Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

how to weatherproof the roof

when i picked up my x17z from de-winterizing they mentioned that the most important thing is to weatherproof the roof about every 6 months.
they said i should hose it down, then spray a sealant on it and then rinse again.
Does that sound about right? what do you guys do? any tips or tricks?

thanks

Schilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #2

Yup one way to do it I just got done doing mine I mix the roof cleaner 16 oz with a gallon of water hose it and then wash with soft brush one area at a time rinse right away and do another area until the whole roof is done I have a x19h. 2011

MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #3

Thanks. That sounds like a lot of work. So, do you climb on top of the roof or how do you get it all
Over?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

You need to clean and inspect the roof twice a year. I clean with a car wash Brush and Dawn dishsoap. Inspect the caulk and call it a day.

I inquired with the dealer about sealants for the membrane and they said the sealers are a waste of money, but the caulking keep up with it.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #5

Interesting. But in order to caulk, wouldn't you have to be on top of the roof? I'm a little afraid that it might not hold my 220 lbs.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilly View Post
Interesting. But in order to caulk, wouldn't you have to be on top of the roof? I'm a little afraid that it might not hold my 220 lbs.
It will hold you. Just try to focus your weight on the trusses. They are pretty easy to see through the plywood and membrane.

From my Note 5
Old 05-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Keeping a rubber roof in top shape does involve a lot of work and a lot of caulk to inspect and replace when needed. It isn't for everyone and not cheap, but when my rubber roof membrane started leaking through the membrane my solution was: rvroof.com. No more rubber roof and no more caulking EVER!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #8

RVroof.com sounds interesting. Unfortunately no location close to where i am.

Are there any other ways to seal or apply some sort of coating to the roof so that one doesn't have to wash and caulk it twice a year?

also, is there a spray that seals the roof? or just the caulk to fill in the cracks?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You need to clean and inspect the roof twice a year. I clean with a car wash Brush and Dawn dishsoap. Inspect the caulk and call it a day.
Same here, except that I use generic OxyClean. This is not that big of a deal to me to clean and inspect. I use an AC cover in the winter so I have to climb up there either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilly View Post
Are there any other ways to seal or apply some sort of coating to the roof so that one doesn't have to wash and caulk it twice a year?

also, is there a spray that seals the roof? or just the caulk to fill in the cracks?
Not really. No truly easy way out on this. Coatings are useless. The caulking will eventually dry out and crack no matter what you do. And it's not that hard of a job to recaulk. Use Dicor self leveling where you have to replace it, and use Eternabond for seams.

Because I keep up with this I caught one minor leak on our old trailer on a seam when it was about 7 years old. Fixed it with Eternabond and never had to touch it again.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #10

So for those who bought their trailers new, how long was it before the original caulking/lap sealant needed attention?