off the highway and gorgeous. Showers, everything.

Congratulations!!!

Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 10-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

Kim,

We did indeed go through RV Direct. There was a used Starcraft 237CKS in Phoenix that we absolutely loved but we thought that the price was too high for a two year old trailer. We priced a new X23J (exact same floorplan) through RV Direct and it ended up being $400 more than the dealers "absolute best price" on the used trailer. Pretty excited about the trip too.

We're planning to make a sprint up there to get the trailer and then enjoy a long weekend coming back....through Nebraska, Colorado & Utah. Our tentative plan was to overnight at an RV park in North Platte, NE....but that's only because we don't have a better idea or know the area. What's the state park that you're talking about?

Thanks,

Mike
MikeWiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #7

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/parks/...sp?Area_No=273

We came home through NE and CO. We have friends in CO so we went out of our way to see them but came home through Pagosa Springs and hit the hot springs. We wanted to come home through UT (Moab) because following the river in Utah to Moab is gorgeous and we wanted to camp along it. But my husband didn't want to drive the continental divide to Breckenridge with a new truck and trailer. Turns out now we could have done it easy but we weren't sure at the time.

If you can, you'll win romance points with your wife if you can spend extra time in IO by visiting the bridges of Madison County. Imagine me leaning out the window at the sign as we drive by because we didn't have time....

We took 8 days to drive and visit two friends on the way. We drove from here to OK City, stayed with friends, then straight up to Des Moines from there. Then through NE to CO, Four Corners, and home. It was hard with three boys in a crew cab Silverado but that's why we took breaks to visit. And that park in NE was great for them. Stay at a spot near the lake.

Hope that helps!

Kim

2012 Jayco X18D