Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Heading to pick up our new 17z this afternoon

We are heading to pick up our new 17z this afternoon. I was wondering if anyone could think of any questions I should ask the dealer's staff this afternoon. This is our first travel trailer and I am trying to compile a list of questions to ask during our walk through.
Eric009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

That is very exciting. I would like the same list as we will be picking ours up in a few weeks.
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Eric! Here is a Pre-delivery check list that may help you out. Congrats on the new tt!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

Also make sure they give you a complete walk through on how to hitch and un-hitch it. They should also help you adjust your brake controller. Dont let them rush you and stay until you have all of your questions answered and feel comfortable. Verify you have a full packet of manuals and also ask for a brochure you can put in the docs. It is great to have a clean copy down the road when you go to sell it - buyers like that.

Also - make sure your battery is properly hooked up, charged, and get them to demonstrate how to test the pull away brake. A good dealer will also make sure you leave with full propane tanks.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #5

Thanks for the link. That was exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to try everything out.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Congrats on the new trailer. Give everything a good trial run soon as possible. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #7

Congratulations. Enjoy the new trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #8

Talking eric009

When you get the manuals double check to be sure they included the manuals for the converter, tv, micro, furnace, ac, water heater, fridge, t-stat, dvd player & any other item not made by Jayco as these are the items that you relay on when camping. The Jayco built stuff got you there now you have to live with the "other stuff". Happy camping.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #9

Well ????????? Tell us all about it!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #10

I got it yesterday. The dealer did a pretty good job of going over everything and told me just to call if we had any trouble and they'd walk me through it. Everything seemed to be working fine. The only problem I found when I got home was the dead bolt would not lock because the door latch was to far inside. I took the latch off and made a quick adjustment and it now works like a champ. We are going to go to a local park close to our house tomorrow night to really try everything out. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 truck and it pulled the trailer easily. I got a weight distribution hitch with sway bar and a brake controller. I adjusted the controller a couple times on the way home it seemed to be fine after the adjustments. It is just going to take me a while to get used to having it behind me. I need to invest in some spot mirrors for my truck. It was a bit hard to see because the trailer is a little wider than my truck. I'll post again after this weekend to let everyone know how our trip went.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #11

Congratulations!

We got our 17 Z last year and it really took the experience up a notch from the pop up.

I know you will enjoy it. We can't wait to get ours back on the road next month. Heading down to Topsail Park in FL.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/topsailhill/

Good luck with it.
wl_perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #12

Thumbs up Congrats

I too have a new 17Z. Just love it. There are a couple of mods posted on the forum you may want to consider, one increases storage. Enjoy your weekend.
Fishinggunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #13

Love our 17Z!!

We also have a 17Z, we bought last May. Its a great little camper, especially if your used to a pop up, it an easy transition.
Love to hear 'bout the maiden trip....keep us posted!!

Can't wait for first trip this year...C'mon spring!!!!!
2010 17Z
2010 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab HD Z71 Tow & Trailering PKG 6 Speed tranny.
shepwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #14

Another 17Z here too.

We downsized from a Class A motorhome and love it.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #15

Update from our trip this past weekend.
We went to one of our local state parks. We got the 17Z to the site and setup was a breeze. We got the tents setup very quickly and the water and electric connections were quick and easy. The park we stayed at only had water and electric service. We got to try out the dump station when we left Sunday LOL!! The bad thing was the water spigot at the dump station didn't work, but we did OK.
The temperature Friday night got down to 36 and we only brought one blanket for each bed. We were pretty cold even with the furnace running all night long. We did better Saturday night. We got a few more blankets from the house during the day. The park had fire pits at each site, several grills around the camping area, and a nice fishing pod about a 100 yards from our site. Most importantly our kids had a great time and we already want to go on another trip. We are planning on taking another trip next week.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #16

Eric,

Sounds like it went well. We are going to pick up our trailer in a week and a half. We are a little nervous with the whole dump station process but it sounds like its not so bad. Enjoy all the great memories you are creating.

Cheers
bertscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric009 View Post
Update from our trip this past weekend.
We went to one of our local state parks. We got the 17Z to the site and setup was a breeze. We got the tents setup very quickly and the water and electric connections were quick and easy. The park we stayed at only had water and electric service. We got to try out the dump station when we left Sunday LOL!! The bad thing was the water spigot at the dump station didn't work, but we did OK.
The temperature Friday night got down to 36 and we only brought one blanket for each bed. We were pretty cold even with the furnace running all night long. We did better Saturday night. We got a few more blankets from the house during the day. The park had fire pits at each site, several grills around the camping area, and a nice fishing pod about a 100 yards from our site. Most importantly our kids had a great time and we already want to go on another trip. We are planning on taking another trip next week.
You may want to try adding a small electric space heater to supplement your furnace for those cold nights in that hybrid. 1500 watt should do nicely. I have a buddy who owns a hybrid and the electric heater is a big help on those cold nights. -Lee
Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertscampers View Post
Eric,

Sounds like it went well. We are going to pick up our trailer in a week and a half. We are a little nervous with the whole dump station process but it sounds like its not so bad. Enjoy all the great memories you are creating.

Cheers
No need to be nervous about dumping. I had reservations about it at first as well, but believe me there`s nothing to it. You`ll be a dump pro after your first time!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #19

Hi Eric009, congratulations on the 17Z. We bought a 17Z last year and are really enjoying it. One tip I have for you, and I know it's too late for the dealer to show you, but when it comes to winterizing the water system the Jayco manual is just about useless. Unless it has been changed the manual does not telly you that the hose for sucking the antifreeze into the system is under the booth seat closest to the fridge. I spent hours trying to follow the Jayco instructions for sucking the antifreeze from the city water connection (outside) which does nothing. Finally I hit the Jayco forum and got some tips and found everything I needed under that seat.
RedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #20

We also use an electric heater in our 23J but if it gets real cold we run the furnace.
yorkgm is offline   Reply With Quote