Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #1

dinosaur board / hot water heater confirmation

My hot water heater was goofy last season, and it continues this season. I've read enough posts on here to know that a dinosaur board is what cures most issues. So I am going to order one.

I believe I have a dometic 96160 gas/electric.

Is this the correct dinosaur board for it?

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec.../dp/B0130Y8I1K

I believe so, but just wanted to double check. Attached is a pic (best one I had) of my water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.23.40 AM.png  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
CAG

Rather than guess or get the wrong info here why don't you contact Dinosaur? I understand they are very helpful.

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

Customer service has gotten so awful nowadays I'm always dreading making that call. But, I did just give them a ring, spoke to a live person right away - who confirmed that is indeed the right board. Thanks for the tip on them being so helpful.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #4

I wouldn't get a board that wasn't covered in epoxy because that is a wet environment. I have a Dometic that is still in warranty with the same board you show in your picture. Dometic will not send me a new board. The gas has quit working and I have diagnosed a bad board. Their Zhingdong boards are bad ( if I remember the name correctly). And I believe the replacement part is 91365 which is a replacement board for several other boards. It looks different and is slightly larger but is the proper board.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I wouldn't get a board that wasn't covered in epoxy because that is a wet environment. I have a Dometic that is still in warranty with the same board you show in your picture. Dometic will not send me a new board. The gas has quit working and I have diagnosed a bad board. Their Zhingdong boards are bad ( if I remember the name correctly). And I believe the replacement part is 91365 which is a replacement board for several other boards. It looks different and is slightly larger but is the proper board.
They sell a cover for the Dinosaur board that protects it. I haven't really heard of any issues with water getting in them. It looks like the cover completely encases the board and it's mount. I have not replaced mine but in all the years I've owned trailers I've never gotten it wet when draining the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec...42A5PJFF07B2ZM
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #6

I believe it comes with a cover. Will take a look at it when it arrives.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #7

Gotcha. I guess I still worry about humidity, being outside and all. And maybe this is something I'm making up but it also would seem like the epoxy would make the circuit board much less flexible and less likely to get micro-cracks. My dad was the local television repairman for 30 years as I was growing up and just as a precaution after fixing people's televisions he would resolder hundreds of connections to avoid micro cracks because the circuit boards got cheaper and cheaper as the years went along. They eventually were made out of paper.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
Gotcha. I guess I still worry about humidity, being outside and all. And maybe this is something I'm making up but it also would seem like the epoxy would make the circuit board much less flexible and less likely to get micro-cracks. My dad was the local television repairman for 30 years as I was growing up and just as a precaution after fixing people's televisions he would resolder hundreds of connections to avoid micro cracks because the circuit boards got cheaper and cheaper as the years went along. They eventually were made out of paper.

The Dinosaur boards are well know and respected replacements and have been used as such for years in RVs.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote