Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #11

Since you asked, I would contact these folks:

Trailer, Plow, & Sander Service - The Trailer Depot, Connecticut

Just tell them everything you need to do to your RR and ask for an estimate. I'd be curious the difference in price.

Murff

Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #12

Whatever you do, don't take the trailer dealer's word for what your vehicle can tow. They no nothing about your payload capacity or GCWR--which mean as much, if not MORE, than towing capacity.

Yeah, you may be able to tow 7700 lbs. Will you feel comfortable doing it with your vehicle? Probably not. Even 5000 lbs. with all the extra stuff may be pushing it.

Ask the experts in the forums listed above. Trust them over the dealer.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #13

I'm assuming the dealer is also installing the electric brake controller in your vehicle? Even so, $1100.00 seems steep. I did this on my 2000 Ford Ranger, and my current tow vehicle, a 2007 Ford F150, and doing BOTH was less than half that for what they are wanting to charge you. Granted there's a labor charge, and if we assume the average going rate of $90.00 an hour, it would take a knowing shop that has done this before maybe 2 to 3 hours, tops. So that's $270.00 in labor. Subtract this from the $1100.00 the dealer wants, and you are left with an $830.00 charge for parts. That's a lot for a hitch/receiver, ball, electric brake controller, and wiring.

Locate a U-Haul dealership in your area and get a quote from them; I'm betting it will be much less.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
Whatever you do, don't take the trailer dealer's word for what your vehicle can tow. They no nothing about your payload capacity or GCWR--which mean as much, if not MORE, than towing capacity.

Yeah, you may be able to tow 7700 lbs. Will you feel comfortable doing it with your vehicle? Probably not. Even 5000 lbs. with all the extra stuff may be pushing it.

Ask the experts in the forums listed above. Trust them over the dealer.
Clearly, I'm incapable of late-night thought. That should be "They KNOW nothing", not "They NO nothing". For some reason I can't edit posts anymore.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #15

Somersles Is it safe to assume that the tires you have on the RR have the same rating as the oem tires that came with your RR. They are a big factor in the tow rating. It doesn't sound like your RR has a " tow package" so things like a oil cooler or a trans cooler are not on your RR. You may want to find out what comes on a RR tow package and be sure you have those items for safe and happy towing. just my $.02 Larry
Old 08-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #16

You certainly need a wiring harness, however most vehicles are pre-wired. Which means that there's probably a plug under the dash to plug the brake controler into and a plug somewhere near the rear of the vehicle to plug the couple of feet of wire that runs from the hitch mounted 7-pin plug. It's not like you actually have to have new wires run from the dash to the hitch.

You may be able to go with an aftermarket kit, like this:
Range Rover Sport Trailer Wiring Kit (Part # YWJ500170)

Or you may be better off getting the OEM kit. But you can get the kit and put it on your self or have somebody other than RR do it.

Same with the hitch, you can get OEM or aftermarket and put it on yourself or have somebody else do it.

"tow mode" may not be BS as somebody else posted. From what I know about VW's: Today's computer controlled vehicles are smart. When enabled, "tow mode" changes the shift points of the transmission for example when the system detects a trailer is attached. When you get a vehicle from the factory with the tow package, they'd would have enabled this. Since you're adding the towing package after the fact you'll have to get it turned on. You may have to get this done at RR (and you might need OEM wiring harness for it to work). Although, even there all you need is the right tools (software/hardware connected to diagnostic port) & knowledge and you can turn it on yourself.

Factory tow packages usually include a transmission cooler. But for instance, all Honda Ridgelines include a transmission cooler even if they don't come from the factory with hitch and harness. So you may or may not need a cooler. Again, OEM or aftermarket is a decision to make.

I suggest poking around here:
RangeRovers.net Forum

And see what other RR owners are saying. If it's anything like the Honda Ridgeline forums, they will be able to help you understand exactly what you need and be able to guide you in the OEM vs aftermarket choices.

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball mount, hitch, tow vehicle, towing, trailing