Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

Great Stuff Pest Block

New camper here. I have a 2019 19H. I've read that some folks use this stuff on the underbelly to seal things up to help keep critters out.

Are there known areas I should be sure to hit? Are there areas I should avoid? Or do I just get under there and take a look and start filling gaps?

Thanks in advance.
jbagnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbagnall View Post
New camper here. I have a 2019 19H. I've read that some folks use this stuff on the underbelly to seal things up to help keep critters out.

Are there known areas I should be sure to hit? Are there areas I should avoid? Or do I just get under there and take a look and start filling gaps?

Thanks in advance.
Just start at the front or back and slowly work your way to the opposite side looking for ANY gaps, holes, or seams. Think like a mouse or critter and fill everything they’d be likely to crawl into. I left absolutely nothing open on mine. What I didn’t foam shut I caulked shut (wire access holes and such). I didn’t want anything from mice to squirrels, or snakes wasps or bees to have entry. Look above the axles, under the tongue/front stone guard area too, I had lots of wire entry there. Once you do the outside go inside and look under every cabinet, inside the sink area, under the stove (yes big hole was here on mine). Seal the thing up air tight and you’ll thank yourself later. One mouse can ravage a camper, a friend of mine almost had a totally ruined camper when one got in his ducts.
Once you’ve sealed it so good your sure the thing would float throw some Cab Fresh packets under the sinks and in the storage areas. Maybe a mouse trap or two if she’s going to sit for a while if you are so inclined.
Next thing is to get the wire screen covers for your furnace exhaust and water heater exhaust and fridge vent. You don’t want wasps, spiders, bees and again mice, coming into those areas either.
A best offense is a good defense lol.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #3

Just hit any opening.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #4

Personally I am not a big fan of the Great Stuff, especially when I have to spray it upside down above me. I personally like to cut a little piece of scotch brite copper or Stainless Steel scrub pads , shove into the hole cover with a dap of marine silicone. Just a small squeeze tube was all I needed.

Key is to hit every spot, look from different angles. There are a lot of holes, and easy to miss a few. Once I found them on the outside, I went inside, and plugged all that I could from the inside.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #5

I worked briefly for a pest control company and they used copper mesh to seal holes in houses/businesses. Copper won't rust and mice won't gnaw thru it. https://www.amazon.com/Stuf-fit-Copp...s%2C154&sr=8-3
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

I am a belt and suspender guy. I stuff with aluminum screen wire or stainless steel scrubbers from Dollar Tree. I then foam or caulk it in place. Every place under. Then go inside and stuff then caulk all the holes coming up through the floor. Inside cabinets, inside storage bays, behind the sink, water, sewer and electrical. If the hole seems tight around the pipe or cable I still put a bead around it against ants and bugs.

The upside down problem with Great Stuff can be solved with about a foot of clear vinyl tubing that I put over the factor tube to extend it. I use a little tape to hold it in place.

When you stop for even a few minutes you need to clean out the nozzle on the can and the tube with acetone to reuse the can. 1 4 oz can last for many cans of great stuff.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote