Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

First time camper

Hello all. My family and I have always been tent campers, but after getting kicked out early because of rain, we decided to upgrade to a used 2012 x17z. I'm towing it with a 2018 Dodge Durango V6. I don't have a brake controller. I'm not even sure if the camper has brakes? I towed it home which was a 1.5 hour ride and it seemed to handle it well.
Anyway, just wondering what else you guys can recommend for a first time camper like us. Anything we should be aware of when towing? Tips or tricks? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Also, I was told the fridge uses electric and propane? How does that work? The propane tank just needs to be on? Is it separate from the water heater or does the pilot need to be on for the fridge?
Thanks.
ylomnstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:11 AM   #2

Welcome from York County, South Carolina! There should be a switch on the refrigerator to switch it from propane to electricity. Search the forums for info for first time campers and you'll find a wealth of information.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #3

Welcome aboard. A brake controller is required, and so is a good battery.

The frig will work on 120v shore power or propane (with a battery) on the frig is a switch, "off-auto- gas". I keep it in auto when we are camping.

It will auto start. But it is best to light the stove first to purge the gas line, if it has been off for a long time (between trips).

Water heater, I assume youhave the same one I have. There is a wall switch flip either or both on (electric gas). It will run on its own. Just make sure water is in the tank before turning on or you will be replacing the heating element (common opps).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #4

I would suggest you search your newtoyou camper for the manuals. If you can't find them you can download them online. For best advice post the model number and brand of anything you have questions on. I would highly recommend that you get both a brake controller and and Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) for your safety and the safety of others on the road. My preference for your combo would be the Andersen, which includes the WDH and sway control functions in a light weight and easy to use package. I have a Tekonsha brand controller. Without a controller in an emergency stop, sway or skid you may watch your RV pass you, twist you around and basically be an accident waiting to happen. Without a controller you have over a ton of camper pushing against brakes that just aren't designed for that.

Watch some youtubes on how your furnace, water heater, LP detector, battery and fridge are designed to function. It will worth your time in added safety and future enjoyment.
PS you can add your RV and tow to your signature.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #5

Too late for you, but for others reading in preparation ... In general, you want to get these functional questions answered as part of the sale process. Dealership or private sale should both be able to perform a full and detailed walk through, including how appliances work. I probably spent close to 2 hours walking my buyer through all the features of my trailer I sold him. It also forces the seller to prove that the components are in working condition.

From there, RogerR's advice is solid. If you don't have manuals, go download electronic versions. Fridge, furnace, and water heater are the most important to have, as these are the appliances that you'll be using and repairing most frequently. These are all RV-independent. That is, you don't even need to know your trailer brand or model to know that your water heater is either manufactured by Suburban or Atwood, for example. But you can get the model information off of the appliances and then find the manuals.

Know where your fuse box is and also know where any additional fuses might be. For example, I had a power slide out on my last trailer that blew a fuse. The fuse at the fuse box (breaker box) was fine, but there was an inline fuse near the hitch/battery area that had blown. I actually didn't know this existed, but was lucky enough to be camping where there was internet connection ... so, I was able to look online and solve my problem. Had I been camping in BFE, I might have had a different story. Better to get out in front of these things and know where your fuses are ... all of them!

80% of what you need is the same as what you needed when you tent camped. So, you'll have a running start. The best step is to manufacture a camping trip close to home to wring out the details ... or do a camp driveway. This will help you get your head around needing linens, toilet paper holder, an interior garbage can, and even understand how to start using all of the interior cabinets and storage.

Brake controller is likely to be legally mandated, depending on where you live. Even if it's not, you want it. It's about $100 and will last pretty much forever. I'd strongly recommend a WDH with integrated sway control. I'm partial to Equal-i-zer 4 point, but there are many good systems out there. Expect to drop around $500 - $700 on this.

You'll need a way to level the trailer ... not something you had to do with a tent. You can get as sophisticated as you like. I preferred Anderson Levelers. I actually had to get the shorter Camco version, but the system was the same. Made leveling the trailer super easy, barely an inconvenience. Anyway, from wood planks to automated systems, you'll need something. Oh, and while I preferred using a 4' level, I usually forgot it ... so, have a level app on your phone.

Eventually, you can start thinking about enhancements to the camping. Tables and furniture. Stabilization devices to reduce bounce. Foam toppers and such to make beds more comfortable. And, so on. But, these are next level items that you can gradually move into.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I would suggest you search your newtoyou camper for the manuals. If you can't find them you can download them online. For best advice post the model number and brand of anything you have questions on. I would highly recommend that you get both a brake controller and and Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) for your safety and the safety of others on the road. My preference for your combo would be the Andersen, which includes the WDH and sway control functions in a light weight and easy to use package. I have a Tekonsha brand controller. Without a controller in an emergency stop, sway or skid you may watch your RV pass you, twist you around and basically be an accident waiting to happen. Without a controller you have over a ton of camper pushing against brakes that just aren't designed for that.
I second the above. We were coming back from camping and were in open range territory when two cows dropped onto the road from a ridge above us. Without the WDH and the brake controller, it would have been ugly. As it was, we stopped about two inches short of the cows, and all was well.
Husky Centerline WDH
Leedillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #7
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylomnstr View Post
Tips or tricks?
Welcome to the JOF! Here's a "sticky" post from the Welcome Mat forum, which may have some helpful information. The rest comes with time, and we'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...now-15495.html

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote