Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #1

Deposit on 2015 x23b - pre-sale inspection?

Hi all,

I have been on this forum before and have found the community and archived info here to be indispensable. I had a 2009 Jayco 1207 that I sold and just put a deposit down on a 2015 x23b that's located about a 2 hours from my home, but they require 2 trips as they won't let me drive off without plates. So I need to buy it, drive home, register it, and go back for final pick-up.

A couple quick questions:
1. Pre-Sale Inspection - I'm most worried about a leak/water damage. I know to check soft spots on the floor, look for swollen particle board, get a ladder and peek at the roof. I also know i should check the plastic ring attaching the tent ends to the trailer and make sure there are no cracks/gaps there. Any other major things to look for? What would be the top things you would check?
2. Deal Numbers - I'm not looking for a smoking deal; i just don't want to get robbed and the dealer accepted my offer without any counter which always makes me nervous. I am at $14,000 even for the trailer ($13,350), Reese WD hitch/shank/sway bars ($500; matches etrailer.com pricing), and $150 doc fee. Trailer has power jack, power awning, aluminum wheels, TV for options. NADA average retail value without options is exactly $13,350 which is my purchase price. What do you guys think?

I am so excited to take my wife and kids camping in the new rig. First trip is booked for Memorial Day Weekend, but it's 3 hours away so a bit far for a shakedown trip.

Thanks all!
the_chinadian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #2

It really does sound like you've done your homework. The only thing I'd add is to make sure you check the stabilizers. That was the one mistake I made when checking out my 2013 X17Z when I bought it 2.5 years ago. I never put the stabilizers down, and thus didn't realize the back ones were bent

For your first trip, I'd definitely go somewhere a little closer. If you can't squeeze in a short trip before Memorial Day, maybe set it all the way up and camp out in your driveway.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
The only thing I'd add is to make sure you check the stabilizers.

maybe set it all the way up and camp out in your driveway.
That is extraordinarily helpful. I would not have thought to lower the stabilizer jacks. And actually, I bent one on my old 1207 so I know how easy that is to do. good tip!

And yes, i can open it up in the driveway, but regrettably i'm part of an HOA that will be all over me about the trailer...
Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #4

Insist on a PDI. They should be able to show you how things work, because there is a lot that's different from a pop-up. But also they can demonstrate that everything works. Do not sign final papers until then. Since you are not buying new, they may charge for this as a service.

Also look for delaminination. Make sure the slideout moves in and out without a lot of binding. I will warn that the slide will bounce a little but should generally move smoothly. It's the same slide as our X20E.

It's May. You will never get a "smoking deal" in May. We bought ours new in May. Instead of the customary 30% off MSRP, the best I could do was about 18% off MSRP. We also didn't want to wait another 6 months. I did get them to setup my existing hitch for free.

I don't know about CA, but most larger car and RV dealers in WI carry a stock of a plates and are authorized by the state to issue them.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chinadian1 View Post
That is extraordinarily helpful. I would not have thought to lower the stabilizer jacks. And actually, I bent one on my old 1207 so I know how easy that is to do. good tip!

And yes, i can open it up in the driveway, but regrettably i'm part of an HOA that will be all over me about the trailer...
I didn't facepalm too hard at not checking that. Because I'd never owned a camper before, I brought a friend along who had owned several. He didn't think about it either!

HOA's can be particularly picky when it comes to campers. Ours, thankfully, allows them if they sit behind the front corner of the house. Our driveway goes to the back corner, so we're good. A lot of houses in the neighborhood would have no way to get them "legally" into the driveway.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Insist on a PDI. They should be able to show you how things work, because there is a lot that's different from a pop-up. But also they can demonstrate that everything works. Do not sign final papers until then. Since you are not buying new, they may charge for this as a service.

Also look for delaminination. Make sure the slideout moves in and out without a lot of binding. I will warn that the slide will bounce a little but should generally move smoothly. It's the same slide as our X20E.

It's May. You will never get a "smoking deal" in May. We bought ours new in May. Instead of the customary 30% off MSRP, the best I could do was about 18% off MSRP. We also didn't want to wait another 6 months. I did get them to setup my existing hitch for free.

I don't know about CA, but most larger car and RV dealers in WI carry a stock of a plates and are authorized by the state to issue them.
Hi DocBrown - appreciate the tips! Will plan for a PDI. They indicated they would do a full inspection and demonstration of the trailer. BUT they indicated they would do that when I come to pick it up. They want me to sign the sales papers before the PDI. Not sure how to work the logistics on this since they're 2 hours away and I need the sales documentation to register it, but they won't have it ready for me when I go to look at it. I'll talk to them about how to get what I need to feel confident about the sale.

I'll check for delamination. I'll google some photos of delamination "symptoms" so I know what to look for. There's no slide, but I'll for sure test the opening and closing of the bunk ends and look for gaps and check the seals.

I sold my 1207 in CA, but I live in Maine now. Wooo! crazy move, but I love this part of the country.

