Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

first trip out this year and issues

Hello All, we had our first outing of the year and experienced a couple of issues and any tips or things to try would be greatly appreciated. Our Atwood power jack has been giving me troubles since last year. And 2 weekends ago I tried it after I brought it home and it worked wonderfully, great. Then for the week preceding our trip whenever I was out with the dog I would test it again and it still worked, great. We go to leave and nothing, dead, check connections and everything checked out ok. Any tips to test (besides the fuse that looked good too)? Also the low point drain crumbled when I went to turn it, is there a metal replacement?

Also is there an easy way to brace the couch by the front bed end of a 23b? I hate to drill into things but it appears like it is pulling away.

Thanks in advance.

LURKER
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

I'd make sure the ground connection on the jack is clean. You may have to put the tounge on jack stands and remove the 3 bolts that secure the jack to the frame. The jack is self grouding where it bolts to the frame but a rusty ground will cause an open circuit and the jack will not work.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I'd make sure the ground connection on the jack is clean. You may have to put the tounge on jack stands and remove the 3 bolts that secure the jack to the frame. The jack is self grouding where it bolts to the frame but a rusty ground will cause an open circuit and the jack will not work.
X2.......
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #4

Thanks I will look at that, I was wondering how it was grounded, I was able to follow the one wire that comes off of it back to the battery.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Site Team

If you remove the top plastic cover, you will see a small wire that comes out of the motor and is connected to the tube. Mine was not making a good connection.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #6

Mustang65 (Don), I pulled that cover off and I believe there was 2 wires one red and one yellow, I guess I can check both. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #7

Most of the low point drains I have seen have all been made of plastic. They are cheap enough however so I try to keep a spare.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

Bad ground is probably the issue. I you put the unit on a jack stand or have it connected to your TV. You can remove at least one mounting bolt. sand the corrosion away. Then before reinstalling the bolt, by a star washer, to put between the nut and the frame. This type of washer will bit into both pieces of metal and give you a much better ground.

As for the couch, are you talking about the arm on the J-sofa? If so, I have not personally looked, but when mine was in for some warranty work the first year I had it. On the list things they did they noted they found one of the arms rests loose and they tightened it. I would probe around looking for a few screws. The cup holder pops right out, and if you lift the sofa to make the bed, you may also find a few hidden screws. That is where I would start.

As for the low point drain, they are cheap cheap plastic that degrades. Personally, I would take it off, measure the hose size and go to your favorite hardware store and buy a valve that fits the hose size, you may need a couple fittings to make the transition. This would allow you to drain your tank much faster.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #9

Jagiven, I guess I called it a couch but looking at your dinette rebuild that might help me because that is the area I was referring to. Also thanks for all the other information to try.