Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skott17 View Post
The black piece that runs along the top does have a channel to divert water that is coming down the side of the trailer.
Yes the screws are on the inside.
We all have that channel but you might and will get some water that comes over the edge every once in a while if it’s windy and find a few drops of water on the inside and scratch your head trying to figure out “ now where in the hell IS THAT coming from”!!! Oh yes Tunce told me about that spot along the top that might need that tape.
Attached Thumbnails
8FD038A4-2483-4BAB-8699-9E99B7179C2D.jpg  
Old 02-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #22

We just got our 2018 x17z back after having problems with the bunk ends separating and a fridge that quit working. Luckily for us, Jayco replaced both bunk end canvas and they used washers on the screws. I don't know if there was a service bulletin or not, we were pleased that its now fixed hopefully it wont happen again. Its no fun when you can stick three fingers out of the bunk end.

Sean
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:06 AM   #23

we replaced the plastic trim on our X17Z

We have a 2018 X17Z that had cracked plastic as well. I ordered new Omega strip from Bear Creek Canvas. It was $3/foot plus $25 shipping.

We took our tents off of the camper (being sure to label things as we went just in case. Then I paid an auto upholsterer to take the existing strip off and replace with the Omega strip. We noticed that the material of the Omega strip seems more durable than was on the camper - so hoping that helps. It was also slightly narrower but I don't think that made any difference.

We reattached the tents. The new strip was tighter than what had been there so finger tips certainly were sore by the time we were done.

On the slanted end, there was white aluminum train covering the upright connections. This was not on the back end though. I would like to find this trim and put it on the back end as well.

The 1/4 round decorative trim on the back bunk seemed to help hold the plastic strip in place. On the slanted end - I used 3/4" x 3/4" L-shaped aluminum strips that I screwed to the shelf above to help hold the plastic strip in place.

for now, I am going to skip putting in any screws at all and just keep an eye on things each time we camp.
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:09 AM   #24

Pics of new Omega strip from Bear Creek - and the white trim I am hoping to locate or at least find out what it is called! It is about 1.75" wide, kind of shallow c-shaped with one leg of the c slightly longer than the other.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20230502_195805289.jpg   PXL_20230521_165441502.jpg  
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 12:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmons View Post
We have a 2018 X17Z that had cracked plastic as well.

for now, I am going to skip putting in any screws at all and just keep an eye on things each time we camp.
Good job! Now I'm going to say something that might be a bit controversial. I served 15 years as a aircraft mechanic in the USAF. I spent a lot of time rigging cable controlled devices. That said, I've long suspected the cable support that goes from the trailer frame at the bunk opening down to the bunk board might have been installed incorrectly. Those plastic channels are there to hold the tent material to the frame of the trailer. The cable is what supports the bunk end. If the cable is just a hair too loose, it could allow the bunk to lower too much, more when your body weight is added to the bunk. That will increase the tension on the channel and eventually cause its failure. If this cable could be tightened, it might prevent the channel being damaged.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Good job! Now I'm going to say something that might be a bit controversial. I served 15 years as a aircraft mechanic in the USAF. I spent a lot of time rigging cable controlled devices. That said, I've long suspected the cable support that goes from the trailer frame at the bunk opening down to the bunk board might have been installed incorrectly. Those plastic channels are there to hold the tent material to the frame of the trailer. The cable is what supports the bunk end. If the cable is just a hair too loose, it could allow the bunk to lower too much, more when your body weight is added to the bunk. That will increase the tension on the channel and eventually cause its failure. If this cable could be tightened, it might prevent the channel being damaged.
So your saying to possibly install a turn buckle
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3585.jpeg  
Old 06-12-2023, 03:33 AM   #27

The top edge of our tent also became loose. Definitely a weakness in these hybrids. As with most screws I find on the trailer, I replaced the ubiquitous factory screw with a good sized SS Phillips screw and washer. plus additional screws. Pre-drill holes in plastic. If screw hole in wood is stripped, could use a filler of some type. I have successfully used course steel wool and dried and re-tapped epoxy.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote