Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #1

Front tent leaks when closed

I have a 2009 17c, and the front bunk end leaks(when closed) on entry door side when it rains, mainly in corner, it seems to be running down the hinged area to this corner, I could be wrong, to make sure I put weather stripping on the ends but did not help. I make sure the canvas is all in etc... Just bought in May 2nd owner
Wilson Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Could be a bad rubber seal, or moisture is getting in where the outer door frame meets the large door panel.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Thanks Bob, will be my next project
Love Indiana State Parks 95% of our camping is done there
Wilson Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

Hi, I had the same problem on my 2011 17z -- when open it was dry as a bone, when closed it gathered enough water to soak a towel. I took it in for repair and they just banged the corners in slightly on the top -- problem solved! If your seals look good it might be worth a try!
Cari
IWHLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

I just picked up my 17 c last night from the dealer the door was wharped and had to be replaced
nens78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

Hi Cari Can you give alittle more detail on the repair that fixed your leak. Do you mean they banged in the corners of the drop down panel. Also does anyone know the cost of a new seal around that frame that mates with the drop down panel. I ask because I might have the same problem with my 2008 exp 17c. thanks Mike
LINYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nens78 View Post
I just picked up my 17 c last night from the dealer the door was wharped and had to be replaced
I had a warped door as well. Look at the top middle of the door when it is closed and you may see where it is not closed as much as the ends of the door. with it being out of warranty I would look into adding a thicker gasket and see if this will stop the leak.
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #8

Hi Mike, sorry, I just saw this!
What I did was put a rolled towel in the end while it was closed and after it rained checked to see where it was wet. That helped me know it was the right side of the bed. Yes, the upper (rounded) right corner they just tapped in a little, the metal edge above the seal, and that was all it needed. If you still have warranty I would use that, unfortunately, we bought ours used (the guy owned it for like 3 weeks) so we have no warranty )-: But this worked great for us!!
IWHLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

Leaking bunk ends is a major issue with Hybrids that dealers do not like to talk about. If left untreated the wooden bunk end panel can become soaked with water and rot. After much research and talking to the dealership we found out that most bunk ends have a channel that is designed so that if any water gets in it is supposed to run down the channel and out the bottom, under the rubber gasket. So if is just a bit of water and it seems to be around the rubber gasket.. It could be that it is just a bit of water from that channel... not a big worry.
However we decided to add extra seals to our ends as we wanted to protect our investment. In order to do it fully, the dealership had to remove both bunk ends to beef up the sel all the way around. This cost us $400.00 per side, plus the cost of the rubber gasket.
Jayco may have a free seal upgrade kit available .. Forrest river gives one for their hybrids., and if you are very handy you may be able to do this yourself...
In retrospect.. With all the work and money we put into it.. I think it was overkill. Carefully inspection of the channel, and immediate drying of any moisture might be a better plan...

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #10

We had to get our front seal fixed under warranty they just replaced the seal and tightened up the latches and it seems to be working fine no more water from what I can tell.
rip-cord is offline   Reply With Quote