Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Entry door prop

My new X23B doesn't have anything to hold open the door. I see a peg on the bottom of the door & 1 in the door jam that looks like a gas shock would hook to. How do your doors prop open. I really don't want to do a bungee.

Thanks, Andy
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

We have two doors. The front one has a gas strut to hold it open at 90 degrees, otherwise it would hit the awning support.

The rear door opens all the way out (amost 180 degrees) and has one of these style catches:

There's a third kind I've heard of but no direct experience with - a friction hinge. It basically just stays where you leave it, more or less.

Looking at the external pictures on Jayco's site, your door situation is much like our main door in that it can't open more than 90 degrees without hitting the awning. So based on that and your description, it sounds like you're missing the gas strut that snaps on the two mounting posts. In theory, you *should* be able to open the door to 90 degrees and measure the distance between the posts to determine the size strut you need. I've never needed to replace one before, so I could be completely wrong as well. One dealer near me stocks a bunch of different sizes, perhaps your nearby dealers do as well.
DustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

This was standard on my Hybrid in 2010 it holds the door open at 90deg. And so easy to reach from the inside when you want to close it. Wind does one shake the door.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

Andy, A gas shock should have been installed in the bottom of your door where you see the "hook-up" points for it. I would call the dealer and have them order & install one as a warrantee issue.

Jeremy