Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Intro - Another Newbie joining the hybrid ranks

Hello everyone,

Been lurking for a few weeks reading up on a bunch of the threads and it's time I guess to jump in and introduce myself. After several years of shopping, dreaming and planning we finally pulled the trigger on a trailer a few weeks ago that we'll pick up via RV Direct in 10 days. After renting a couple of different kinds and shopping extensively of every kind for awhile now - we settled on a hybrid - the Jayco X23J to be exact.

We spend a lot of time roaming the state of Arizona for extended weekends hiking and camping and pursuing astronomy away far from the city lights, so the trailer will be a huge upgrade from being on the hard desert ground in a tent. I do a lot of astrophotography which is best served by having the equipment remain in exactly the same spot for several days on end....the trailer will certainly help facilitate that.

Back in early 2010 when it was time for a new vehicle, we knew that an RV of some sort was in our future so I purchased a capable tow vehicle way back then - a GMC 3500HD. Our plan at the time was to go with a fifth wheel, but we couldn't find one that we really liked for camping with kids. Earlier this summer we rented a hybrid over July 4th weekend and everyone in the family loved the trailer. As soon as I came to the realization that I had gotten three different women (two of them teenagers) to agree on something - :hihi: - I knew that the hybrid was going to be the best choice for all of us.

I can't wait to get the trailer...and I guess you can expect that I'll be peppering the group with questions of my own in the coming days.
MikeWiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Awww, come on Mike, there`s nothing like sleeping on the ground for star gazing! Just kidding, now you can stargaze then go to bed in your new hybrid with heat and A/C! Welcome to JOF.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

My bride and I have done almost the exact same thing. We picked up our X23B last month. We visited Orlando to pick ours up. So far we love it. I've had a couple of minor issues and Jayco stepped up to the plate when I had an issue with the Jensen radio/DVD player. We were originally shopping for a PUP but after looking into the hybrid, were sold. We see ourselves dragging this one around for a few years and maybe upgrading to a 5er when I retire (5-ish years).
As Crabman says, "welcome". Start posting your questions as well as your discoveries. Since you've been lurking for a while I'm sure you already have a respect for the amount of knowledge on tap here.

We spent a few days last week in Durant, OK at a very nice KOA. It was a bit $$$ but very nice. Ours was the smallest TT there (except for a Casita), the grounds were populated with HUGE 5-ers and motorhomes. Going outside the first morning I felt like a jackrabbit that woke up in a buffalo herd.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #4

Mike You certainly won't have a problem towing with the 3500. Larry
Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum MikeWiles! You still have nice weather this time of the year. Where will you go for the maiden voyage? Congrats on the Hybrid
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #6

Thumbs up Maiden Voyage

Thanks for the warm welcome. Definitely no worries about towing with the 3500. We knew that a trailer or fifth wheel of some sort was on the horizon when it came time to buy a new truck so I bought the 3500 back then to ensure that there would be fewer limits on the trailer that could be towed.

The maiden voyage is scheduled over Thanksgiving and we've scouted out a great dry camping site on the KOFA National Wildlife Refuge. Very dark skies for photography and almost 700,000 acres occupied by very, very few people and lots and lots of great scenery and desert wildlife. Looking forward to it.

Mike
Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #7

Thumbs up Showing it off

Got it all back home and ready for a life of camping. The 3500HD did a fantastic job of towing, setting the cruise at 70. I had to drop down to 65 in a couple of places going over the Rockies but otherwise no issues. The Equalizer hitch has already paid for itself with the way it helped the handling in all of the wind on Saturday.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Nice looking rig!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #9

Nice....

Were waiting for our X23J to be delivered. It was supposed to be here a month ago but when my dealer looked at it he found a big crack in the side wall, so he refused delivery.

Cant wait!
InspiredBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum and hybrid world nice trailer!
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBMX View Post
Nice....

Were waiting for our X23J to be delivered. It was supposed to be here a month ago but when my dealer looked at it he found a big crack in the side wall, so he refused delivery.

Cant wait!
That's a dealer to do business with!
Hope the wait isn't too long.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote