Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Hybrid end leak?

2013 X17A. Bought it last April and this was our first winter with it. I had it winterized and some other work down on it. Dealer closed it back up and folded the mattress covers into the mattresses and shut it all up.

Opened it the othe dray to find standing water on the tent material in the back and front. It was worse in the back. And, mildew spots all over the tent as well. A little mildew on the inside also.

Is it possible that the tent ends are not water tight even with the rubber seal around the edges? I never had issues last summer during rains and always folded it up dry.

Can condensation form inside and collect in that area? There is no moisture inside the trailer. (good news)

When I both it, the dealer had to replace the front tent material. (Fix #1). Then, the metal bar holding down one side of the tent material came loose and had to be reattached (fix#2). Now, it looks like in the process of doing that fix, they have pulled the tent away from the attaching screws in the opposite upper corner, leaving a big air gap (fix #3 now).

Any advice?

Come on Camping World! You can do better than this!

Jeff
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsundin View Post
2013 X17A. Bought it last April and this was our first winter with it. I had it winterized and some other work down on it. Dealer closed it back up and folded the mattress covers into the mattresses and shut it all up.

Opened it the othe dray to find standing water on the tent material in the back and front. It was worse in the back. And, mildew spots all over the tent as well. A little mildew on the inside also.
Then, the metal bar holding down one side of the tent material came loose and had to be reattached (fix#2). Now, it looks like in the process of doing that fix, they have pulled the tent away from the attaching screws in the opposite upper corner, leaving a big air gap (fix #3 now).

Any advice?

Come on Camping World! You can do better than this!

Jeff
He folded it up wet and I would bet on it!!!
Fix #2 is a common problem with many of us and I have added a few extra screws in this area to help correct this problem and sorry to say Jayco has been no help in solving this problem and basically know one has a fix for it. I don't loose sleep over it, I just deal with it and I just love my Hybrid and all the other types of trailers have their own kinds of problems.
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
He folded it up wet and I would bet on it!!!
X2! This is easy enough to test. Once you get it all cleaned up, close it up and spray it with a hose all around the bed seals. Then see what it looks like.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

One other easy possibility. I did it 2 years ago and the dealer did it that same fall, and it went in to winter storage this way (luckily indoors), but I drove home the following spring in heavy rain. Luckily I opened it up a few days to find a gallon of water captured in the tent, and no other issues.

When you close up the bunk ends it is really easy to capture a little of the skirting fabric along the top edge between the seal and the framework. When the fabric is caught in the seal along the top edge it is very difficult to notice it from the ground.

We had no issues last year at all with any leaks so, I am sure it was fabric in the seal. We are no extremely careful when closing up the bunk ends to make sure nothing is in the seals.

I would talk with the dealer about it. Of course you have no proof this is what happened.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #5

Me too, I bought a 2011 17z from a local dealer. It was outside, he brought it in and thawed it out. It was perfect. Bought it and went back outside for another 6 weeks till i could make room at home. My front bunk had ice and water in the fold. I think he closed a piece of tent in the seal. Some mold stain on the area where water sat. Trying to get it off. Wonder what everyone uses? Bought some stuff on amazon that was 5 stars and safe. Ill let you know.
jennso is offline   Reply With Quote