Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #81

If you ask and they say yes, fair game IMO.

Have never had a full hookup site. Where we camp they typically are not type of site we like. Most seem to be out in the open, (no shade trees), or close to the entrance and fill and dump station, more traffic.

We try to get lake view or outer loop so no one is behind us.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccso2213 View Post
We use a work around for the dump station. Go to an empty full hookup site and use it to dump. I can take all the time I need. ����*♂️��
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Is that kinda unethical? You paid for a non-full hook up site to camp, but when you're leaving, you pull into a full hookup sire to use all the utilities that you didn't pay for?
Do you think so? I was wondering about this last weekend. We usually camp at state parks, so the question never came up there. This is our first year with a TT after selling our popup we used for 7 seasons. We stayed in a private park for the first time last weekend and I thought that if the line at the dump station was long, I would just go to an empty sewer site. I'm still pretty new at dumping and take a lot longer than more seasoned RVers, so I thought I would be doing them a service by not delaying them unnecessarily.

My rationale was that I paid for water at my site and to dump at the campground before I left. True, I didn't pay for the convenience of dumping at my site, but I wouldn't be dumping at my site as I'd still need to move my trailer. What is the difference if I dumped at the dump station or at an empty sewer site? It uses the same water and the waste goes to the same place. I'm not costing the campground any more money.

As it turned out, when I was ready to leave there was no line at the dump station, so I just went there. The rest of my camping this year will be at state parks so this question won't come up again this season, but now I'm wondering for the future.

I have pretty strong ethics, and want to model them for my kids. If most of you think it is wrong, I certainly will not do it. So, what do you all think? Is it ethical to dump at a sewer site that is not yours on your way out rather than waiting at the dump station?

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #83

Why not simply ask the site owners if they'd mind you dumping at an empty site?

You can make the point that this will reduce the line at the dump station.. but they may charge you, if there is a cleanup or inspection involved.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
thank you for all the input gang,
I just called my city's town hall to inquire about access to my sewer clean out. I was informed that dumping any sort of waste water (grey or black) is illegal and prohibited on my own property where I live (Durham region in Ontario Canada). He said my only option is to go to a treatment plant that has dumping stations. Big pain in the butt for me! Not sure if using the flojet gizmo is considered illegal too but I am annoyed that with all the property tax I pay they simply give rv owners no options for dumping while parked on your own driveway.

How do they know if you pooped and flushed, or connected a hose to your clean out. The clean out is part of the sewer system on YOUR property. What you do with it is your own business. The person you talked to sounds like many in this forum thread...completely not understanding how plumbing and municipal water system function.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #85

Dumping at home.

Pretty sure by now you figured the downspout hookup is a bad idea!
Fortunately when our younger son built a large shop with an upstairs apartment he added a pump tank with a submersible turd grinder pump . The discharge line runs to his inlet line of his septic tank. While building, I had a threaded cap & line connect to the pump out tank so I can empty the motorhome grey/black tanks if needed. Problem solved👍
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #86

At a state campground that I frequent, the only fresh water supply at the dump station is this goofy pole with a spring on it. It has a hose dangling from it with a right-angle nozzle at the end. There is no place to hook up a garden hose to be used for a wand or black tank cleanout system. I guess the only way to flush out the tank would be to fill up a 5 gallon bucket and dump it down the toilet.

Fortunately, I have a sewer clean-out in my front lawn which I have teed into and run to a spot right next to my driveway. I do a quick dump upon exiting the campground just so I don't have to bring home all the extra weight, then I flush at home.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
At a state campground that I frequent, the only fresh water supply at the dump station is this goofy pole with a spring on it. It has a hose dangling from it with a right-angle nozzle at the end. There is no place to hook up a garden hose to be used for a wand or black tank cleanout system. I guess the only way to flush out the tank would be to fill up a 5 gallon bucket and dump it down the toilet.

Fortunately, I have a sewer clean-out in my front lawn which I have teed into and run to a spot right next to my driveway. I do a quick dump upon exiting the campground just so I don't have to bring home all the extra weight, then I flush at home.
God I hate to tell everyone my secret. Camping world has a dump station with a hose to flush out the black water and they have a big black water hose just sitting there to use to dump the black water. Keep this between us I don't want to sit in line
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote