Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #1

Jayco Has Discontinued Producing Hybrids

I've had a nationwide saved search on RV Trader for two years now for a 2016-2017 x19h as we have been seriously considering replacing our aging Kiwi 18F. The selling prices had been very consistent between 12K and 15K up until a few months ago, when I started seeing them creep up to as much as 22.5K!

Out of frustration, I contacted our local dealer and was quoted 21.8K for a brand new 2021 model. However, that model has now sold, they have no more in inventory, and I was informed that Jayco will not be delivering any more 2021 hybrids, and will no longer be producing hybrids for 2022 and beyond.

Seems crazy to me that they would just abandon this line! I know I'm prolly preaching to the choir here since this is the hybrid sub-forum, but for our family (my wife and I grew up tent camping and loved it), the hybrid style is the best of both worlds! You get somewhat of the feeling of tent camping, with the benefits of a travel trailer.
DigitalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:09 PM   #2

That’s too bad. I love my 2018 16XRB. In a couple years when I’m ready to upgrade, I’m sure to get top dollar for this popular hybrid.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFusion View Post
Seems crazy to me that they would just abandon this line! I know I'm prolly preaching to the choir here since this is the hybrid sub-forum, but for our family (my wife and I grew up tent camping and loved it), the hybrid style is the best of both worlds! You get somewhat of the feeling of tent camping, with the benefits of a travel trailer.
They usually drop products based on feedback from their dealers. Probably not enough volume to keep producing them. Same thing happened with the pop-up.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #4

All of the "X" models on their website, except the X213 hard side rear slide out, says Dealer Stock Only. That is a sign if being disconnected.

To bad, we love our 23B. Small to haul, huge while camping.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #5

The nerd's video talked about discontinuation of low volume models to concentrate on the $14 billion on backorder units. They feel time is wasted setting up the line for low volume runs. Fewer man hours spent procuring/tracking specialty parts for said units. They may or may not revisit these decisions if they ever get caught up.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

We also had a Kiwi back in the day and now camp with a JayFlight. I hate to see the hybrids go away along with the popups. However, I trust that Thor knows what their doing and have to follow what the customers of the industry are calling for. Most companies have to change with the times to stay alive and I'm sure Jayco is no exception.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:58 AM   #7

That’s a shame! We love our expandable Jayco. We have pulled our Jayco from Pa. to Calf. And all over out west. Never leaked. Went through sone dust storms in Texas. We are replacing out trailer in 2023. Might no be a Jayco.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #8

I hope it's just a temporary break. But seems like they'll lose a lot of business to the Rockwood Roo line. Too bad, my X23B strike the perfect balance of weight, size, and cost.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #9

Sounds like that it'll be down to the roo's and a few off brands still making them, except for Palomino. We were very seriously looking for a Solaire 163X before picking up our x19h. They are about the same price, but the fit, finish, and features seemed better... there just isn't much out there for sale right now that isn't getting scooped up immediately.

Speaking off, it seems like there is a lot of newbies out there. We exclusively dry camp at state and national forests, and even the primitiveness (is that a word?) of those doesn't seem to be driving away morons who think camping involves radios at max volume, gensets running all night, or even firing up a chainsaw to cut down a tree for firewood!

Retired: 2009 GMC Sierra Crewcab & 2003 Kiwi 18F

Old 07-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #10

I agree with you. We have loved our 2008 19H Jayfeather. The Queen tent beds on each end make for a roomy camper. We will be selling it though. As 60 somethings we want easier set up (power jacks etc.) and better sleeping in hard rains. First we have to find a twin bed TT we can pull with a large SUV.
Outdoorswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #11

I hear ya. Although the newer hybrids are much easier to setup with the aircraft cabling, attached tents, lowered bunk release handles (2017+), and a cordless driver with a socket attached makes putting the stabilizers down a breeze, there is something to be said for being able to back in, push a few buttons, and be done.

For us personally, it just doesn't feel like camping without the tent-ends.

Retired: 2009 GMC Sierra Crewcab & 2003 Kiwi 18F

Old 07-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
That’s too bad. I love my 2018 16XRB. In a couple years when I’m ready to upgrade, I’m sure to get top dollar for this popular hybrid.
Along with the camping sentiments of DigitalFusioon, we love our 2017 16XRB as well. It has been well-modified, repaired and cared for over the past five years and 43,801 miles. We're in our 70's and won't be getting another RV, just a new set of Endurance tires next week.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFusion View Post
I hear ya. Although the newer hybrids are much easier to setup with the aircraft cabling, attached tents, lowered bunk release handles (2017+), and a cordless driver with a socket attached makes putting the stabilizers down a breeze, there is something to be said for being able to back in, push a few buttons, and be done.

