Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

DISH Tailgator

I am looking at a DISH Tailgator for my camper. Does anyone have this set up? If you do, what are the pros and cons of it.
Marteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

I bought a tailgater last year. I am already a Dish subscriber so after the initial cost I only pay $7/month. I really like it and have used it several times. Pros are it is very portable and easly to setup and can be used pretty much anywhere you can get power to it. The unit automatically locates the satellite and seems to get a signal easily. The cons are the upfront cost and the fact that it has to be wired directly to the reveceiver, as the receiver powers the motor inside the tailgater. The amplifier that is built into the wall plate in most TT's will interfere with sending the power to the tailgater. If you are already a Dish subscriber I would say it is worth it.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

I am a DISH subscriber and I found the tailgator and the receiver for 349.00 on line. Most are asking 499.00 for the set up. Can the coax be screwed into the outside recepticle on the camper if I leave the amplifier in the off mode?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marteau View Post
I am a DISH subscriber and I found the tailgator and the receiver for 349.00 on line. Most are asking 499.00 for the set up. Can the coax be screwed into the outside recepticle on the camper if I leave the amplifier in the off mode?
I purchased mine from Amazon for about the same price as yours. Unfortunately, I found that the amplifier, even if turned off, still gets power and interferes with the tailgater. I replaced the wall plate with one designed for TV antenna and Sat/Cable. The TV coax goes through the amp and the SAT/Cable does not. I bought the wall plate from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-75...+TV+wall+plate. hope this helps. you will have to figure out which line in the wall goes to the outside receptacle and which goes to the roof top antenna then hook those up to the corresponding coax on the back of the new wall plate. It is easier than it sounds.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

We picked up a Tailgater in early January while passing through Mesa, AZ. Reason? We were/are looking at a lot of stops that have limited or no cable TV access

Got to our CG and it was basically Plug & Play...took about 30 minutes to have an account setup with Dish and we were up and running. Great HD on our 40" Toshiba.

One drawback...bedroom and outside TV will not work with the Tailgater unless you have multiple receivers and separate accounts which is not acceptable. Looking at ways to get around this.

We were not interested in the "big' dish and the setup of getting it locked in to the satellites, storage etc.,...see people all the time setting up with their meters and saying "honey, do we have a picture yet?"

All you do is point the Tailgater South and it automatically finds the satellites. Some use a mount for the ladder but we chose a small tripod that gets the unit off the ground, but not necessary. Why? Preference and easier setup.

We've never looked back.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

Larry, where did you get the tripod? I like that.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bed685 View Post
Larry, where did you get the tripod? I like that.
The tripod is called 'Winegard TR-1518 Carryout Gray Tripod Mount' but works with the Tailgater.

We bought ours at RV City in Huachuca City, AZ last month. I see Amazon also has them...here.

Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Larry G, did you have the problem with your antenna amplifier interfferring with the tailgator or did you not hook it to the camper outside recepticle?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marteau View Post
Larry G, did you have the problem with your antenna amplifier interfferring with the tailgator or did you not hook it to the camper outside recepticle?
Connected Tailgater cable to Cable/Sat connection outside. Inside connected cable from Dish receiver to Port A on the Jumper A/B wall switching in our entertainment center.

View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #10

Here are some photos;

View photos

Our Trip Journal