Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #11

We have the 17z and have found it to be fine. When the kids were younger and traveling with us we had a pup for 19 years (jayco eagle 12) and now that it's just the DW and I going with our 2 Shetland Sheepdogs we have more storage than in the pup before, and the back bed is great when the grandkids get to come along for the weekend. Closing up wet is no worse now than before and having a bathroom is awesome. A slide out would be nice, but it's also nice to be light enough to tow with our jeep. Good luck.

secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #12

I can't tell you what's it's like to from TT to hybrid, but I can make a couple of comments. We've tented, had a pop-up for 11 years, and 2 hybrids over the past 13 years.

Bunk ends and packing up wet. The outside surface of the tenting is vinyl. If they are wet and it's not raining I take a towel and get the excess water off. I open them when I get home and they are usually dry by then, or will dry off in a short time. When packing in the rain, not much choice but to fold them up. They have never taken days to dry. Usually a couple of hours at most. Packing up wet is far easier than doing so with a pop-up or tent. But if you aren't used to any kind of canvas, this could be a deal breaker.

Noise. If you are/were a tenter then this is no big deal. It also depends on where you camp. I've been to CGs that were essentially "party parks" where people we making noise 'till the wee hours. Most state parks don't put up with that, and many privates do not either. Usually by 10 pm all you really hear are normal night noises which I enjoy hearing. Again if you aren't used to this, you may not like it at all.

Heating/Cooling. We've camped in the tent and pop-up in as low as 30. The hybrid is pure luxury and heats and cools the bunk ends just fine. But it is not as good as a hard sided trailer.

Making beds. I never quite understood the concept of "making beds" on a 4" foam mattress. Why do people make their lives so hard? To us it's no different then tenting or using the beds in a pop-up. We lay out an unzipped sleeping bag on top the mattress, then throw the pillows and blankets on top. 2-3 minutes to "make" the bed.

Setup/breakdown time. Our old '03 hybrid had rods that held up the bed, like our pop-up had. A bit of a pain really. Now it's just cables. Easy peasy. Drop the bed wall, put in the shepherd's pole. All of 5 minutes, maybe.

When all is said and done hybrids aren't for everyone. You really have to like the "outdoor" feel of the tent ends and the extra few minutes of setup/take down time involved. And the fact that you can hear almost everything outside, and they can potentially hear you. If this isn't what you are used to, you may want to reconsider.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I can't tell you what's it's like to from TT to hybrid, but I can make a couple of comments. We've tented, had a pop-up for 11 years, and 2 hybrids over the past 13 years.

Bunk ends and packing up wet. The outside surface of the tenting is vinyl. If they are wet and it's not raining I take a towel and get the excess water off. I open them when I get home and they are usually dry by then, or will dry off in a short time. When packing in the rain, not much choice but to fold them up. They have never taken days to dry. Usually a couple of hours at most. Packing up wet is far easier than doing so with a pop-up or tent. But if you aren't used to any kind of canvas, this could be a deal breaker.

Noise. If you are/were a tenter then this is no big deal. It also depends on where you camp. I've been to CGs that were essentially "party parks" where people we making noise 'till the wee hours. Most state parks don't put up with that, and many privates do not either. Usually by 10 pm all you really hear are normal night noises which I enjoy hearing. Again if you aren't used to this, you may not like it at all.

Heating/Cooling. We've camped in the tent and pop-up in as low as 30. The hybrid is pure luxury and heats and cools the bunk ends just fine. But it is not as good as a hard sided trailer.

Making beds. I never quite understood the concept of "making beds" on a 4" foam mattress. Why do people make their lives so hard? To us it's no different then tenting or using the beds in a pop-up. We lay out an unzipped sleeping bag on top the mattress, then throw the pillows and blankets on top. 2-3 minutes to "make" the bed.

Setup/breakdown time. Our old '03 hybrid had rods that held up the bed, like our pop-up had. A bit of a pain really. Now it's just cables. Easy peasy. Drop the bed wall, put in the shepherd's pole. All of 5 minutes, maybe.

When all is said and done hybrids aren't for everyone. You really have to like the "outdoor" feel of the tent ends and the extra few minutes of setup/take down time involved. And the fact that you can hear almost everything outside, and they can potentially hear you. If this isn't what you are used to, you may want to reconsider.

X2
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #14

We actually sold our F350 crew cab and 2012 Jayco 28BHS last September. Decided to downsize and explore some campgrounds better suited for small trailers. We recently bought a 2015 X17Z and tow it with a 2007 Acura MDX. We haven't taken it out yet, so I can't report on the upsides or downsides of our decision to downsize but have a spring break trip planned in April. I can update this thread at that time. We spend lots of time outside of the trailer when we are camping, so space wasn't a big concern. Our kids are 15 and 12. We are former pop up trailer owners too, so the canvas isn't a big deal for us. Just need to remember ear plugs for the morning diesel trucks and crows!

Past Rigs:
2012 Jay Flight 28BHS ('12-'15)
2006 Salem 26BH (RIP- Totaled in Yellowstone 7/12)
1995 Jayco Tent Trailer ('05 - '09)
1985 Coleman Tent Trailer ('85 - '05)
stryker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:35 PM   #15

[QUOTE=stryker75;381628]Just need to remember ear plugs for the morning diesel trucks.

x2 and an oxygen mask for everyone around. From what I understand there's no need to run them for for 10-15 minutes. Dealers say it's old school and I'm on my 3rd diesel and I've never done that.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #16

We have a diesel TV and 40' quad slide 5er. We loved it, but its not camping. Luxury for 2 and not much room for guests. As soon as we sell it, we are going back to a hybrid. With the tent ends you still get the camping feel but have a few amenities as well. Probably will get another 23B. Load it up with grandkids and make a few memories. :-)
Me, I'm feeling like some camping, but I don't want an air mattress in a tent on the ground with the cold walk to the bathroom at 2AM. PUP's are too much work and everything needs to come out when you take it down. Hybrids tow easy, setup is easy, have some storage room and taking down in the rain is really no big deal.At worst you may want to pop the ends open to dry out when you get home.
Like several of the previous posts, it's very much a personal choice, depends where you camp and what you like. You couldn't pay some people to camp in a hybrid.
Happy trails whatever you decide. :-)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #17

OP what size HTT are you looking at? Do you not find for F150 tows your 28BHS well? We upgraded from a X23B to a 29bhs and have absolutely no regrets. The hybrid was OK but not a lot of storage, camping in early spring and late fall was always uncomfortable because of colder climate. We'd also do 2-3 week stints in the summer and when we'd get prolonged periods of rain (ie 2-3 days) the insides of the canvas would start to get damp and uncomfortable.
Fivepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #18

We have a 23B and love it! The only two drawback for us is that you do hear a lot of noise but everything else about this camper has been positive.

If we think it is going to rain we simply don't use the beds, we can always make up a bed in the dinette area or pop out the J-couch.

jjsgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote