Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groveite View Post
I've built 3 houses here in Southern Ontario since 2002 and the plumbing code requires a cleanout. I added a second one at my son's place just for the RV sewer dump.
Absolutely required by code. But you almost never see them outside of the foundation walls in Ontario. I didn't say it was not to code (I don't know code that well - layman's knowledge, but I did take Building Construction in school so have a pretty good idea of the basics.) If it is allowed outside the foundation, it is almost never done in practice anywhere I have lived in the province. If you are looking for your sewer cleanout here in Ontario, you are better off looking inside the foundation perimeter than outside.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #42

I bought a macerator over a year ago. I just started using it a few weeks ago. I had someone stay in the camper while visiting. It's great. It pumps about 80 feet to the clean out and uphill some. Mine has a connection for water to wash it out but I find it works better with a hose down the toilet. The macerator empties it kind of slow but the wash out from the toilet got all the solids and it ran clear before I was done. Those things are great when you can't get to a dump area easily. Oh and never dump into the street sewers. When I walk the dog you can always tell when someone has done that. The smell is awful. Not a close system like the waste sewers. It's probably illegal also pretty much everywhere.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenar View Post
As good as this sounds this isn't a good idea at all... It won't flush the tanks and you will get solids built up inside your tank. I would do this if I had too but I would be trying my hardest to dump every second tank the correct way.
I have no idea what you're talking about. My tank is immaculate with no odor or any material inside.

You pull the valve and dump all the black. Go inside the camper with a hose and use a Camco 40103 RV Holding Tank Rinser for a minute or two. Fill the tank full one more time and let it sit for a couple hours while you unpack the camper. Another rinse and flush and you could damn near drink from the tank.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:05 AM   #44

The public sewer that runs from house to road. I either pull close to the clean out cap or use my portable honey tank ( portable waste tank) .drain and flush black then grey tanks directly into my home sewer drain or the portable tanks and then dump to sewer. The home we have now i can pull trailer right along side and run hose just like at a dump site.
DO NOT FLUSH BLACK TANK into rain system or the public storm water drains. That is a big No No. Illegal.
Mr Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #45

Most homes have clean outs for their home sewer system. There are usually two of them n eww ar each other. They are about 4" in diameter and have a square on top so you can open it with channel locks. Then you can hook up the slinky and dump as normal. I've done this on both septic and sewer systems. Just don't use formaldehyde based black water chemicals as those will kill the bacteria in your septic system.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #46

Quote:
As good as this sounds this isn't a good idea at all... It won't flush the tanks and you will get solids built up inside your tank. I would do this if I had too but I would be trying my hardest to dump every second tank the correct way.
The pump is a Macerator. Won't that take care of the solids?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
The pump is a Macerator. Won't that take care of the solids?
The solids have to make it to the pipe, without flow it doesn't move
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #48
CAG

A Macerator attaches to your dump outlet. You attach a 3/4 garden hose to the connection on the Macerator. It is powered by your 12 volt system and when you open the valve blade the downward force of the black tank material is forced into the spinning blades, pulverized and sent to your cleanout as liquid You flush your tank with clear water just like at a dump station. It can send the material some distance and even up hill.

It is a efficient system.

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-macerators/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #49

I think most municipal treatment plants have provisions for rv dumping, worth a call to town hall.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #50

Quote:
How do you know they aren’t dumping what is in your opinion the “correct way”? Dumping grey and black into a sewer clean out using a macerator. Please clue us into what exactly is not correct.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #51
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29BHS ECO View Post
I think most municipal treatment plants have provisions for rv dumping, worth a call to town hall.
I am not sure you would need to go to that trouble. Are you talking of a location in town where the sewer treatment allows dumping?

Your cleanout at the front of the house is functional and legal, and If I called the city of Phoenix they would have no idea what I was talking about

Old 07-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #52

Black water

Why not go and dump on an off day when it's not busy
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #53
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Why not go and dump on an off day when it's not busy
Where are you talking about? Not busy where?

Old 07-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Where are you talking about? Not busy where?
I go every Monday after the weekend and no one is there. I dump and then hook the hose to the black tank and just keep it spraying till the water runs clear.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #55
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I go every Monday after the weekend and no one is there. I dump and then hook the hose to the black tank and just keep it spraying till the water runs clear.
Good for but I have no idea where you are located or where you are going. I live in a metro area of 5 plus million people so going anywhere, every week to dump would be a major PIA.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #56
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Good for but I have no idea where you are located or where you are going. I live in a metro area of 5 plus million people so going anywhere, every week to dump would be a major PIA.
I'm with you on that. The last thing I'd want to have to do is get back in the rig after a couple of days, and drive somewhere to dump.

If I didn't flush it well enough at the CG, after we empty out all the other stuff from the rig when we get home, I pull out in front of my house, hook the slinky to the clean out, and use my garden hose to purge what's left in the tank. Once I'm done, I pull back into the driveway, and drain down the water tank, water heater and low point drains.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #57

Gonna have to challenge the assumption here.

The assumption being that you don't have time to flush your tank at the dump station. Everybody else does, so....

We set ourselves a specific amount of time to complete the job. We get up to the station, and hit the ground running. Dump black. Rinse. Dump. Rinse. Dump. Then we dump the gray to clear the slinky. We check our watches and rinse for a specific time. Keeps us from getting antsy when we see the other rigs waiting in line. We're organized. We check our watches as we go along, and when we're done to make sure we haven't gone over our time.

We're organized. Slinky and clear Rhino adapter (a must have) are in a black plastic tote right next to the rubber gloves.

Washing hands is part of the process, and we're ready to do that quickly too.

Not a bad idea to take a close look at the station beforehand so you know the layout. Can do it while you're in line, or stroll over there earlier.

Suggest you do a search on how long people take at the dump site to do a proper job, and/or take a poll here. As long as you stay within an acceptable time, anyone who has a problem with that can be ignored.

We've had full hookups lately, so we haven't used a dump station recently, but I think we allot 15 minutes.

We've seen people get to the dump, and then just fart-diddle around. No clue? Don't care? Stupid? Who knows?

Streamline.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #58

Glad I'm far enough away from the big city. We even have covid 19 drive ups without much waiting, no charge and we don't have to have symptoms. But our people will screw it up without masks and no distancing
Old 07-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #59

We use a work around for the dump station. Go to an empty full hookup site and use it to dump. I can take all the time I need. ����*♂️��
Old 07-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #60

We dump at home. My garden grows really good.

ewwwwweeeeeeh! JK

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote