Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #1

Grey water valve problem 16XRB

Since I bought my 16XRB I have been suspecting there was a problem with the grey water valve. The valve is very hard to pull and push to close even after oiling it and feels very different than the black water valve. As well, after emptying the grey water tank as soon as we start using the sinks water starts making its way out of the holding tank to the drain. I left a clear extension on the drain so I could monitor it and as I suspected the drain starts fill even when the valve is closed. Picture attached. I even mentioned it to the service ppl at the dealership who claimed to check it and said it was fine. This should not be happening right? anyone else have this problem and is there a way to fix it or does it need service?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3058.JPG  
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #2

Could be a piece of debris stuck in the seal where the blade slides closed. Doesn't take much to allow water to pass.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Watch the attached video. It shows how to repair a sticky valve.

My valves were hard to push/pull and didn't easily want to close all the way. I did this modification, which consists of drilling a hole into the valve and injecting a lubricant, and it completely solved my problem. They have been smooth ever since. I was hesitant to do the mod but am so happy I finally did it.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
Site Team

The valve does comes apart so the blade seals can be replaced if needed. They may be distorted or gunked up. Since you say it moved hard and leaks by, If it was my TT, I'd get a new blade seal kit (or whole new valve), lube it with plumber's grease, and replace it. Not a difficult job at all, just some time underneath it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the replies and ideas. What bugs me most is that I am sure its been like this since I bought it and the dealership told me it was fine. Now its out of warranty
Old 09-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Watch the attached video. It shows how to repair a sticky valve.

My valves were hard to push/pull and didn't easily want to close all the way. I did this modification, which consists of drilling a hole into the valve and injecting a lubricant, and it completely solved my problem. They have been smooth ever since. I was hesitant to do the mod but am so happy I finally did it.

This would be a great think to try but on my 16XRB the valves don't look like this and there seems to be a long cable running to the valve controlling it. I have tried spaying the cable. Not sure if other 16XRB owners have this issue?
Old 09-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #7
Site Team

That's different. A leaking valve isn't normal, at least it shouldn't let a large quantity past. A small dribble...maybe. If your concern was documented while under warranty, I'd at the least ask them to give you a new one to put on, if they won't install it for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #8

My 2016 16XRB does the exact same thing. Long cable. Black water fine. Grey water drips heavily, a trickle. Cable seems out of whack, but not ready to do anything about it. (Minor annoyance)
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
My 2016 16XRB does the exact same thing. Long cable. Black water fine. Grey water drips heavily, a trickle. Cable seems out of whack, but not ready to do anything about it. (Minor annoyance)
Just an update, my grey tank now leaks constantly to the point where no water stays in the tank. Not sure if yours has gotten worse as well?
Old 07-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #10

Just replace it.
I have a 2018 16xrb, and my grey valve has always been stiffer than my black valve. Not leaking, but just a matter of time.

Get it here-

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/TC172.html

BTW- you can shorten the cable if you need to
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote