Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

green wire dangling near rear tire

I was emptying my black tank the other day and something caught my eye that I never saw before. It's just a green wire hanging down the near the rear tires near where you pull the handles to empty the tank.

Any idea what that's for? We were leaving and I didn't have time to investigate.

2018 19H
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190811_140954.jpg  
jbagnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbagnall View Post
I was emptying my black tank the other day and something caught my eye that I never saw before. It's just a green wire hanging down the near the rear tires near where you pull the handles to empty the tank.

Any idea what that's for? We were leaving and I didn't have time to investigate.

2018 19H
Does your tank gauge work?
Old 08-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #3

You know, I don't know. I remember playing with those when I first got it. But, after reading here how unreliable they are, I usually dump both tanks before we leave for the weekend (we're at a seasonal site).

I'll add it to the list of things to check next time we're out there. Wish I had more time to investigate before we had to leave!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #4

The stripped end looks shines like it recently pulled from a crimped connection. Near a tire, brakes?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #5

Do you have an open under belly? I get it is for one of the tank gauge level positions. I mine hung low. I used a couple zip ties to pull the wires up, so road debris would not snag and tear one loose..

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #6

Looks like an electric trailer brake wire to me.

In case somebody reads and isn't aware - trailer brakes work via an electromagnet driven by the TV output - the more current sent down the wire, the stronger the magnet grips to the inner surface of the (rotating) metal hub. That rotational grip/motion is translated via rods and joints into force that applies the brake pads to the drum.

The wires to the brake magnet look exactly like that, always have a connector just inside the wheel to connect to the trailer wiring, and that connection is usually just sticking out behind the wheel (i.e., easy to be torn off)

Get under and check the back-side of the nearest wheel. Compare to other wheels - there should always be a wire coming out of the drum connecting to a wire on the trailer underbody. If that tire is missing one - you found your problem.

You may be able to splice a new piece of wire in there, though it might require removing the tire and/or drum depending on where it broke.
Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morttt View Post
Looks like an electric trailer brake wire to me.

In case somebody reads and isn't aware - trailer brakes work via an electromagnet driven by the TV output - the more current sent down the wire, the stronger the magnet grips to the inner surface of the (rotating) metal hub. That rotational grip/motion is translated via rods and joints into force that applies the brake pads to the drum.

The wires to the brake magnet look exactly like that, always have a connector just inside the wheel to connect to the trailer wiring, and that connection is usually just sticking out behind the wheel (i.e., easy to be torn off)

Get under and check the back-side of the nearest wheel. Compare to other wheels - there should always be a wire coming out of the drum connecting to a wire on the trailer underbody. If that tire is missing one - you found your problem.

You may be able to splice a new piece of wire in there, though it might require removing the tire and/or drum depending on where it broke.
Not a brake wire, they are always blue. The main brake cable runs will be in a grey exterior sheath, and the unsheathed portions are always blue. They do also use the same Scotchlok crimped fitting.

Best thing to do is Call Jayco, have your vin number and ask for them to email you the low voltage wiring diagram. Each wire is color coded to its function.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Not a brake wire, they are always blue. The main brake cable runs will be in a grey exterior sheath, and the unsheathed portions are always blue. They do also use the same Scotchlok crimped fitting.

Best thing to do is Call Jayco, have your vin number and ask for them to email you the low voltage wiring diagram. Each wire is color coded to its function.
Perhaps usually, but not always...Here's mine:

Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #9

Agreed not a brake wire, gauge of the red wire is too small.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #10

Is there a maker light close to where you found the wire? Green is usually used for tail and marker lights. Have you looked for the other end of the red wire dangling in the vicinity?
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #11

Thanks for all the ideas. I won't be back there for a bit, but will follow up on this thread when I figure out what the heck it is indeed for.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Why not just slide underneath the rig, and see where that wire reaches to. Should be pretty easy to determine what it was connected to.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

Yep! That's the plan when I get out there next. Our camper is at a seasonal site about an hour from home. Hoping to get back there soon to solve this mystery. Just noticed it while dumping the tanks while children were screaming in the car dreading the car ride home so didn't have time!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #14

Update.

Turns out it's capped. There was another one down there as well. As we all another one (a ground) off the grey tank. The rest of the wires in the bunch go to lights and stuff. So I'm guessing these two extra ones are just extra for something like the backup camera.

I just tied them up along the frame and called it down for now.

Mystery solved.