Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #1

In the middle of roof repair

Happy Holiday weekend-

Over the summer I discovered a “small” leak in the roof. I have removed the caulk and metal strip that joins the front cap and the EPDM.

Upon removal of this metal strip I discovered that the thin wood (maybe luan?) is wet.

We have some decently warm weather in the PNW the next 7-10 days.

Should I leave it open to dry a bit?

Would a commercial dehumidifier be beneficial?

I’m tossing around the idea of just reroofing the entire trailer for peace of mind. Has anyone done this?

Any and all help would sure be appreciated. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend 😀
Brave-N-Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #2

I would definitely dry the wood before covering it up, otherwise, MOLD in the ceiling. While it is open check with screwdriver for rot or decay and look for mold. Inside check for water that came through to the ceiling or wall and water damage. Smell for mold. Consider taking up the roof and replacing the fiberglass insulation and/or wood as needed. You could drill a hole and stick in a finger to see if the water got through and the ceiling insulation is wet or moldy.

If you are suspicious of inside moisture go for a dehumidifier and a fan. Don't expect much because much of the paneling and ceiling material is a plastic skin over a thin bit of plywood or pressed wood. It may not let the water out. In that small space a commercial dehumidifier would probably not make a difference.
On the whole roof replacement, why? Is the rubber roof bad or just the where it meets the edge or some bad roof job? If the roof is good, re-caulk and re-install the edging as needed.

Keep a tarp, ropes and bungees handy in case of unexpected rain. Watch out for dew overnight so you might as well tarp it at night in any case.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

I was thinking of redoing the roof as my trailer is a 2010 and is showing signs of wear. The black is showing through the white roofing material.
My other half is a contractor by trade and feels it might be a job he and I can handle. The cost of the materials would be a few hundred dollars, some of them I already have. That was the only reason I thought it might be a good option and allow me to get 6ish more years out of the trailer to last until I’m out of nursing school and can afford something different.
Brave-N-Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #4

When you say re-roofing, what exactly do you mean? I have a thread in my signature that will give you an idea on the amount of work involved.
It must be dry or you have wasted time working on it.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
I had spider cracks all over my fiberglass roof. Insurance paid for whole new metal roof. That's right metal.
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote