Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabee View Post
I'd recommend a sway bar, the Z tows very well, but if you get into any strong crosswinds you will feel it. When we brought ours home from the dealer we had some fairly strong(25-35mph) crosswinds coming home. The sway bar definitely helped. This weekend I choose not to use the sway bar as we were going to a campground that is less than 10miles away. It was very windy coming home and I wished I had brought the sway bar.

I'd agree on the oven, not only does it take away space, it takes even more away from the limited cargo capacity.

Weird how RV Direct quoted you a much lower price, they told me $16,529 w/out the oven or DSI water heater.
That is strange. I cannot understand why there would be that much of a difference. When did you get your quote?
CornhuskerPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #22

We had the 17Z for one full season and simply had to trade up. There are 2 adults and one toddler in our group. While we loved that camper it simple did not provide enough space or overall cargo weight allowences. We got very tired of having to go to the truck and unpack, move things, pack, unpack again. We spent more time trying to find places to store clothes, linens, food, pots, pans, ect. If you travel light, then this may not be a problem. Had we been able to tow the larger version of this unit (the H I think) we probably would have gone that route. We used a weight distribution and sway bar set-up. The next year we upgraded the tow vehicle and the went to the 26RKS. Hope this helps.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #23

Actually, my parents are looking at one, the quote is from just a few days ago.

We must pack light, though we have a lot of stuff in there, the only things not in the camper are firewood(which I wouldn't want in there anyway), bag chairs and our EZ up. That stuff is easier to get out of the pickup anyway. Otherwise, it's all in the camper, the only things we move are the duffel bags with clothes, either into the bathroom or to the cupboards above the table and couch, those are empty normally.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #24

We use a load distributing hitch with a sway bar for towing our X17Z. Last year we towed it over 6,000 miles and camped over 50 nights in it with no issues.
mtn_bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #25

Cornhusker Pastor i'm not knocking the 17Z but you should look at the 19H, more room,carry more weight,more storage and more stable with the dual axel. Don't forget the electric awning which ever one you get. Just my $.02 Larry ps yes on the friction sway control.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
Cornhusker Pastor i'm not knocking the 17Z but you should look at the 19H, more room,carry more weight,more storage and more stable with the dual axel. Don't forget the electric awning which ever one you get. Just my $.02 Larry ps yes on the friction sway control.
Can anyone recommend a weight distribution/sway bar system that has easy to hook up that they have had good success with in towing?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #27

I got my 2012 X20E last year for 16,800 if that is any help.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #28

I think 15,500 is not not out of the ballpark for that unit. We paid 14,500 for our 2012 last year in May, the dealer made a couple serious discounts for us as we were paying in cash.

We absolutely love our Z, and for two of us and two Golden Retrievers, it provides plenty of room,AND storage. Storage requires thinking creatively how you use the space, and do keep in mind to keep your items as light as possible (aluminum VS cast iron for example). Also, we don't travel with full tanks, or carry a lot of liquids inside. But, we have it packed with pretty much everything we need and are still within capacity.

Our TV is a Chevy Astro van, which handles it just fine, though at some point a little more engine would be nice. We do use an Equalizer sway system and would be pretty uncomfortable towing without it. Keep in mind that it's not the most aerodynamic trailer to ever come down the road, so draft and sway can be issues.

The oven was worth it to me, but we like to do things like fresh cinnamon rolls, and browning casseroles etc. It's not the most efficient oven in the world, and took some experimenting to work with it, but for me and the way we like to cook/eat on the road it is worth having.

We do absolutely love this camper, and have no desire to go into a larger model.
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylec View Post
I think 15,500 is not not out of the ballpark for that unit. We paid 14,500 for our 2012 last year in May, the dealer made a couple serious discounts for us as we were paying in cash.

We absolutely love our Z, and for two of us and two Golden Retrievers, it provides plenty of room,AND storage. Storage requires thinking creatively how you use the space, and do keep in mind to keep your items as light as possible (aluminum VS cast iron for example). Also, we don't travel with full tanks, or carry a lot of liquids inside. But, we have it packed with pretty much everything we need and are still within capacity.

