Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

Jayco 17 C New to Me: Roof Leak :(

Okay guys and gals, I just went into my camper just to check on things. Unfortunately for the time being, we have to store outside and don't have a cover yet. Anyway. I went in today after several days of high winds and rain and there was water on the floor below the a/c and in front of the furnace and fridge. The water was splashed onto the wall and onto the furnace and cabinet below fridge so I'm assuming it came from the a/c area. I took the cover off of the a/c and it didn't seem wet, however I don't know where else it would have come from! I resealed everything on the roof where it appeared to be needed a few weeks ago. It has rained and never been wet inside until now. I had taken the roof cover off of the a/c when cleaning and resealing the roof, but I didn't see any issues around there at that time and reinstalled the cover. My question is this: is there something that I need to check inside of the a/c on the roof??? I didn't see any sealant around the a/c so I'm assuming it must be some type of compression gasket underneath??? Could this be damaged or maybe just the high winds forcing water in somehow??? Do I need to remove a/c from roof or is there something I need to look for before this???? I just don't know. SO, any help would be GREATLY appreciated! As always, thanks in advance!!!!

Additionally - when I first purchased the camper, I cleaned and resealed everything. I covered the thing in water and it's rained multiple times since and no water until the last few days...not sure if that matters but just thought I would throw that in there....anyway, thanks for any help you can give!
mck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #2

Have you checked the AC seal? There are four finger bolts inside, under the plastic cover on the metalframe, just snug them up. If they are over tightened, next time it leaks you will have to replace the seal.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

JaGiven - are you referring to the spring loaded bolts??? Also, I'm assuming there is a compression seal...is there any other sealant or just that compression seal???
Old 05-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #4

Take off the whole plastic register. There are 4 long bolts, around 4" that need to be tightened. It basically sandwiches the AC unit between the roof and a metal mounting plate.
SICARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mck23 View Post
JaGiven - are you referring to the spring loaded bolts??? Also, I'm assuming there is a compression seal...is there any other sealant or just that compression seal???
Just the compression seal that compresses that foam gasket between AC and roof.
That's probably it, they loosen with vibration. Check twice a year.
Watch it over time. If still leaks, not a big job to lift AC, set it aside and replace gasket. Better with 2 people.
Gasket is about $12 if I recall.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Just the compression seal that compresses that foam gasket between AC and roof.
That's probably it, they loosen with vibration. Check twice a year.
Watch it over time. If still leaks, not a big job to lift AC, set it aside and replace gasket. Better with 2 people.
Gasket is about $12 if I recall.

Doug
X2,, the gasket is only a compression seal of what looks like a cheap piece of foam, but it works. There are a few different sizes, but here is an example seal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E...AAL&ref=plSrch

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #7

The life of that gasket is 5-6 years and must be changed, it's an easy DIY job and give yourself about 1-1/2 hours start to finish. The kit contains a square approx 15x15" and a few other pieces that are used to support the weight of the other half of the unit. When you tighten down the 4 bolts just snug them down lightly DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #8

SICARIO, Doug, JaGiven and Tunce - Thanks so much for the help. I tightened up those screws a little bit. I was afraid to go too crazy and over tighten them, so I hope that helps!!! In the meantime, I ordered a new gasket just in case. But, I think I will just kinda wait and see what happens after the tightening. THANKS AGAIN!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #9

BTW, Tunce, thanks for the pics too! That helps to see what I'm working with!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

How to easily do it as a one person job is when you remove the outside cover take painters tape and outline the unit before you lift it off and turn it on its side to remove the old and install the new gasket. The holes will line up perfectly when you go inside to replace the 4 corner bolts.