Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #1

First trip out in X18D

Got my first trip out in my new to me 2014 X18D this past weekend. We camped at South Bass Island State Park in Ohio. I got the campsite back in January, as there are only 10 full hookup sites. Overall I really love the camper. The only issue I had, was the TV wouldn't turn on, but I happen to have a 22" Samsung sitting unused at the house so I popped it in when we got home. I thought I'd post my thoughts on the camper in case anyone is shopping for this model.

Towing was great, I tow it with my 2014 V6 Durango w 8spd and factory tow package. I did have some Hemi envy going up onramps, but other than that it went well.

The trailer itself worked great. Every system I tried worked as it should, except that TV. The fridge got nice and cold, although it took awhile. The beds (there's three queens in this model) are incredibly comfortable. Even my wife noted how well she slept.

I was a bit concerned about lack of good interior seating, but actually the dinette/extended bench was pretty comfy. We spent very little time inside.

I used the shower, just to try it out. Much too small for me (I'm 6'6") and I ran through the hot water quickly. Good in a pinch but I'll probably stick to the shower house.

The LED awning strip seemed to come and go. Sometimes, half of the lights would be out, other times they'd all be on. No idea what's up with that, but not a big deal for me.

I did have one unfortunate incident. While pulling up to the ticket booth to buy tickets for the ferry to the island, I ended up too close to the booth and CRUNCH, nailed the concrete pole that protects the booth with the door side of my new camper. Ouch. Could have been worse, but I destroyed my steps (ordered new ones already), and mangled one arm of the power awning. Crap. I have found a pair of arms at a local dealer, for a great price, only problem being they are black and mine are white. I'm going to install both of em anyway, because I think they'll actually look pretty good in black, but I wondered if anyone had any tips on the install. I'm pretty handy and not afraid to try something like this, and it's only the arm by the door thats damaged. The part that rolls out is fine, and the other arm is fine. Let me tell you, that incident totally broke my heart, but it could have been so much worse! I think I have a pretty good idea how to replace the arms, but would love to hear from anyone who has done it already.

Thanks, happy camping!

Buckeye ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

x18D

Welcome to the x18D club!! We got ours last season, and we just can't stop camping in it!! Both boondocking and hookups. We did upgrade our battery to a 100ah batt.. and we made it all Mem Day weekend on one battery.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the booth. That sucks, but glad you found parts so quickly.

If you didn't get the bed fans, I highly recommend them. Helps give a little breeze at night.

As for the fridge, it does take some time. Remember, it's more of a chiller.. since its cooling the fins and not moving chilled air around. We just start ours in the driveway the day before we leave.

2 adults, 3 kids (17, 14, 11) and a greyhound (10) in our trailer, and we LOVE it. Enjoy, and feel free to post more happy pics.