Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Decisions Decisions

Hi guys

Our TV is a Mazda CX9 (with tow package) and we purchased our X17Z last fall. We REALLY wanted to buy the X23F but unfortunately our TV couldn't handle it. We love our 17Z but with 4 kids and a dog, can get pretty snug, but doable.

We are toying around with upgrading our TV. We found a Audi Q7 TDI (diesel). The Audi can pull 6600lbs. (tow package) We need a 7 passenger TV

My question is, does anyone tow with an Audi Q7 or a diesel TV? The gas milage is what turns us on the most and the relief of not having to worry about our transmission dropping out lol

I think if and when we upgrade our TV, I will look at upgrading the TT to the 23F. I think the layout is fabulous with a few kids.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #2

I'd be more concerned about the payload capacity of the Audi than I would about the weight it could feasibly pull.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I'd be more concerned about the payload capacity of the Audi than I would about the weight it could feasibly pull.
I'm new to the TT world. How do I find out the Audi payload capacity?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

OK think I found it
6600 towing capacity
4861 curb weight

Is that enough pay load weight to play with?
So what exactly does that mean? Is it a good or bad thing? I hate this newbie stuff
Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #5

I did a little searching on the Audi website for you. It is really hard to find numbers on this vehicle. The curb weight (before any options or dealer ad ons) is 5412 lbs for the gas engine or 5192 lbs for the diesel engine. They did not publish the GVWR but another site published it as 7044. That leaves you with 1632 lbs for cargo (including all passengers) and the trailer hitch weight (I used the heavier curb weight for my math).

The X23F GVW is 5995 meaning that with 10-15% of that weight on the hitch, that would be 780 lbs (I used 13% for this number) leaving you with 852 for cargo and passengers in the tow vehicle. You could eat that up pretty quickly since you need seating for 7. I also know the X23F has a very large cargo carrying capacity and if you pack carefully you could easily knock 1000 off of that number. Also remember, any options, like A/C, that you might want on the trailer count as cargo as well. I looked at an X23F last weekend that had the TV, Customer Value Package, and Power Package and it weighted about 4450.

I would recommend getting an actual weight off of a Q7 since you don't own it yet and can't weight it at a CAT scale. You should be able to find this number on a sticker on the driver's door. Also see if the dealer has the X23F in stock and get the weight off of the yellow sticker on the inside of the door. Weigh what you would put in the vehicles and do the math yourself.

We looked at the X23F as well and really love the floor plan, but I think my Trailblazer, which has similar numbers to yours, would be cutting it close (and there are only 4 of us). I'm going to wait until I can afford a bigger truck before getting a bigger trailer. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully Rustic Eagle will respond as he gives great advice when it comes to weights and towing. Good luck!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #6

If you know what your numbers are, use this to find out where you stand. Actually I think most would benefit from giving this spreadsheet a spin. I posted a seperate thread about it, hoping it would get STICKIED. I can't figure out why it wouldn't be; the spreadsheet is pretty darn useful.

http://rvitch.com/resources/resources.php

Grab the Towing Capacity Spreadsheet. Plug in all your numbers (be honest), and it'll tell you where you stand.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #7

Thanks guys! I have some homework to do!

Scott, 2 of the 4 kids make up about 60 pounds combined so thats a wee bit of a help until they grow! haha But geesh this is very confusing. They really try to push the 23F as a TT that most SUV's could tow! How false is that! o.O
Old 03-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
They really try to push the 23F as a TT that most SUV's could tow! How false is that! o.O
Probably not False -- but certainly not the whole story. Many SUVs probably can safely pull the 23F, the issue is when the SUV is also full of passengers and cargo using up the available cargo carrying capacity.

Its often mis-understood that the tow vehicle needs to have sufficient cargo capacity to handle the trailers tongue weight. Typically in 1500/150 class pickups and SUVs this is where problems start to arrise.

Balances this and finances gets tough. I made the wrong decision initally. I compromised our first TT purcashe based on a 1/2 ton Silverado and 1/2 ton Tahoe we already owned. Quickly we realized the trailer wasn't a good fit for our family, then we had kid #3, and ultimatly had to trade up TV and then TT.

Just one of life's many expensive lessons learned.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #9

Umm, yah I'll agree w/ life lessons costing $$. I went from a 2012 Honda Ridgeline towing a Jayco 1207 to my current 2013 F150 towing my soon to be had X213. And lets not forget the X17z in the middle. Eeeeeesh.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #10

This is a crazy expensive life lesson here too! All the suvs that can comfortably tow...drink fuel like crazy oh and sticker price...buy a small house! haha When I figure out the new TV, I know I will want to upgrade the TT. Not sure if I should sell the TT privately or trade it in at the dealer. My dealer said I would take a 20% hit
Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #11

I tow my hybrid with a 2013 VW Touareg TDI and it tows 7,700 lbs. and it weighs in at around 5K. I get 33 mpg on the highway and with my EXP21M at 4,800 lbs I get 23 mpg. I almost don't even know the TT is behind me. Going up a7% grade it runs at only 28-2900 RPM. It, like the Q7 ( both have the same underpinnings & made on the same line) have the same 3.0 TDI and have the tip- tropic transmission . Going down that slope I drop it down to 3rd and hardly ever use the brakes. I don't have the 3rd row seat so yes you need the Q7. I have 2 other Audi's, A4 and a TT and I traded in my A6Avant for the Touareg and it's a great car just like my A's. Too bad your not in Vancouver ,I would have you over and give it a drive. Check and make sure that the wiring harness is included with the trailer towing pkg.( mine was not). The wiring harness is for the brake controller . Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Gary
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
This is a crazy expensive life lesson here too! All the suvs that can comfortably tow...drink fuel like crazy oh and sticker price...buy a small house! haha When I figure out the new TV, I know I will want to upgrade the TT. Not sure if I should sell the TT privately or trade it in at the dealer. My dealer said I would take a 20% hit
No question sell it private party...both the buyer and yourslef will do better. Two different dealers offered me $9500 and $10500 for my '12 26BH respectively. I got over $14K selling privatly...which was still a good dealer for the buyer compared to buying used off a lot and for me when you consider the trade in offers.

I listed it on CraigsList, it took about 4 weeks during the holidays.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote