Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #21

The one thing not mentioned is Well Water or Municipal water. If the campground is using well water then the purity of the water may not meet municipal water quality standards or be low on compliance with the standards. If the campground is on Municipal water then they have to meet the same standards as any house connected to that water source and a quick Google search will usually turn up the latest water quality test.

Folks might benefit from getting a TDS meter and checking the water after they hook into a campground water supply.

Based on reading I have done over the years more people get sick from not sanitizing their fresh water system than actually get sick from campground water.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #22

Even though we have the blue Camco filter on the hose, and the "whole-house" filter under the sink, we don't generally drink from the tap. And we travel with water in our fresh tank for "incidentals".

We have a couple 5-gallon water cooler jugs and a "Dolphin" pump (https://www.amazon.com/Water-Bottle-...8881409&sr=8-2). We fill the jugs at home from our treated RO system before we leave and use it for pretty much everything consumable in the camper.

5 gallons will usually get us through a weekend, but I have at least 10 available not counting a handful of 1-gallon jugs that are usually along for the ride. If we run out on the road, it's usually pretty easy to find a filling station. We look for "Glacier" self-serve vending machines, which can be found outside many grocery stores and some convenience stores. $1.25-1.50 for 5 gallons of treated RO water. WAY better than flats of bottled water with all those bottles. At worst, we'll pick up a few gallons of water by the gallon which are available virtually anywhere.

I will drink the water from the taps in my camper if I absolutely have to, but I really try to avoid it if at all possible.

I generally am somewhat sensitive to different water, so it's nice to have water from home to keep me feeling comfortable.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #23

Grew up drinking water from taps, hoses at the houses we lived in, tanks of the RVs we owned, water from campgrounds we stayed at, and good flowing mountain streams. Still fill out fresh water tank and drink from the tap, even filled the fresh water tank from a couple mountain streams we were camped by for hunting. No bottles, no filters.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The one thing not mentioned is Well Water or Municipal water. If the campground is using well water then the purity of the water may not meet municipal water quality standards or be low on compliance with the standards. If the campground is on Municipal water then they have to meet the same standards as any house connected to that water source and a quick Google search will usually turn up the latest water quality test.

Folks might benefit from getting a TDS meter and checking the water after they hook into a campground water supply.

Based on reading I have done over the years more people get sick from not sanitizing their fresh water system than actually get sick from campground water.
Good point about well water vs. municipal. Most of the state CGs we've been to use well water, which was what I got sick on.

In my case we were drinking the water from a filled jug which got sanitized after ever trip. We had a tank in the pop-up but only used it for washing dishes.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Do you have a pic of the system you installed? Brand/model/cost? I don’t think I. An convince the wife to forgo the cases of bottled water but I’ll try. I’m Probably overthinking.
I got both the double kitchen faucet and the under-sink filter system that is detailed in this blog post from Adventurous Way:

Install double Kitchen Faucet and filter

You can use any filter system you want but double-faucets like this one do seem to be hard to find and will avoid having to drill another hole in the counter for the filter faucet. I purchased these items back in July and at that time the filter system was ~$160 - I see they are now running ~$250.

Here are a couple shots of the completed install:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200816_165725732.jpg   IMG_20200829_135438302.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #26

My city water filter setup
Attached Thumbnails
5735C91A-748E-431F-8E79-E988FA054805.jpg  
Old 08-31-2020, 10:14 AM   #27

Hmmm..interesting setup. What about water I
Already in tank or sitting in lines for months?
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #28

I try not to drink from the tap directly as the beer foams up too much...
Old 08-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #29
CAG

We sanitize, have a water softener, a filter at the inlet under the bathroom sink, and make drinking water from the kitchen tap with a Brita. I think it is pretty safe, especially considering I drank from garden hoses and the water jugs on the back of ranch pickups for years and am still alive.

Carrying gallon jugs, and plats of bottled water takes up space and adds weight, not to mention all of the plastic going into the trash.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #30

My wife insists on bottled drinking water when we travel.

It's cheap enough that I don't argue... easier than installing and maintaining a good filtration system...
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:07 PM   #31

I won’t ever trust an unknown source for water. Just ask the people in Flint Michigan. Boil water advisories and contaminated wells aren’t an uncommon occurrence so I don’t think the risk is worth it.

We filter what goes into the tank with the blue filter and it’s only for washing dishes and showers. We fill a Berkey with the water from the tap and that’s for drinking and cooking. Mainly for taste but also for the added filtration. I think a quality filter is worth it’s weight in gold as opposed to spending a week/or worse recovering from a nasty bug or contaminant.

