Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #1

Dining Room Table-Jayco 23B

We just got back from our first month-long trip with our hybrid...loved it! I have just a few questions for anyone that may have suggestions.
When we are traveling, we do not fold out beds, we just use couch and table for sleeping until we reach our destination. Our table does not seem stable when set up for a bed. Actually, after just this trip it has indented in the middle. Any ideas for more support when using as a bed?
Also, when using the closet space for hanging clothes, it takes away from shelf space. Any suggestions for hanging clothes? Thank you for any suggestions!
MavsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
BCK

Can't comment on the table and not familiar with the layout of your TT model but we bought an extendable shower curtain rod and installed it over the tub/shower above the surround. Works great for hanging cloths, wetsuits, etc.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

Our X20E is the baby brother of the 23B. Same basic floor plan, less closet space, 2 feet shorter.

We hated the table in ours, especially the stupid legs they used. I replaced the legs with the older style folding legs. We take our table outside while camping and it got soaked when we were away from the trailer. Of course it swelled up on the edges.

I had a woodworker friend make a new table out of cedar at his suggestion. It's 1/3 the weight of the original table and far stronger. It does not flex if I stand on it while dropped in place as a bed. It cost me about $50 in materials. It's also pretty much water proof.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

table support

I made a support out of 2 small 2x4s with a small
4 x4 between them. The 2x4s are flat
It looks like a capital I It sits underneath the table for additional support
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #5

DW and I just put the table in storage and I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to use.
We rarely configure things to use as a bed, but when we do, the plywood is easier to deal with than the awful table the unit comes with.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Our X20E is the baby brother of the 23B. Same basic floor plan, less closet space, 2 feet shorter.

We hated the table in ours, especially the stupid legs they used. I replaced the legs with the older style folding legs. We take our table outside while camping and it got soaked when we were away from the trailer. Of course it swelled up on the edges.

I had a woodworker friend make a new table out of cedar at his suggestion. It's 1/3 the weight of the original table and far stronger. It does not flex if I stand on it while dropped in place as a bed. It cost me about $50 in materials. It's also pretty much water proof.

Nice job! That cedar is exactly what I'm looking for to replace my swelled up piece of junk that came with my trailer. I can do all the work but where do you buy a piece of wood like that?
Old 08-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #7

I own 2006 23b i would suggest looking for another table like yours their rv salvage yards accross the country and if you locate one the i am thinking you could you use wood 2x2's long ways to reinforce then use same wood to reinforce wood that supports table when in down position but if you handy finishing wood then procede like the other rver suggested
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #8

How about say 3-4 slats placed perpendicular to the sag under the table top. How I would do it is I would notch out the 2 rails that now hold the top and that would accept the 3-4 slats to keep them in place and also keep the top on an even plane. I would not attach these to the top but store them under the seat.

PS: I used to live in 9 mile falls on South Bank Rd.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #9

I solved the sagging problem on my original table (which I don't like and want to replace). It sags in the center along the outside edge. I screwed a 1/2" floor flange to the bottom of the table at this point. Then I bought a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe to screw into the flange. I cut it to the proper length so it would reach the floor and put a rubber crutch tip on the unthreaded end. Now, if I'm using the table as a bed all I have to do is screw in the short piece of pipe and it does a great job of propping up the center.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
I solved the sagging problem on my original table I screwed a 1/2" floor flange to the bottom of the table at this point. Then I bought a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe to screw into the flange. I cut it to the proper length so it would reach the floor and put a rubber crutch tip on the unthreaded end.
i

I like this idea, keep it simple,fast and easy to store.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Nice job! That cedar is exactly what I'm looking for to replace my swelled up piece of junk that came with my trailer. I can do all the work but where do you buy a piece of wood like that?
It's not a single piece but boards glued together. A guy I work with does this stuff for a hobby. He has a shop above his garage.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
It's not a single piece but boards glued together. A guy I work with does this stuff for a hobby. He has a shop above his garage.
Great, thanks. I'll find some cedar boards and glue them together myself; I have the necessary clamps.

I'm thinking some marine varnish would help keep things reasonably weatherproof for the time the table would sit outside during a camping trip. Did you varnish or otherwise seal yours?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Great, thanks. I'll find some cedar boards and glue them together myself; I have the necessary clamps.

I'm thinking some marine varnish would help keep things reasonably weatherproof for the time the table would sit outside during a camping trip. Did you varnish or otherwise seal yours?
That's exactly what I did, marine Spar Varnish. It gave it a nice warm color. Two coats. Water just beads up.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
That's exactly what I did, marine Spar Varnish. It gave it a nice warm color. Two coats. Water just beads up.
Thanks again. The faster I get rid of that hundred pound swelled up particle board piece of s**t the better! Oh, did I mention that I hate it?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #15

I hear you. That was one of the best mods I even made.