Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Camp Hill
Posts: 239
I sadly weigh a little more; and, the roof supported my weight. I used a 2' square piece of plywood to help distribute the weight. When accessing the roof with an extension ladder, place a protective layer of towels where the ladder will rest against the edge of the roof. This will prevent the ladder from cutting into the roofing material.
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco X23B
Solar System: Renogy 300W/Tristar 45 PWM
DC System: Trojan T-105 225 AH/Samlex PST-600 PSW
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,601
I'll be on the roof this weekend. I'm thinking about preventative maintenance. The Eternabond looked fine a couple weeks ago when I was sweeping the slides off but just may replace it...just because. Is there an easy way to get the old stuff to release? Also a question about Dicor. When and when not to use self-leveling? I imagine self-leveling spreads and flattens out more. Am I right?
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #23
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I'll be on the roof this weekend. I'm thinking about preventative maintenance. The Eternabond looked fine a couple weeks ago when I was sweeping the slides off but just may replace it...just because. Is there an easy way to get the old stuff to release? Also a question about Dicor. When and when not to use self-leveling? I imagine self-leveling spreads and flattens out more. Am I right?
You have the Dicor info correct. I would not recommend trying to remove the Eternabond. It will likely do damage to the roof material that will result in a larger repair.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You have the Dicor info correct. I would not recommend trying to remove the Eternabond. It will likely do damage to the roof material that will result in a larger repair.
Oh really? Didn't know that. So, just put new over the old?
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Oh really? Didn't know that. So, just put new over the old?
Why do you need new Eternabond? If it was improperly installed, it should be falling off and easy to remove. If it was properly installed, if should last longer than your roof...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Why do you need new Eternabond? If it was improperly installed, it should be falling off and easy to remove. If it was properly installed, if should last longer than your roof...
I guess I probably don't. Water leaks wig me out a little and I was just gonna do preventative maintenance. It looks ok and is bonding good. Maybe I should just move on to something else and leave it be.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Why do you need new Eternabond? If it was improperly installed, it should be falling off and easy to remove. If it was properly installed, if should last longer than your roof...
Does Jayco use Eternabond at the factory?

I was thinking it was some other seam sealing tape.

The seam on the roof of my slide is looking a little lose in spots. Mainly over the screwheads. I was planning to pull it off and replace with Eternabond.
__________________
Charles in SLC, UT (formerly in Cincinnati, OH.)
2014 F-150 XLT, 3.5EB , HDPP
2011 Jayco x23B
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Camping Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Does Jayco use Eternabond at the factory?

I was thinking it was some other seam sealing tape.

The seam on the roof of my slide is looking a little lose in spots. Mainly over the screwheads. I was planning to pull it off and replace with Eternabond.
First, I do not believe the factory is using Eternabond. It's a generic tape.

We had the same problem on our slide. The problem is the tape they are using is only 3"-4" wide. When you extend the slide out, the rubber wiper seal curls up and binds against the tape grabbing the edge of it on the way out. To solve it I put 6" wide Eternabond over the old stuff. Now when the slide is fully retracted, the edge of the tape is about 2" inside past the wiper seal. By the time the edge hits the seal, it's already rolled outward.
__________________

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
So for those who bought their trailers new, how long was it before the original caulking/lap sealant needed attention?
Mine is almost 2 years old and I had a leak on the TV antenna this spring after uncovering it. Turned out to be a small crack in the caulk - Dicor fixed it right up...
__________________

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
RVhiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
... I put 6" wide Eternabond over the old stuff. Now when the slide is fully retracted, the edge of the tape is about 2" inside past the wiper seal. By the time the edge hits the seal, it's already rolled outward.
And another thing that can help keep the seal from sticking to the edge of the Eternabond is to put a small, ramped bead of caulk along the edge of the Eternabond. This seals the edge of the Eternabond adhesive, and the ramp makes it easier for the seal to slip up on top of the Eternabond.

By the way, X2 on the idea of the OP leaving the original Eternabond as is, since it is in good condition. Removing Eternabond from EPDM is not impossible, but it is decidedly not an easy, fun job.
__________________

__________________
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.