Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Just bought an X18D

Hey everyone! New to the forum here. My wife and I just purchased a new 2011 X18D! We haven't taken delivery of it yet, but as this is an upgrade from an old 2002 Coleman pop up I'm sure we'll love it.

The only complaint that I have thus far is that the dealer and I can't figure out how you could add a screen room (at least the factory carefree one), since the upper support pole according to the instructions would end up interfering with the door (if you go by the book), and the side snaps would have to curl around the right hand side of the door. The dealer won't even attempt the install because they feel we would be unhappy with the results (I'm inclined to agree). I do see a Camco version is available... I wonder if the upper mount is different there.

The only other option I could see would be to get a smaller room where the right hand panel would mount to the left of the door, so that the entire awning space isn't used. This of course is less than optimal since the door wouldn't be covered by the screen room.

Has anyone else tackled this problem?
geoffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #2

I am sitting in my X18D right now, in a steady rain, at 49 degrees, but I'm still having fun! We just got ours a few weeks ago, as an upgrade from a tent! So needless to say - we are very happy.

Good luck with the screen room, I'll be interested to see if you come up with something.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum Geoffdaddy. Enjoy the new X18D
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

Welcome! You might want to get the new camper and try it a few times before making a decision. You will have a better idea what might work for you. Enjoy!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

Stay away from the carefree add a room... I have one THEY ARE JUNK... mine did not last for 5 months..poles bent and carefree says tough luck..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Welcome! You might want to get the new camper and try it a few times before making a decision. You will have a better idea what might work for you. Enjoy!
Yeah, that's what we're planning to do. My wife and mother-in-law are both pretty handy with the sewing machine, and my MIL has a pretty fancy one that can do canvas and heavier materials. So, if it turns out that we really want one we should be able to make something work. Option 2 is just to get a separate screen room tent to put over our picnic table.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #7

Geoffdaddy,

Have you done your 'camper trials' yet? We have been out twice to test things out before our longer camping trips over the summer.

I have had a handful of issues and I am still awaiting a call back from my RV dealer... (5 days now!)

My issues: (just my camper issues, my personal issues wouldn't fit here)
1:Trailer lights are a little screwy, especially if I have my TV running lights on.
2:Refrigerator was showing errors codes on first trip (worked fine last weekend though)
3:last weekend water heater pilot kept going out, and I had a fair bit of soot on the vent, not sure if this is a problem or not but a friend and an experienced rv'er said to keep an eye on it. he thought it might be cause it was first time in use.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #8

geoffdaddy - I have the $88 pop up awning from Wal-Mart. I also purchased the $25 screen room and $25 full rain sides that go with it. Really got it for something else, but we used it a few times camping and it worked well and is fairly inexpensive. We have even used it on the beach. They are not the highest quality, but so far ours has lasted three years. In all honestly though, we dont worry about it anymore. We sit under the awning of the TT and dont worry about going to the trouble of setting it up.

mhd31971- Did you have your propane bottle open fully? Since you had problems with your fridge (not sure if the problem occurred on propane) and your water heater - it had me wondering. Your flame on the water heater should be blue with little to no yellow when it is running.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #9

original fridge issues were on AC, and I definitely had my propane open all the way. I don't know for sure on the color of the hot water heater flame. I recall mostly blue flame, maybe some yellow. Will have to check more closely next time.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #10

Took delivery of the camper today. Car's a bit dirty right now, but you can see the whole rig. Cool thing is, the blue in the decals matches our car almost perfect!

We are trying to figure out what to name her... so far in the lead is TARDIS since it seems like it's bigger on the inside than the outside.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd31971 View Post
Geoffdaddy,

Have you done your 'camper trials' yet? We have been out twice to test things out before our longer camping trips over the summer.
Not yet. Unfortunately we won't be able to do anything this weekend, but we are planning on taking it to the local state park, which is only about 15 miles away from us (Monte Sano State Park in Alabama). That should be a good first test. The following weekend we're planning to take it to a reservoir lake with my in-laws (they have a boat). We'll see what we run into.

The only thing I've found thus far just playing with it is that the awning arms bind a bit when putting the awning up. I think maybe the arms aren't mounted completely square to the roof attachment point. Loosening the set screws on the awning rail ad cinching them back down is all it will take.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #12

We are picking up our x18d tomorrow. I would also be interested in what solutions you come up with for the screen room.
mudmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #13

That is nice! Sure is nice you can pull into a double parking space!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #14

We just did our first camp in this new camper over the weekend! Only a single day at our local state park, but it worked out great. We decided though that we're going to have to pony up and buy a tote tank for the gray/black water tanks for our upcoming trip to Holland SP in Michigan (electric hookup site only). According to the gauge we were nearly full on our grey water tank, but that may be because the site wasn't very level...

which brings me to another thing... leveling! I'm going to have to cut up some boards to put under the wheels....and replace the chocks that I left behind at the campsite. D'oh!

Overall we're very pleased with the camper. We just loaded up all the stuff we had from our old pop ups in totes and carried everything with us to the camp. We were able to find a place to put everything, and still had loads of storage space left! Awesome.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #15

Nice we have the 23b hybrid and have enjoyed it!
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote