Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #31

Back from weekend: thanks everyone

Using everyone's advice and tricks, our first boo docking went off without a problem! I'm loving dry camping now! Thanks everyone.

ashmanbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #32

We love boondocking, too. It requires some planning and care regarding water (in and out) and electrical use (and storage). BUT it opens up a whole new realm of camping possibilities and experiences.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanbrian View Post
Using everyone's advice and tricks, our first boo docking went off without a problem! I'm loving dry camping now! Thanks everyone.
Where did you go?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:57 PM   #34

I have one of this on my boat.
It's not precise for it measures volt but it helps to have an idea of battery state of charge.
It's cheap and easy to install and have settings for different types of battery.
https://www.emarineinc.com/Midnite-S...attery-Monitor

R

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Where did you go?
Pace Bend Park on Lake Travis, Austin
Old 02-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanbrian View Post
Pace Bend Park on Lake Travis, Austin
I've been thinking of going there myself, but not for dry camping. My wife likes full hookups. However the LCRA web site for the park says that they have water, electric, and sewer hookups, while the Travis county web site for the park says they have water and electric only. Do you know which is correct?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
I've been thinking of going there myself, but not for dry camping. My wife likes full hookups. However the LCRA web site for the park says that they have water, electric, and sewer hookups, while the Travis county web site for the park says they have water and electric only. Do you know which is correct?
Where I went, it's a county park. They do have limited # of RV hookups (I think 20?), electric and water in one location. ie, RV's are all together. We drove by them, they are close together but not horrible. You can get reservations by going downtown, or first come first serve is spots are available.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #38

Dry camping at lake pleasant, az

We are going dry camping tomorrow at Lake Pleasant, AZ with our RV group. Should be fun but a little cold in the AM. We often dry camp with the group as they mostly have big 5th wheels and/or motor homes and don't want to pay the price for full hookups (which we prefer). Our biggest issue has been the noise from the rest of the group when we want to go to bed. We are going to try to only open one of the pop outs and see if this helps.

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #39

Very awesome thread. Ashmanbrian, how did your battery perform? You mentioned it was 12.5V before your trip. How did it do once you got back and did you buy a voltmeter?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #40

If you want to learn all about maintaining and getting the most out of your battery read this....
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

In between all the rants is a lot of good information.

Normal life for a battery should be 6-8 years if properly maintained. Undercharging or overdischarging will shorten life and capacity fairly quickly. And I would guess most people do both. I certainly did when I started out.

Your tow vehicle will take hours to fully charge a battery. I have noted on one 3 hour trip that we got about 10Ah back into the battery during the trip home. This was on a battery around 90% charge and the last 10% is the hardest to get back in the battery and takes the longest, but it is also the most important.

Same goes for the trailer converter. It can take days being plugged in to fully charge the battery. They drop into float (~13.2volts) after a set voltage or predetermined time too early and don't get a full charge back into the battery. They are really designed to maintain a battery while being plugged in not to efficiently charge one.

Cheers