Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: pepperell
Posts: 35
How does my weight hitch setup look?

I installed my hitch today and after a few tweaks I think I got it.

This is a Pro Series 10k/750 hitch. Before setup my front wheels were 33.5" from ground to center wheel well and backs were roughly 34.3125.

After the hitch install my rear dropped about an inch while the fronts stayed the same at 33.5".

The bars seem to be parallel to the frame and the vehicle doesn't seem to be sagging.

Anything look odd that you pros can see?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150616_22217.jpg   IMG_20150616_54963.jpg   IMG_20150616_12874.jpg  
__________________

Ryan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
3'senough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,072
Just looking at your tire clearance and angle between the hitch and A frame it looks perfect. What I don't see is sway control. A far off shot would help make a better determination including the trailer and TV.

Is it loaded? Once loaded you will need to take another look as your tongue weight will change as a result.
__________________

__________________

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: pepperell
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Just looking at your tire clearance and angle between the hitch and A frame it looks perfect. What I don't see is sway control. A far off shot would help make a better determination including the trailer and TV.

Is it loaded? Once loaded you will need to take another look as your tongue weight will change as a result.
Sway hitch is on opposite side. No it was unloaded, but even when loaded we don't have much cargo, we do mostly weekend trips so very limited cargo is with us. The heaviest thing I bring is beer
Ryan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,369
Based on the information provided, it looks pretty good from my vantage point.

I assume that you simulated a "loaded" TV/TT condition as best one could, and that the trailer tows level, or slightly nose down.

If you get an opportunity, take your loaded TV/TT to a CAT scale for a weigh-in...., this will confirm that all your loaded weights are within their respective limits, and you will be able to confirm that your tongue weight is within 10% to 15% of the trailer's gross scaled weight.

CAT Scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

ps: I've never claimed to be a pro at this hitching stuff, because there is always something new to learn
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,006
It may be the camera angle but in the last pic the TT looks slightly nose up. A load (beer) might level it out.
Rustic has good advice, visit the scales.
The CAT Scale is your friend.
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 361
After reading this I want to check mine, but I have a question.

I see you measured from the center of the wheel to the ground. I though I would measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground. Doesn't measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel only measure how much the tires moved instead of the frame pushing down on or pulling up on the suspension?

One other question. If I do have some sag in the back or lift in the front, should I take up one more link in the chain on my bars to correct for that?

Thanks
__________________
Model X19H Expandable
GMC Sierra Pick up

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,109
Nice thing about the chain system, you can increase or decrease the bar tension be using a different link.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: pepperell
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
After reading this I want to check mine, but I have a question.

I see you measured from the center of the wheel to the ground. I though I would measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground. Doesn't measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel only measure how much the tires moved instead of the frame pushing down on or pulling up on the suspension?

One other question. If I do have some sag in the back or lift in the front, should I take up one more link in the chain on my bars to correct for that?

Thanks
I meant to say ground to center of wheel well, I was typing too fast with my trigger finger. Yes, that's my understanding, you can always go up another link, but I believe there is a cut off, on mine it has to be a minimum of 5 links. I'm at 6 currently.
Ryan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan79 View Post
Yes, that's my understanding, you can always go up another link, but I believe there is a cut off, on mine it has to be a minimum of 5 links. I'm at 6 currently.
I have what may be deemed a dumb question, but when you talk about min number of links do you mean the ones under pressure or the ones that are loose after the hook?

I think you mean the ones under pressure.

Thanks
__________________
Model X19H Expandable
GMC Sierra Pick up

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: pepperell
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
I have what may be deemed a dumb question, but when you talk about min number of links do you mean the ones under pressure or the ones that are loose after the hook?

I think you mean the ones under pressure.

Thanks

Yes, minimum of 5 under pressure.
__________________

Ryan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.