Our TV is a Chevy Astro van, which handles it just fine, though at some point a little more engine would be nice. We do use an Equalizer sway system and would be pretty uncomfortable towing without it. Keep in mind that it's not the most aerodynamic trailer to ever come down the road, so draft and sway can be issues.

The oven was worth it to me, but we like to do things like fresh cinnamon rolls, and browning casseroles etc. It's not the most efficient oven in the world, and took some experimenting to work with it, but for me and the way we like to cook/eat on the road it is worth having.

We do absolutely love this camper, and have no desire to go into a larger model.
Thanks for the insight! Yeah, I go back and forth on the oven. Pretty sure my wife is going to want to have that option. We'll be towing with a 2010 F-150, 5.4, so I'll have plenty of muscle to pull. Thanks for the insight on "creatively packing". I've heard that from several other posters and will keep that in mind.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornhuskerPastor View Post
We'll be towing with a 2010 F-150, 5.4, so I'll have plenty of muscle to pull.
I'm not an advocate of always going "bigger" with campers, but if you've got the F-150 I'd really take a look at the x19H. This one is the basically the same floorplan as the X17Z, but has a tandem axle. We really would have preferred the dual axle, for the "just in case" you get a flat while towing scenerio, and to have a little more margin on the trailer capacity - but we didn't have the capacity with our Pilot to even consider it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #31

Remember to ask them if they plan on charging you freight and an administration fee and get them to tell you how much before you negotiate a price. I bought a x18d and they surprised me with a $600 admin fee. I didn't end up paying it but I had to go through the hustle of getting ticked off and threatening to cancel the deal!

I rented the 17d last summer and we loved it. Bought the 18d so my 14 year old daughter wouldn't have to sleep with her 13 year old "smelly brother".
JaycoNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #32

The price sounds fair, we paid $15K for ours in 2010.

Have had nothing but great times with the 17z we have taken it from KY to Fl and everywhere in between without a problem. Towing it with a 4-Runner and had an WDH installed to eliminate any sway.

The only drawback to taking out for long 2+weeks trips is it is limited on the storage space but for anything less, it works fine.

I know you are going to love yours and welcome to the forum.
wl_perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #33

We had the 17C, which is the same as the 17Z just a different floor plan. We really liked it. The problem was when our son, his fiancee', and his dog joined us and our dog, we had to make a new rule..... "one up at a time". It got crowded real quick! But it was a great trailer the 2 years we had it. We used a WDH but not the sway bar and it towed beautifully.
"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #34

I bought one at an RV show in Allentown PA. I got the "Show Price" of $14,500 along with a very good price for my trade in of my 2003 Coachman pop up. I have seen them listed online anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000, so I knew I was getting a good deal.

I did have one warranty issue with the front bunk. They never tightened the top four corner bolts on the rain gutter fully, so water made its way inside the camper. It was all cover and they replaced everything from the wallboard, wood under dining seat, mattress, and dining seat cushions. I love it and wish i would have made the switch earlier.
mdbaird76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #35

Just went to dealer in Grand Rapids, Michigan that has great prices on Jay Feather hybrids. A 2013 17Z is going for $13,990. We just purchased a used 2010 19H from them! Good luck!!
FMallizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #36

I was looking real hard at a 17 and was quoted $13,000 from a local dealer. My teenage sons told me that they did not want to share a bed anymore. We moved up to a 2013 x18d with three beds and added about 400 lbs. It also included a double axle. Since my Tacoma DC is rated for 6500# I had no problem with a little extra weight. We paid $15000 for our 18.
mikebuyscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #37

We have owned the jay feather ultralite for 3 months. Paid a bit more than 15500 so that's a good price. We love it. have taken a couple grand kids with us for short trips but usually just the two of us. Only thing lacking is closet space but have enough space for two.
Gary & Donna
Retired Wisconsinittes
donnajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #38

I have been looking for a x17z, have seen them anywhere from 15K to 9K ,nada low retail value for a 2011 is like 9200.00, if I were to buy one from a private owner should I stay below 9000.00? the 9000.00 one that I have seen is a 2011.
crf450rider4208 is offline   Reply With Quote