Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #1

From Coleman Fleetwood Pop UP to 2018 Jayco 17XFD

For years now we have had our 2002 Coleman Fleetwood pop up and loved it. We took it over 35,000 miles all over the country and it was a great way to get into the pull behind camper world. We have always been a tent camping family before that. Now we have upgraded to a 2018 Jayco Jayfeather 17XFD and have taken it on a few camping trips already. Our next trip will be from Atlanta, GA to Grand Teton / Yellowstone National park in July.

The only issue we have seen so far is the cracked seals in the pop our bunk tents. This seems to be a common problem with hybrids. Getting 2 of the pop out tents replaced now.

Any words of advice on the 17XFD? So far we love it except for the seals issue.
VisionsOfAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

We have 2007 17c and love the set up. Easy to pull. Easy to set up and easy to love. Well built trailer other than those seals. I haven’t confirmed but i have read that some national parks dont like the canvas pop outs due to bears? No trips on my radar yet so i havent done any research.

Cheers to many successful miles and destinations in your 17!
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

I agree on the Jayco hybrids being a well built trailer. It pulls well and sets up quickly.

We have camped in allot of the national parks with our pop up camper and no issues with having canvas sided and the bears. We camped in Banff in Canada and they have a special electrical fenced campground for tents and soft sided tow campers which is a great idea.

Yosemite and Sequoia we tent camped there and as long as you adhere to the food storage rules and place in the storage lockers you are ok. I think most rangers are ok with any type of camper as long as you abide by the safety rules set by the park.
VisionsOfAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #4

Enjoy your 2018 Jayco Jayfeather 17XFD!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Thoughts on the 17XFD

Same year and model here - 2018 17XFD. Bought November, 2017

Last summer we did 40 nights, mostly in a month-long National Park tour - Sequoia, Bryce, Moab, Yellowstone and everything in between. Best trip of my life (and there have been many)

The trailer is great given how much it weighs and how easy it is to tow (our TV is a 2017 Honda Pilot). Never had a problem aside from getting behind a big rig going up a mountain in colorado - not enough air flow caused the coolant temp to rise a tad - easily fixed by slowing down.

For the trailer itself, we're struggling with a bad furnace. Its currently in service for the 4th time for that issue - i'm pushing hard for a new furnace, but apparently its a long process between the dealer, dometic and Jayco. Fingers crossed.

Other issues have been minor water leaks - keep an eye out for any drips from the wrong spots (had very minor leaks on the interior connections to the outside shower and the bottom of the kitchen sink), but both were easily fixable (give you can get to them) and haven't posed a problem since.

Bought some solar reflective covers from popupgizmos.com for the bed ends - helps to keep them cool and protected from tree sap and sun damage.

Main drawback is the 45-60 minutes for setup and takedown. Wish i could pull in put the legs down and crack a beer, but given the TV limitations, and what we were going for (small trailer easy to get into NPs), its worth the trouble - you get used to it quickly.

The 3 beds is ideal for two kids - no fighting, easy to get to sleep, storage room at the foot of the side bed...really like that, shame they stopped making it, but hoping that drives resale a bit when we're ready to trade up.

Otherwise, we're happy! pushing for 3 weeks a year. Crater lake on the calendar this year - gotta get that heater fixed!

Cheers!
Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

Congrats and enjoy your 2018 Jayco Jayfeather 17XFD.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #7

We just got a 2018 17FXD and planning a small trip soon before we have to winterize it for the winter.
kblair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State! Congrats on the Jay Feather.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote