Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
Should you worry about the tent material cracking in the cold weather when you open or close the tent ends? I remember my Pop up had a warning on the tent materials that said don't open or close the pop up if it went below 40 degrees.
I've never seen a popup with a warning that high, 40 isn't really all that cold. The big thing to worry about in a popup would have been the vinyl windows and they can take more than that, easily below freezing. We used our popup in temps below 30 at night, never had a problem. About the only bad thing you'll have to deal with, is the material gets stiff and doesn't fold up as easily.

I wouldn't mess with getting the heated bed mats from Jayco, they are expensive and can't be folded or washed. We ordered ours from this site: http://cozywinters.com/shop/pf-shmpw.html
They do have some in special RV sizes, but we got the low voltage, waterproof ones instead.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #22

Amabee, Now that you mentioned the vinyl windows, that may have been the main concern with the warning label, and not the tent ends in the pop up.

The earliest I would go camping is mid April, so probably for me, an emergency blanket under the mattress, my little portable ceramic heater, a sleeping bag, and the furnace, and I will probably be fine.

For us, the $300 cost of the heated pads wouldn't make sense, but for folks who go more often in the cold weather it seems like a great idea.

I remember years ago we would go in early to mid April in a tent with nothing but the cots, sleeping bags, and a couple of comforters. I remember being warm when I was wrapped up in the bag, but stepping on the ice cold tent floor was never fun.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #23

You can always try it out, the heated pads can always be bought later if you decide you need them. I really could live w/out them, but my wife won't do the cold campouts w/out them. Both of my boys are in Scouts so we camp in tents in January!! BRRRR! It's not to bad until you get up and put on your frozen boots Wakes you up really fast.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #24

When camping in below freezing temperatures do you all due without water and toilet? If not, how do you keep things from freezing.
GoldMiner is offline   Reply With Quote