For us personally, it just doesn't feel like camping without the tent-ends.
X2 Love the fresh air, the huge amount of ventilation, the sounds of nature, the smell of rain. It's like a big tent but with a kitchen and bathroom. : ) DW and I have our specific duties and set up in about 10 minutes, longer to take down, but no big deal and little to go wrong.

Well, the nature thing and the tent... had to take the tent up at 5:30A in the rain and huge sheer force winds that popped up in Mitchell SD a month or so back and we had to take in the tent while 2.5" hail destroyed our glass and totaled our trailer and car in Ogallala NE a few years back. But I've never seen a trailer I'd rather have, it's just part of camping. We repaired the trailer better than it was and the locals around Fort Collins who see our Tahoe just nonchalantly ask, "Where'd ya pick up the hail?"
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
X2 Love the fresh air, the huge amount of ventilation, the sounds of nature, the smell of rain. It's like a big tent but with a kitchen and bathroom. : ) DW and I have our specific duties and set up in about 10 minutes, longer to take down, but no big deal and little to go wrong.
X3 and I really like driving a 21’ trailer with 2 bedrooms and a great room.
Have 2 Lexan ( 1 in each end) removable panels to keep the heat in when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
112C620A-70E1-4D62-A8AD-B105F53BBA31.jpg   15F86745-6E0A-4AF8-8903-63FCEE9C1174.jpg  
Old 07-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #15

What a Shame!!! I hope it’s not true, my first camper was the X17Z that we outgrew when 3 kids came along. My plan has always been to go back to a hybrid some day.
dopplemeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #16

This reminds me of a thread I have been following on one of the boat forums. The OP was lamenting the fact that no boat builders make Cuddy Cabin boats any more. It is obvious that the Millennials (the ones that are spending the most $ on boats) are day boaters only. They want big bowriders and don't care about sleeping accommodations.

I wonder if this translates to trailers as well.

We were tent campers in the old days, and then popups when the kids were small, and now we bought the campground and don't have to travel any more. Since we Winter camp as well, a hybrid would not work for us.

Life is all about supply and demand. When there is no (or reduced) demand, businesses have to adapt. They are in it to make money.

Maybe a tented RV has gone the way of a cuddly cabin boat.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:05 PM   #17

Giving mine a spa day: oxidation remover, high gloss polish and then pure wax. It’s like the Swiss Army knife of trailers. You can deploy the tents and hear the surf. Or, you can turtle.

We just added a WeBoost cell signal booster and will be enjoying it for many more years.
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #18

Just a guess on my part, but with Jayco abandoning the pop up and tent end hybrids, I have a theory. I believe Jayco was having what Thor considered an excessively high number of complaints under warranty with the canvas parts of the campers. I know personally, my X23B was in the shop twice for issue with the J channel which attached the canvas to the opening splitting in the corners. I had an appointment to take it in again for warranty service after our trip to South Dakota last summer and I was going to insist they replace the canvas on both ends. However, we traded it in on a new Cougar at the end of the trip. When we traded it, the dealer, who was a Jayco dealer, sales rep asked if there were any issues with the rig. I mentioned the problems with the canvas and showed him the pic I had on my phone of the problem. I mentioned it was still under warranty as Jayco warranted the tent ends for 5 years. He said he wasn't sure about that. I showed him on Jayco's website where it stated the 5 year warranty, He said then that's no problem, we're a Jayco dealer and we can repair it under warranty. I have seen so many people asking about this specific issue on various forums. This is why I believe Jayco made the decision to discontinue production of both lines. They may have or had an issue with their canvas supplier and one party or the other may have made the decision to end the business relationship.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:34 AM   #19

We've been looking for hybrids ourselves and the other issue we ran into is that modern hybrids are SO HEAVY compared to older models! We had to buy a used camper just because brand new ones had VERY few options in the under 3500 dry weight category.
WNYcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:55 AM   #20

We've owned 2 Jayco hybrids, an '03 Kiwi 17a, and our current '13 X20E. Neither has any issues with the bunk ends or anything else that other travel trailers don't have. We've loved these trailers and plan on keeping our X20E for at least a couple of more years. That said our next trailer will not be a hybrid, and that is due to the simple fact that we are getting older and it's getting harder and harder to climb in and out of the bunks.

Jayco has been making hybrids for close to 25 years. What I see on the RV forums is a reluctance of younger families to put their kids in tents, pop-ups or anything else with canvas. They want big trailers with multiple slides. Nothing wrong with that of course, but the best thing we did was started in a tent with a 1 year old. She's 37 now and absolutely loves to be outdoors.

Also hybrids got a reputation for leaking at the bunk ends in the early days, which of course still happens but it's not the norm. But because people only talk about problems on forums, and when someone has a problem they are convinced everyone will and does have the same problem, the perception of issues with hybrids is perpetuated. Perceived problems means lower sales.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote