Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

jayco 20Xe

Hi everyone : currently own a 19H and am thinking of going to a X20E to gain the floor space with the slide.Anyone out there with a X20E have any thoughts on how they like there's that you could share ? Also I'm noticing that the fresh water fill is on the door side of the unit and most camp grounds I frequent here in Canada the fill hose is piped from the ground on the slide side on approach to the fill station ,how have you dealt with this ? WITH THANKS
Alex19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

I love my X20E. The slide adds weight, but makes a HUGE difference when there are 4+ people trying to get around. If I were to buy a new hybrid, I would buy the same floorplan.
My fresh water hose is 25' long so I haven't had any problems running the hose around or under as the case may require. The campgrounds here is AZ typically have fresh water spigots by each outhouse as well as by the RV dump site. I can usually find one of those on the door side of the trailer on the way to my site.

-David
DavidAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

Not much to add to DavidAUM. We love our X20E, the slide makes all the difference for room and comfort. I'm also a big fella so the extra wiggle room is huge. I can't even think about another Hybrid that doesn't have the slide. As for Water, I carry enough hose with me to get to any spigot, and if I come up short, I ask neighboring campers if I can borrow a length from them. As you likley know being from TO, most Provincial campgrounds around here have narrow roads in/out of the sites so to stop to fill at a spigot means you block the road. I have zero desire to fill FW from the Spigot located about 20 ft from the Dump station. It's just not right in my mind to do that. You won't regret a Slide. Oh ya, Leafs suck :-) LOL
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Thankyou for the replies.I guess just having a hose extension makes sense and is simple enough. I guess I'll start my search for a X20e and see what I can find. Oh Ya and Dagwood - the Leafs do suck !!!!!!!!! Too sad to LOL
Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

We now carry two 20 foot hoses, 90 degree elbow.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

Another happy X20E owner here! And yes the slide makes a world of difference. It only goes out about a foot, but makes the interior very roomy.

The water tank fill on the wrong side is something we were already used to. Our previous hybrid, an '03 Jayco Kiwi 17a also had it on the wrong side. I just connect my hose to the filler hose.

One thing we didn't like about the X20E is the lack of any drawers. I did a mod that took of that issue.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ect-21938.html

So we just finsished our 3rd season with the X20E and we couldn't be happier. Sadly the X20E is no longer offered by Jayco for 2016.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

This is supposed to be "quick reply" but...
This is what I posted a few months ago when several members were talking about the x20e: I like that it can sleep 8 but is not palatial if I'm on my own; overhead lights get very hot; there is an electrical outlet near the rear tent but, for people in the front tent, they have to use an outlet that is near the bottom of a dining area wall; there are no overhead lights near the front tent; always have your trailer keys with you as my wife's been locked out twice and we still aren't sure how that happened; the bathroom mirror is placed too high; the front tent mattress when stored juts into the living area; the gray and black tank gauges have not registered correctly but the tanks might just need a good cleaning; we put 3M Command removable hooks on the wall to the left of the entry way for keys, dog leashes, flashlights, etc. and it has come in very handy; opening both tents creates great ventilation; unfortunately, there's very little counter space so we store dirty dishes in the oven until washed at the end of the day (don't forget reminder signs on oven knobs); the dining table is heavy and bulky but can be taken outdoors for use although we leave it at home and bring along a few tv trays and a table much easier to handle; I'm 6'1" and have to stretch to get keys in the locks for the front tent so bring a portable step stool if needed; the rear tent is perfect for those who want more privacy; there's not much room to work on the water heater or fiddle with bypass pipes but that might be the case with all similar RVs; the cap to the fresh water tank inlet is not lockable, inviting mischief; the exterior door to the water heater innards is kept closed with a flimsy metal tab; the air conditioner and water pump are very noisy -- small, portable fans work well and are quieter; windows are well placed for ventilation but some require Herculean muscle to open and close; the manual awning can be handled by one person but really needs 2; the awning needs a protective cover when rolled up because it gets soaked when retracted and needs to air out after every rain; the exterior door swings open fast so hold onto it; there's a lot of plastic that feels "cheap," including the locking piece on the door to the sewer hose storage area, but helps keep mpg up; you might want to remove the divider separating the front passenger-side storage area from the under-seat storage area to the immediate right of the entry door to allow for better storage efficiency; the former owner recommended memory foam mattress pads, and they are more comfortable; the microwave and stereo lose their clock settings when electricity is disconnected so we bring along battery clocks; we use an electric kettle to heat water for washing dishes, making coffee, boiled corn, etc. and then don't have to use the water heater; we have a knock-off version of the "Ninja" cooking system to avoid propane use; that cooking system has been used indoors but with the outdoor electrical outlets we can use it outside also; the former owner added a folding stove top covering but we added cutting boards with rubber feet on top of that for better use; put bubble wrap around the microwave plate to protect it in transit; the microwave is placed almost dangerously high for anyone shorter than 6' because of lifting out hot food/liquid; someone has posted that they're putting shelves in the closet space they have; several cabinets are at ground level and are difficult to put/take things in/out.

Whew!

However, we knew most of these things when we bought, so we adjust. We do enjoy the trailer. Good luck with yours.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #8

We love our x20e. We got ours in April and have been out 35 nights so far this year. Beach, state parks, mountains, and even weekend tailgating for college football. We've experienced everything from full hookups to dry camping and beautiful sunny days to windy rainy days. We have definitely put it through its paces and we have not regretted our choice one time. I agree with all of the above. Fits us well whether it's just the wife and me or both kids with friends.
2014 Jayfeather X20e
Bikryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
windows are well placed for ventilation but some require Herculean muscle to open and close
Our window behind the couch is a bitch to open/close. I've tried soap in the tracks to make it slide easier to no avail. If any folks have a thought on this, I'd love to hear them. I'd use WD40 but that would just make a mess I think. It's almost like the window itself is too heavy for a slide/track system.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #10

On our previous trailer I sprayed silicon in the window tracks. Tried that on the X20E and it helped a little, but yea, the window on the slide has always been hard, even after 3 seasons.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
On our previous trailer I sprayed silicon in the window tracks. Tried that on the X20E and it helped a little, but yea, the window on the slide has always been hard, even after 3 seasons.
Thanks Doc, I'll try that. My wife is really annoyed with it. Me, I could care less, LOL

Old 11-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #12

Once again everyone thanks for all the comments, seems we all have some common concerns and or issues but you seem to like your X20 E 's so I'll keep looking.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #13

Does anyone wish they had a larger awning on the x20e? We like this model but it's a concern along with the lack of counter space. It seems like a 12' awning would fit on the camper. We currently have a popup (Fleetwood Utah). Thanks!
RFryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFryer View Post
Does anyone wish they had a larger awning on the x20e? We like this model but it's a concern along with the lack of counter space. It seems like a 12' awning would fit on the camper. We currently have a popup (Fleetwood Utah). Thanks!
For sure I'd like a wider Awning, at least enough to cover the Gas Stove that hangs off the side. Not sure why they wouldn't have made that an option, Oh well, I still love the X20E, I just don't use the gas side stove to cook in the rain

Old 07-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #15

Our x20e awning is about 10 feet wide. I'm guessing it wasn't extended to cover the grill attachment area because of safety/aesthetic concerns of having the material over a heat source. It can't be extended toward the front because there is no place to anchor it. We usually have 2 of us camping, so the space cooled by the awning is just fine for us. I can understand how it wouldn't be sufficient for a larger group. However, it appears that to make the awning wider would mean making the trailer longer.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #16

It sounds like it could be extended to the rear though by 1-2' then though it may not be ideal with the grill under it, correct? I'm only familiar with bag awnings on popups so maybe that's not easily done. We were looking at a unit that doesn't include an awning so it would be a convenient time to install a larger one. We would use a separate camp kitchen anyways that could be moved if needed for the grill/stove.
RFryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #17

Width of the awning was a small concern when we bought it but we've found that it's really not a big deal after all.

Regarding lack of counter space, we cook outside and/or use the microwave to cook. So we bought one of these: Stove Top Cutting Board. It works great for our needs.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #18

Maybe this photo will help to visualize what I'm talking about. You can see the place for the grill near the lower left (there's a horizontal bar that the grill attaches to. You can see the support arms for the awning. If the awning were extended to the left a few feet, it would be over the grill. If the grill were lit, its heat and fumes might damage the underside of the awning. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer-awning.jpg  
Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFryer View Post
It sounds like it could be extended to the rear though by 1-2' then though it may not be ideal with the grill under it, correct? I'm only familiar with bag awnings on popups so maybe that's not easily done. We were looking at a unit that doesn't include an awning so it would be a convenient time to install a larger one. We would use a separate camp kitchen anyways that could be moved if needed for the grill/stove.
I had my dealership exchange the grill for the two Burner gas stove that hangs off the side instead. I would never want a BBQ that could flame up that close to the trailer. I have a separate BBQ that sits on the Picnic Tables when Camping. Much safer

Old 08-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to SMORFUN
We purchased a nearly brand new used 20xe - it was only used for one overnite trip by the original owner. While we love the floor plan, here are some things we've experienced over three seasons of use. The plywood used on the bench seats was way too thin, and had many cut seams causing them to bend in when sitting on or stepping over to get onto the bed end. Had to remake all of them with 1-layer thicker plywood (no seams!!!) and insert metal center supports underneath each. The cleats the table rests on while traveling were not wide enough, causing instability - remade those 50% thicker. Slide out motor and electric element in water heater both gave out after 2 seasons - $750 repairs. The floor is also thin - bends in when you stand on it. Plastic wheel fenders had screws that vibrated through the holes completely on the highway- nearly lost them both in New York - had to rework those with larger screws washers and epoxy. Again, love the floor plan but disappointed in overall quality and longevity for price I paid.
SMORFUN is offline   Reply With Quote