Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

First trip with X23B Set up Questions.

Okay, first trip with new camper and no experience. I do camp with my father in law so I do have some knowledge.
Questions:
When traveling, do you run the fridge off propane or the battery?

Set up...After unhooking, leveling the trailer, hooking up sewer, water (And turning it on at spout), electric and cable....Do you turn the water pump on and bleed the air out at the sink???? By doing this, this will fill the hot water heater correct? I've been told to be careful and be sure that there is water in the hot water heater or it will burn up.

Once at site, turn fridge over to electric....right?

Any other instructions for this newbee?

Thank you!
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

If you have a 3-way refrigerator that CAN run on battery use that while traveling.

Once you have your water hooked up you do not need to use the pump. Use the toilet flush to clear most of the air from the system. If your water heater is empty then open a hot water faucet and let the tank fill up and purge the air from that part of the system. Only after the water heater is full do you want to turn it on.

Anytime you have 110V available use that for the refrigerator. The exception being if you are using a generator then you should use propane.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Our fridge only has "Gas", "Auto" and "Off". I leave it in Auto. On the road it uses gas, when we have shore power it uses that.
If you are using city water (as opposed to your tank water) you don't need to run the water pump. Lots of folks will recommend getting (and using) a pressure regulator on your city water connection (I do). But, yes, after connecting the water I bleed the air out of the lines.
To fill the water heater, after connecting the water supply I open the pressure relief valve on the heater and let the air out that way. Our water heater doesn't have electric or auto-ignition so I have to light it by hand which puts me there to bleed air out of the tank.
Enjoy your new TT, we love ours!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #4

Our fridge is a 2 way automatic. It will detect if 110 is available and will automatically turn off the propane and run on electricity. That said we never run it on propane anyway. I turn off the automatic. We don't travel very far and have no need to keep the fridge running while traveling. Even on a 5 hour trip, everything stays nice and cold and ice remains frozen. So the decision on whether to run the fridge while traveling is up to you and what your needs are.

Do you have a water pressure regulator? RV plumbing systems can't handle much more than 45psi. The pressure in campground systems can vary from very strong to very weak. A regulator will keep the pressure at a safe level. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2ie8k3vh1i_b
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

Congrats on your new 23B.
We have two trips down on our new 23B. We have learned a lot by reading the forum.
We think we have the basics down, and are learning what works for us.
Keep reading and have fun!

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

I know you will enjoy your new X23B, I know we do!!!

We have had ours now for a little over a year now and we still feel like newbies and I'm always learning new things by reading this forum and asking questions!!

One thing to keep in mind even though you didn't ask about it, but I'll save you the trouble of learning the hard way like we did On the first cold night of the camping season I turned the furnace on before going to bed. Arounfd 1:00 A.M., we were waken to the alarm going off. We immediately jumped out of bed from a sound sleep. I opened windows and turned off the furnace. The alarm eventually shut off. I came home from our trip and read here on this forum that "Before" you use the furnace for the first time to open all windows and let the furnace burn off any paint, oil residue, etc. before using it. I did that and I have not had any problems since then.

Happy Camping!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

Congratulations on the new 23B, we also love ours. As for the frig, we typically leave ours on auto when in use. It will flip from Electric to propane and vise versa as needed. Just a note, when running on propane the battery needs to be connected as it uses 12V power for control power.

As long as you ask about any advise at the bottom of your message. After dumping the black tank ALWAYS add a few gallons of water and you sewer chemical solution of choice. Never let that tank go dry unless it is winterized. It sounds like you also plan to use CGs with full hookups (Electric, water and sewer), keep your sewer tank valves closed and only dump the black tank when it is more than 2/3 full, and then follow up with dumping the grey water tank. If you do not you will have a large pile of poo in your tank that will not drain, and cleaning the tank later will not be enjoyable experience.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote