Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Question Jay Feather X23B Outside Stove Question

Does anyone know if you can buy a propane stove that is made to fit on the outside of the trailer just like the grill that comes with it? I would love to have both options outside because we prefer to do all of our cooking outside. We used to have a Jayco pop-up and loved that we could take the stove top outside and connect it to our propane while attached to the trailer.
Beccacav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

I have a 2005 Jayfeather hybrid that has the bracket/mount on the outside of the camper and the propane line underneath. We bought it used in 2010 and it did not have the stove and I have never used on to confirm what model would work. Following this thread in hopes that we both can get some guidance. I will try to pull all of my documents to see if there is any reference.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

I asked the same question after buying a used 2011 x23b. Haven't had any luck finding one yet. Now I'm wishing I had kept the stove from the pop up. I'm currently using my old coleman camp stove for cooking outside, but it can't be connected to the trailer's propane. I'm planning on upgrading to the two burner Camp Chef because I like the idea of being able to turn the stove into a griddle, grill, or both. The wife and kids like the pizza oven accessory.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #4

I would think a used stove from a Jayco popup would work. I had a 2001 Jayco Qwest popup with stove and RVQ grill. Both worked outside with the rail and propane connection. I kept the RVQ when I got my x17z so I am sure the stove would work also. I would check eBay or Craigslist.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #5

We had the same question for our x23B and ended up getting a coleman roadtrip and a low pressure adapter from amazon. The side mounted grills seemed too expensive for what you are getting. Just our personal experience.
eodcoduto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #6

Jay Feather X23B Outside Stove Question

Hello, As a 23b owner the wife and I wanted both the RVQ grill and an outside stove. So I got creative:
-I added another length of rail same as the factory mounted grill rail (now twice as long)
-Obtained a second RVQ grill support frame to be hung on the new rail
-Bought a "Torjik" 1/4" propane gas splitter. This is a 1/4" male quick disconnect (QD) male that matches the camper's propane QD female feed and splits into two female QD outlets.
-Bought a MB Sturgis QD extention hose.
-Bought an Ozark Trail 2-Burner Camp Stove from Walmart.
Mount the rail, hang the second RVQ frame, use the Torjik splitter to provide two low pressure propane sources, cut the pressure regulator off of the camp stove metal gas feed tube (the regulator that would be used with the green mini propane bottles) and cut the quick disconnect female end off of the extension hose. Slip the cut end of the hose over the cut end of the metal propane feed tube (regulator now cut off) and use two hose clamps to seal. Now both the RVQ grill and the Ozark camp stove may be simultaneously connected to the camper's low pressure propane supply. Both may be mounted and used side-by-side outside for full exterior cooking.
The great part is that the RVQ support frames are support braced on the outside of the main frame. This allows both of the frames to be nested opposite of each other in the same Vitco RVQ grill bag. No additional space used to store the additional frame! Zip the extra gas feed hose and splitter in the bag and it all packs as clean and simple as just the grill alone. The Ozark camp stove has the wire table top legs that wrap around the RVQ frame and produces a stable cook surface. The material list was:
-https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-Sturgis/100395-120-MBS.html
-http://propanegear.com/propane-quick-connect-y-adapter-rv-fitting/
-https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-2-Burner-Camp-Stove/54500726
-https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/Camco/CAM57268.html
an additional RVQ grill frame support and two small hose clamps.
This greatly pleased the wife and now all the camp cooking is done outside the camper. Will take and post pictures next time we camp and rig the system up.
Bert
Neandertalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #7

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess we will have to look into buying another camp stove for outside. It seems silly that Jayco doesn't make a stove top option for outside.
Beccacav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

So I have been keeping an eye out for “RV Stoves, Camper stoves, grills, etc” on craigslist just out of curiosity. One posted today for a grill that had been used 5 times. Had to be picked up today because they are moving across the country tonight.

They wanted $50 for it so my brother went over and picked it up. Should work for my camper. Came with the stove, mount, and propane quick connect. Once I have my hands on it I will update you on condition and model.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #9

Camp Kitchen Photos

Hello all,
Promised to provide photos of my camp kitchen design. This is the package as per my detailed description offered in an earlier post in this thread. The total kitchen zips into the single "Vitco" bag provided for the RVQ grill. Although the stove will also zip into the bag I leave it out because the carrier bag with stove is too tall to slip in the camper's side storage door. Photos show the full kitchen, the "packaged" kitchen, added support rail on the camper wall, the Torjik split gas lines, connected gas lines and the two support rails nested in the one Vitco bag.
Total kitchen package is:

-RVQ grill
-Two RVQ support rails
-Two gas lines with "Torjik" "Y" adapter
-Coleman griddle (optional use on the stove)
-Ozark camp stove

Add the aluminum folding table that we bungee cord to the camper wheels (you can see in photo) and we have a full outdoor kitchen that we can leave out in rain and wind. This kitchen is extremely convenient and packs down to no more than the originally supplied RVQ grill. Made the wife VERY happy and we all know the value of that benefit.
Thanks,
Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Kitchen.jpg   Packaged Kitchen.jpg   Additional Rail.jpg   Propane Splitter.jpg   Gas Lines Connected.jpg  

Ready For Operation.jpg   Frames Nested In Bag.jpg  
Old 12-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #10

Unless you enjoy boon docking or camping without electricity you may want to consider using an induction cooktop. They retail for $50.00 to $100.00 generate 1800 watts and the electricity come free with campsite.
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #11

Neandetalman, where did you get the second support rail? Thanks
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #12

Hello jerdog,
I bought a second RVQ grill off of E-bay. Needed the support rail for my project and a "new" flame spreader for my old RVQ grill. Bought a damaged grill with all components and obtained the additional parts I was needing.
Bert