I was just reading Krazyboutkampin's water system care thread. i love this forum. so helpful. Hopefully I'll know enough someday to give back to the community too rather than just taking info.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
I didn't facepalm too hard at not checking that. Because I'd never owned a camper before, I brought a friend along who had owned several. He didn't think about it either!

HOA's can be particularly picky when it comes to campers. Ours, thankfully, allows them if they sit behind the front corner of the house. Our driveway goes to the back corner, so we're good. A lot of houses in the neighborhood would have no way to get them "legally" into the driveway.
That's good. still a bummer on the jack though. But on the flip side, I'm sure the fix was fairly straight forward. they just bolt on, right?

There's so much to remember and also only so much time during the sales process. I need to make my list and sort it in order of severity of potential issues... Water damage/delamination (per DocBrown) are probably my top priority.

My HOA doesn't allow a camper on my property at all for more than 24 hours and the 23b is too big for a garage so I'll be storing it at a facility 20 minutes from my house to the tune of $35/month. But hey, that's the cost of making memories with the kiddos, right?

Your HOA > my HOA
Old 05-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
There's no slide,
You said 2015 X23B, correct? The X23B and X20Es all have a small slide out with a couch. Its wonderful. Only moves out about a foot, but makes the inside so much roomier.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...-feather/x23b/

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-feather/x23b/
Old 05-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
You said 2015 X23B, correct? The X23B and X20Es all have a small slide out with a couch. Its wonderful. Only moves out about a foot, but makes the inside so much roomier.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...-feather/x23b/

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-feather/x23b/

My brain is not firing on all cylinders today... yes, that's right. the couch is on a slide. So I should probably check the lamination around the slide as well as the slide mechanism itself.

Although, correct me if I am wrong, but overall it seems like the slide is rarely an issue on the x23b, right? Since it's a shorter, smaller slide with a simpler mechanism?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

You know, I really haven't read about issues with it. It's really simple compared to other slides. It's a single track in the middle.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
That's good. still a bummer on the jack though. But on the flip side, I'm sure the fix was fairly straight forward. they just bolt on, right?
Yep. It's one of the easier repairs you can do on a camper. I'm not terribly handy, and it was no trouble for me.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #12

my pre-sale inspection check list

Here is my draft list/email to the sales person:

Hi _(sales person)__,

I want to give you a heads up on a few things that I will need to do/know before I can sign the sales documents and hand you a check for the balance. We will need to allow time for me to inspect the following (per recommendations from other x23b and jayco hybrid owners):

1. roof - I will need you/dealership to provide a ladder. I won't climb onto the roof, but I'd like to look at the roof and inspect the dicor to ensure its not dried out or cracking
2. exterior wall delamination - I'll be looking/checking for any potential signs of delamination on the exterior walls including the exterior and roof of the slide out; this can look like small cracks or bubbling or wavy surface on the fiberglass.
3. stabilizer jacks - i was told to fully lower them and raise them to ensure they have not been bent
4. interior water intrusion - i plan to check the floor for soft spots, check the walls for bubbling including inside cabinets, check particle board for anything thats swollen; in particular, I was told to carefully inspect the bathroom for any signs of water damage around the shower stall.
5. tent connection to trailer body - one of the most common problems on the x23b and all jayco hybrids, is how the tent ends are attached to the body of the trailer. there is a plastic piece of trim that attaches the vinyl to the wall of the camper. this plastic trim is known to crack and separate. I'll be looking for cracks and any separation or possible issues with the seal.
6. slide out operation - i need to see this operate in and out a couple times to ensure there is no binding on the slide mechanism.
7. bunk door seals - i'll want to inspect the door seals to ensure that they are in good shape and close the doors completely to check for gaps when the trailer is fully enclosed.
8. hot water heater smell - i need to check the hot water heater reservoir for any strong smells; this would indicate that water has sat in it too long requiring it to be properly flushed and cleansed; it's ideal to drain the water heater between use.
9. demonstration of power awning - i need to fully close and fully open the awning and ensure the operation is smooth and there is no damage to the awning material
10. warranty work summary - given that you sold this trailer new to the original owner who traded it back in for an upgrade, your dealership should be aware of any warranty work he claimed on it. Can you summarize what, if any, warranty work has been performed on the trailer?

The above list just gives me confidence about the sale to sign the documents and hand you a cashiers check. I still want a pre-delivery inspection at the time of delivery with a full walk through / demonstration of the rest of the appliances and electrical/water/waste/hvac/media systems.

My understanding is that your pre-owned sale warranty covers appliances (stove, fridge, microwave, heater, A/C, water heater) through Columbus Day 2019 of this camping season. Can you confirm my understanding is correct? Can this be incorporated into the sales documents so it's clear?

Thank you for your time and effort on this deal. I am serious about purchasing the trailer and am willing to put a larger deposit down if you are concerned about my inspections/requests above.