Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

How To Wash a Hybrid

Since our trailer season has ended here in Canada its time for me to clean the trailer for the first time before she goes to sleep for the winter. There is so many pricey products for cleaning the awning, tent ends and trailer but i'm wondering if all this is needed?

My plan was to just use a soft car washing brush and car washing soap mixed with water like i would clean my vehicle on a sunny day and scrub and rinse the tent ends, awning and trailer exterior. Is this fine? Or do I need "special" potions and lotions for each part of my Hybrid?
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

I'm no expert on hybrids, but for my WH, I follow your plan. I use a car wash liquid soap, water and a soft extendable brush I bought years ago specifically for this purpose. I also wash the roof as that is the source for the dreaded black steaks that everyone works so hard to eliminate. Once or twice a year, I also use a spray wax (on a cloudy day). For bug splatters, I use a sponge that is made for removing bugs from car finishes. Before putting it to bed, I also clean the awning, as I find it easier to do it in the fall than wait for spring to clean it. We've got one more trip next week then I'll take care of my cleaning for the year.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

I just washed mine yesterday.....we've had it parked under some Crepe Myrtles for the past month while we remodel our one bathroom in the house (gut job) so we can make use of the bathroom facilities. The remodel is just about done....hopefully I can finish it up this week (just have the shower tile to finish). Yesterday was beautiful and the canvas was black with the sticky stuff that drips off Crepes......I've always used Tide detergent and a cup of bleach in 2 gallons of water to clean the canvases with a soft brush.....lost of scrubbing, lots of rinsing and once it dries I give it a good treatment with a water spray wax......haven't had a problem with it and it's almost 4 years old now and the canvases look brand new still. I'll give it another quick wash this weekend and before closing it up for the winter.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #4

There is nothing special about cleaning a hybrid. This is our second one that we bought new, the first was an '03 Kiwi 17a that we had for 10 years.

I only clean the tent ends if there are stains from trees. Otherwise I never touch them. I do treat the bunk end seals twice a year with Turtle Wax super protectant.

For cleaning the outside I've been using an RV product called Voom. It's probably about the equivalent of a good car wash solution. What I found last year was that it's the best thing I've ever used for cleaning mold and dirt from the underside of the awning. In the past for cleaning the awning I've used a mixture of hot water and generic OxyClean. I use a wand with a soft pad for cleaning both the body of the trailer and the awning. Something about using a brush of any kind, even a soft one, doesn't sit right with me. You can pick one of the these up at most auto parts stores or home improvement stores.

Give it a good wax job. I prefer an automotive paste wax from Meguiars or Mothers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

I start on the roof and work my way down. I use a car-wash brush for everything.

On the roof, I use Dawn Dishsoap, it does a good job, getting most of the black crude off the membrane. At the same time, I check all the caulking, if it is bubbling or cracked, I clean it extra well and apply new caulk. Or at least I did until I covered all the caulking with Eternabond. You should check the roof twice a year. This tends to be the #1 place for water leaks to begin.

For the walls; I prewash any black streaks and the front cap for bugs with a product called "Spray Power" by crown (no association, but I like it). I use it full strength, and the crude just slides right off. Then I use a car-wash soap with a wax. Just wash the entire camper from top to bottom. I have never waxed my HTT. I hate to wax, and when I am done it looks really nice.

As for the awning. If it is really dirty, I usually use Spray Power again full strength, roll up the awning and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. unroll, scrub with my car-wash brush, and rinse.

As for the tent ends; I wash them with Dawn dish soap also as needed, during the camping season. I have never applied anything else. I always have the bunk ends fully closed, when washing the rest of the HTT.

I know there is a lot of other products people use instead of Spray Power, such as "Awesome", something with Purple in the name. I have tried Simple Green. but I really like Spray Power. But I am having a hard time finding it lately.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote