Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

Issues with Floor in Jayco 23exp

we just bought a 2008 used jayco jayfeather 23b hybrid. Dealer stated no soft floors or water damage and to be honest even with looking over the unit pretty carefully we couldn't see any signs of water damage or soft floors. EXCEPT AFTER we got it home, under the u-shaped dinette (where of course we didn't stand) there is a soft spot that extends under the storage bench and to the front door. I'm not sure if this was or wasn't water damage, without pulling up the floor itself. I've read that the hybrid models have cheap luan/foam sandwich board as a floor base and I'm wondering if that could be the problem or part of the problem.

I also read that some folks with this issue in the hybrids will throw plywood down over the floor for stability and then put vinyl or carpet over that as a fix to keep you going for a few years.

We don't intend to keep this trailer forever (bought it used to get our feet wet before jumping in and buying a newer more expensive model), so without doing major reconstruction on the floor to the tune of thousands of dollars, anyone have any advice ideas on how we should handle this?

The one spot near the dinette feels like I might put my whole foot through it if I put my whole weight on it!
McCrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #2

This issue has been discussed many times, if you do a search you will find it all. Yes your TT has the sandwich floor which is used to save weight, but its a bad design that does not hold up, its not from water damage. Jayco did repairs to some TT when under original owner warranty, some ended up with soft spots after the repair. If you really want some good reading on the issue go to Google and input "Jayco RV sandwich floor soft spots" you will have hours of reading.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

so the soft floor would be in high traffic areas? like by the front door?
McCrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrabby View Post
so the soft floor would be in high traffic areas? like by the front door?
Usually the soft spots start in high traffic areas as the floor material becomes fatigued and is poorly supported underneath. This was down to keep down weights, but sometimes a little more weight is not such a bad thing.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

If you do have floor fatigue and not water damage as I had. I floated a hardwood floor in some areas of my older 5r. I would use bamboo 5/16 or 1/2 thick unless you have a slider issue. but then they do have runner slide protectors too.
Attached Thumbnails
0523141210.jpg   0522141316a.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Usually the soft spots start in high traffic areas as the floor material becomes fatigued and is poorly supported underneath.
X2

My approach would be to install a few extra supports from underneath the fatigued area. This has already been done by a few members on this fourm.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
X2

My approach would be to install a few extra supports from underneath the fatigued area. This has already been done by a few members on this fourm.
You can support it all you want underneath but the damage has been done. This type of sandwich floor is just a bad design waiting for failure to happen, not if but when. Since it can't be supported properly even when new the floor flexes and delaminates, this causes the foam to break down in traffic areas. Foam is not designed to be walked on, it is very rigid and will fracture and compress under pressure. When I was looking at new TT I stayed away from anything with a sandwich floor, Jayco has been building this type floor to save weight for over ten years and have many unhappy customers due to this problem.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, hybrid, jayco, plywood, soft