Yes I’m old, yes I drank from an old stinky garden hose and from well water tap at home with water that tasted like iron and pennies. We probably had lead paint on our walls and toys too, probably some asbestos in the walls and ceiling too, doesn’t make it ok. Just because I did doesn’t mean I should have but at least it was our well on our land and we knew it.
The whole “back in my day” argument falls flat. We are smarter these days about contaminants and chemicals that abound in the local water and soils from manufacturing and farming. How many times are local lakes and ocean fronts closed due to E-coli and algae blooms? I’ll never just assume water is safe.
Chances are you’ll never know someone poisoned/sickened by contaminated water. That’s awesome, but does that mean it doesn’t exist? For the life of me I guess I can’t understand taking the chance when filters are capable of reducing the chances to near 0%
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #32

Quote:
No water sits in the lines because I’m gone for usually 10 weeks at a time so when I leave the last camp site everything drains on the way home and that drive is around 6 hours.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Water sitting in lines is a bad idea to begin with and the same setup can be used to fill the fresh water tank.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I won’t ever trust an unknown source for water. Just ask the people in Flint Michigan. Boil water advisories and contaminated wells aren’t an uncommon occurrence so I don’t think the risk is worth it.

We filter what goes into the tank with the blue filter and it’s only for washing dishes and showers. We fill a Berkey with the water from the tap and that’s for drinking and cooking. Mainly for taste but also for the added filtration. I think a quality filter is worth it’s weight in gold as opposed to spending a week/or worse recovering from a nasty bug or contaminant.

Yes I’m old, yes I drank from an old stinky garden hose and from well water tap at home with water that tasted like iron and pennies. We probably had lead paint on our walls and toys too, probably some asbestos in the walls and ceiling too, doesn’t make it ok. Just because I did doesn’t mean I should have but at least it was our well on our land and we knew it.
The whole “back in my day” argument falls flat. We are smarter these days about contaminants and chemicals that abound in the local water and soils from manufacturing and farming. How many times are local lakes and ocean fronts closed due to E-coli and algae blooms? I’ll never just assume water is safe.
Chances are you’ll never know someone poisoned/sickened by contaminated water. That’s awesome, but does that mean it doesn’t exist? For the life of me I guess I can’t understand taking the chance when filters are capable of reducing the chances to near 0%
Exactly.

Thankfully I've never gotten violently ill from "foreign" water sources, but I have had my share of "discomfort" from them. And it doesn't even have to be "bad" water, just "different" water.

As a backpacker and avid outdoorsman in my formative years, I've had my share of run-ins with various water sources. Including lakes that were so pristine, you could go to the middle, dip your cup and drink to your heart's content (that is until you look down and see a moose carcass that fell through the ice last winter, or a loon hits the bottom of your canoe and leaves a cloud in the water; yes, BOTH have happened to me). I've melted snow to drink, I've purified stream water with iodine tablets, I've boiled water to drink, and I've pumped water though high end backpacking filters. And yes, I drank from the hose too.

As fun as all that was, these days I'd rather know and trust my water source to be clean. If I HAVE to, I know how to get water clean enough to not die drinking it, but thankfully I don't have to do that much these days...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:30 PM   #35
CAG

I think a quality filter is worth it’s weight in gold as opposed to spending a week/or worse recovering from a nasty bug or contaminant.

Most water filter that you buy for your RV will not filter out the "nasty bug" (s) that come through your every day water. Most filters that we put on home and RV systems are for sand, dirt, and taste. Microbes are just that, so small that they need special systems, or boiling to stop them. RO comes the closest to cleaning microbes out of water. Chlorination is a pretty sure way to get rid of them.

And as to being smarter today. Doubtful, we still have water systems contaminated by bacteria and how many recalls of tainted vegetables or other food do we have each year? Flint Michigan actually makes the bad water in today's world argument legitimate.

So, I agree, a good filter will help clean up water so that it tastes better, and is not full of dirt, but your RV filter is not going to stop you from getting sick if the water it is filtering has harmful microorganisms.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think a quality filter is worth it’s weight in gold as opposed to spending a week/or worse recovering from a nasty bug or contaminant.

Most water filter that you buy for your RV will not filter out the "nasty bug" (s) that come through your every day water. Most filters that we put on home and RV systems are for sand, dirt, and taste. Microbes are just that, so small that they need special systems, or boiling to stop them. RO comes the closest to cleaning microbes out of water. Chlorination is a pretty sure way to get rid of them.

And as to being smarter today. Doubtful, we still have water systems contaminated by bacteria and how many recalls of tainted vegetables or other food do we have each year? Flint Michigan actually makes the bad water in today's world argument legitimate.

So, I agree, a good filter will help clean up water so that it tastes better, and is not full of dirt, but your RV filter is not going to stop you from getting sick if the water it is filtering has harmful microorganisms.
That’s why I only drink from my Berkey. And that’s why I always wash my vegetables and grow as much of my own as possible. The blue RV filter for me is just a better than nothing solution to keep the grit and trash out of my water pump and lines. On the 5th wheel we have a two stage filter one pleated for debris and one black carbon for filtering harmful contaminants

It’s hard to be 100% safe I agree. And we had an RO system at our last place and I’ll have one again. It utilized a UV light as well to facilitate the water purification process.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:14 PM   #37

no
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #38
Site Team

Only in cg's that we have been in before. We always carry drinking water in bottles. Sometimes I just don't like the taste of a water supply and avoid drinking it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote