Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #1

It seems older is better ?

Is it me or are All New campers the same... chrome look, plastic and just cheap looking with no character. My 2004 Jayco 23b.. Just looks great ! It has appeal and wood cabinets and some colors and lots of space. Yes it is manual but I have no issues like everyone else due to its simplicity. But i Know the time is coming maybe after 1 more year.. where I will be faced with the decision to move on. Even my dealer service manager tells me that he sees nothing but problems with the New campers. It is sad....Does anyone else feel this way ? Is there one brand I can feel confident with. I have neighbors who own several different brands and ALL have had some issue some that are just down right scary... What to do...
geostorm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geostorm1 View Post
Is it me or are All New campers the same... chrome look, plastic and just cheap looking with no character. My 2004 Jayco 23b.. Just looks great ! It has appeal and wood cabinets and some colors and lots of space. Yes it is manual but I have no issues like everyone else due to its simplicity. But i Know the time is coming maybe after 1 more year.. where I will be faced with the decision to move on. Even my dealer service manager tells me that he sees nothing but problems with the New campers. It is sad....Does anyone else feel this way ? Is there one brand I can feel confident with. I have neighbors who own several different brands and ALL have had some issue some that are just down right scary... What to do...
Why “upgrade”? You seem quite happy with what you have, and by now you know it well. Personnally, I would save my money.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #3

I agree. All my older rigs were WAY better built. Leland box tube frames, hung walls, insane carrying capacities, no need for expansion joints under fifth wheel bedroom slides etc. Never had an issue at all. I’ve actually debated just buying an old rig and customizing to my liking. The only way you can get a decent rig now is spend 6 figures, but few of us have that disposable income.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #4

I’m super happy with my 2010 and I also have real wood.
Attached Thumbnails
EF09751E-0186-4534-8B6F-8F2039CB3669.jpg  
Old 11-06-2019, 11:47 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I'm not sure i'd agree with you, especially when it comes to the 23B. Don't get me wrong, the 23B is a terrific floor plan, been around since day 1 of the Kiwi, and has not changed a bit since..... tons of storage, lots of nice floor space when opened. What Jayco has done is made some nice subtle changes to keep it fresh. The new one (2019) has a terrific exterior paint scheme..... looks good at any angle, opened or closed. Somewhere down the line, they got rid of the flat roof in the back and domed it ..... getting rid of all those water leak issues because owners were not up there checking the dried up, cracked caulking, also giving it a fresher modern look. Inside, the 2020 gives you the Modern Farmhouse Option, with the light colored wood..... i like it, but some might. If you like your 2004, then hang on to it, just keep it maintained, keep those bunk ends closed up when not in use ..... they really are great trailers, always has been my favorite hybrid!

Now, you peaked my curiosity... tell me you actually own a Geo Storm!
Old 11-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

There's lots of trailers that have wood inside. That said we love our 2013 X20E as much if not more than we did our 2003 Kiwi 17a. They are built about the same quality. Pretty solid with some minor fit and finish issues when purchased new.

As said, why not keep what you have? What is motivating you to think you want something else in a year?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #7

I think the main thing that is better about older is the initial quality issue. You have probably forgotten how many IQ issues you had. My '08 had quite a few and was back to the dealer about 3 times in the first year. My '11 (bought used) has never been back to the dealer, but does have regular maintenance.

I think new trailers have always needed to get dialed in a bit. Once you get over the IQ issues, the longevity is probably about the same now as it was then. In the HTT arena, I would rather have a slightly newer one as well; I do worry about my flat roof and all the stories I read about leaks and sinking AC units. Also in the HTT arena, I don't think there is any difference in "glitzy" features. The biggest addition to the X19H since my year is probably the power tongue jack; also a feature I wouldn't mind having - but an easy upgrade when I get a round tuit.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

No no I do not but great answer ! 2018 F150 and a 2013 Chevy cruze. The Geostorm is a Wife thing she gave me ...I bought mine used 3 years ago this winter. I think I an getting a bit antsy maybe. My wife in the end would not let me sell it unless we were ready for an upgrade she is not there yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
I'm not sure i'd agree with you, especially when it comes to the 23B. Don't get me wrong, the 23B is a terrific floor plan, been around since day 1 of the Kiwi, and has not changed a bit since..... tons of storage, lots of nice floor space when opened. What Jayco has done is made some nice subtle changes to keep it fresh. The new one (2019) has a terrific exterior paint scheme..... looks good at any angle, opened or closed. Somewhere down the line, they got rid of the flat roof in the back and domed it ..... getting rid of all those water leak issues because owners were not up there checking the dried up, cracked caulking, also giving it a fresher modern look. Inside, the 2020 gives you the Modern Farmhouse Option, with the light colored wood..... i like it, but some might. If you like your 2004, then hang on to it, just keep it maintained, keep those bunk ends closed up when not in use ..... they really are great trailers, always has been my favorite hybrid!

Now, you peaked my curiosity... tell me you actually own a Geo Storm!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #9

I really like our 08 Eagle Lite.
Attached Images

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #10

Sorry, images didn't attach

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #11

From an engineering and structural point, the modern stuff is junk to me, including mine. Why do you think I have a thread on constant upgrades. On the earlier ones, all I had to do was decorate and add a few touches. On the last few I have to cut, weld, build, add, modify etc just to get it close to the older RV’s we’ve owned. Just my experience. I’ve owned 8 rigs, all classes, but I still respect all members opinions. Whatever works for each individual or family. That’s what matters.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I’m super happy with my 2010 and I also have real wood.
Yes, real wood and not something covered with some kind of vinyl wrap or something. My '12 Eagle has solid poplar doors and solid maple cabinets. I've been pondering trading in my trailer for a 5th wheel but I just can't do it especially with what's on the market today that I can tow with my gas F-250. Although this one has caught my eye and well within the specs of my truck.

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/duran...s/D301RLT.html
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #13

I'll add my thought. I had a 2004 starcraft hybrid prior to our 2018 x17z and felt it was just built better.
I mostly notice it on fit and finish, didnt seem as rushed and parts that are today plastic were metal then. Never had leak issues on the bunks,trim never failed and everything was more solid.
I love our new one too but I could certainly tell the difference.
I take it as a sign of the times for campers and most things. Everything is rushed and skimped but still ask the same $$..like all business models I guess..all about the $$ less about the quality.
Tony_Kuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #14

Agree ! It is noticeable everywhere. When we are ready I will talking to my service manager for his advice.
Thanks for all the replies... Happy hibernation
Old 11-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #15

My husband and I were shopping for an upgrade to our 17' Clipper TT and decided we wanted a Class C. We looked at new units, assuming we would get all the latest tech, but quickly found the finishes to be cheap, cheesy and not something we wanted to spend our "happy time" trying to protect and take care of. We ended up with a 2008 Melbourne 31B and just love the interior because of the floorplan and beautiful finishes. I am recovering the cushions this winter to keep it looking fresh, but everything else looks as new as the day it came off the line. Now if we could figure out how to revitalize the exterior finish, that would be awesome!
Louise & Charly Finn
Casey - 5 mo Cavachon
2008 Melbourne 31B
2014 Clipper 17 TT
Lewes, DE
LAFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #16

Love my older Jayco

Quote:
I have a 2004 Jayco Greyhawk 28, it is great condition, wood cabinets,lots of storage space, No slides to stick up and create problems. A co worker bought a new class A and has been in the shop 3 times already SMH.
whackynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #17

So far everyone is talking about new trailers. None cited were "old".

Our first trailer was a 1964. I guess you could say it was ugly because it didn't have any amenities or shiny plastic. But, it WAS real wood thru-out.

Guess what - It's still serviceable. The appliances all still work, the windows are fine and its still snug as a bug in a rug in the winter.

Last year a 40 year old tree fell on her during a bad Winter storm and all it did was make a small dent.

We only moved up to have more room. The old girl is now our guesthouse.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #18

Quote:
I feel the same way about new motor homes, they look all plastic. We love our 2005 Jayco 30 foot greyhawk. Plus I don't mind making up grades that we want . Don't like some thing, move it or replace it.

1SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote

« Grab handle | Slide »