Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2024, 05:38 PM   #1

Fresh water overflow

I read many posts on this topic, but still need help. We bought Jayco X23F after having a Roo 183. Filing fresh water from house and water pouring on ground from a tube hanging behind tires. I think it comes
From bottom of tank, routes up in the floor and back down. I saw posts on losing water during travel amd capping it off, but that’s not our issue.
Low point drain is closed.
Took screws off filler and overflow screen is not attached to a hose. It’s “capped” off. This is where water would come out on our Roo if we overfilled the tank.
We are dry camping this weekend and need to fill water when we arrive. Trailer is not accepting water in the tank.
I’d love a diagram how this is setup as it makes no sense.
Rigs_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:16 PM   #2

I found the answer in the here!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/having-trouble-with-fresh-water-tank-fill-44490.html#post501356

This is a poor design. Also found the manual says you should open sink taps to allow air to escape from fresh tank when filling.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Your tank is vented, just not at the small nipple at the water fill. The hose you see underneath will be a vent/overflow line. Different RVs may have different vent and overflow set ups.

Also, the tank itself is probably very wide, but shallow, which allows some water to spit out, especially if the trailer isn't fairly level, and also, will slosh out from it while towing. Since the vent/overflow line inside diameter is very small, filling it with the hose a little slower might help as well.

Fresh water tanks used to commonly be under the bed or a dinette seat in the past, but in an attempt to gain storage and lower the center of gravity, the manufacturers put them between the frame rails now. Unfortunately, it now has created the water loss issue.

We have two 42-gallon tanks under our TT that are siamesed together, and I installed 1/4 turn shutoff valves on the ends. However, now I need to remember to open them to fill, close to travel, and re-open again once set up. For me, it's a minor inconvenience.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 05:44 AM   #4

Thank you. Yes, very shallow and smaller tank than our Roo. Our house water pressure is not strong, so this is puzzling. Trailer is not perfect level side to side but not something I wouldn’t think impacts this. I noticed the manual says to open inside sink taps when filling fresh water to allow air a place to escape. I’m going to give this a try as well.
I bought a valve to add to end of drain hose and use like you noted. We are not travelling with a load of water, but want to make sure it’s going to hold the water once we arrive and fill.

Tags
overflow water