Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Smile Just bought our 16XRB - question about Battery

Spring seems a little closer this morning! We bought our 2015 JAY FEATHER SLX 16XRB yesterday! We traded in our 1992 Jayco Thrush Popup and are excited to try out this wonderful new Jayco. Before we pick it up at the end of March we have to decide if we need the battery and converter(?) that apparently does NOT come standard.

If we camp without electrical hookup, which we do on occasion, would we NOT have use of our kitchen sink, lights, etc? Our popup had a pump handle for the faucet, but there is no pump handle in the new trailer.

Since we don't have the trailer yet, we have no book we can consult, so I was hoping we could get an answer from this forum.

Thanks very much!
Bonnie
BonnieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #2

You'll like that SLX 16XRB! My wife and I bought the same model about 6 months ago, and have enjoyed the 4 trips we have done with it so far, and cannot wait to do the next, and next, and next....

To address your question, there is a water pump switch that you will turn on to draw water from the water holding tank whenever you are not connected to a water hookup. This water pump runs off of your 12 volt battery. The lights in this camper also run off of the battery (they are 12 volt lights). If you are plugged into an electrical hookup, the inverter keeps your 12 volt batter charged, operates any 120 volt electrical connection (i.e. TV, and A/C), and your refriggerator. The regrigerator can run off of propane, the 12 volt battery, or the inverter if you are connected to a 120 volt electrical connection.

I'm sure the dealer will perform a pre-delivery session with you to explain everything. Mine did; it was about 2 hours, and they showed me everything about the models features; A/C operation, the refrigerator (how to operate in any one of the 3 modes), the wtaer pump (if no water hookup), the electrical connetion, the inverter operation, the propane stove, the outside awning, towing connections, the list went on, and on.

take a note pad with you, and ask as many questions as you need to. The nice thing about my dealer was that I can call them anytime (called them when I was at a camping site with a question), and they helped me over the phone.

Congrats on the purchase!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
You'll like that SLX 16XRB! My wife and I bought the same model about 6 months ago, and have enjoyed the 4 trips we have done with it so far, and cannot wait to do the next, and next, and next....

To address your question, there is a water pump switch that you will turn on to draw water from the water holding tank whenever you are not connected to a water hookup. This water pump runs off of your 12 volt battery. The lights in this camper also run off of the battery (they are 12 volt lights). If you are plugged into an electrical hookup, the inverter keeps your 12 volt batter charged, operates any 120 volt electrical connection (i.e. TV, and A/C), and your refriggerator. The regrigerator can run off of propane, the 12 volt battery, or the inverter if you are connected to a 120 volt electrical connection.

I'm sure the dealer will perform a pre-delivery session with you to explain everything. Mine did; it was about 2 hours, and they showed me everything about the models features; A/C operation, the refrigerator (how to operate in any one of the 3 modes), the wtaer pump (if no water hookup), the electrical connetion, the inverter operation, the propane stove, the outside awning, towing connections, the list went on, and on.

take a note pad with you, and ask as many questions as you need to. The nice thing about my dealer was that I can call them anytime (called them when I was at a camping site with a question), and they helped me over the phone.

Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks, Bucko! Great explanation. As we suspected, it will be important to get the battery. Our run-through with the dealer is next Thursday! Now we just have to decide if we should go with the dealer's battery, or buy one elsewhere. Many people have commented here that Sam's Club, etc have better prices, but my husband is concerned about the wiring and inverter. I said I would rather go with the first battery through the dealer (who will do the initial wiring) and when/if we need a new battery, we can look elsewhere. We live in the freezing snowy tundra of Chicago (at least it feels that way this year!), so dreaming of camping has been a welcome treat!

Thanks again for the info. You've made it easy for us to make a decision.
BonnieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

You're not going to save much to shop around for a cheaper battery. I'd just have the dealer install their recommended battery and then be sure to have them show you the battery disconnect (might be a switch or a fuse that can be pulled to shut off 12v power to the camper). This is needed otherwise parasitic draws will drain the battery even when the camper is sitting unused. My dealer uses Interstate batteries, I'm still on my original battery after 5 seasons.

Also, the break-away switch on the camper brakes are powered by the 12v battery, so no battery means the break-away switch is inactive.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Before you ask the dealer to sell you a battery ask if it is included. Both TT's we've bought came with a battery.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

A trailer should never be allowed to leave the dealers lot without a battery in it. It powers the emergency breakaway switch..
When you get a battery for the RV make sure it DOES NOT have a CCA rating on it. Those are not true deep cycle batteries and will not last very long.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #7

If your new trailer has electric brakes then it is a DOT requirement that the trailer ia equipped with a battery before going down the US PUBLIC ROADs.

Your 30AMP trailer electrical configuration will look something like this.

Enjoy your new trailer

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum and congrats on new TT.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Congrats on the 16XRB. We purchased one last June and love it. It has been a great camper for us. The battery came with ours. Hope you enjoy it and good luck!

Jaycamper
2015 Jayco 16xrb
2002 Ford Ranger 4x4
2015 Ford Explorer
Jaycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #10

Also, you'll want to remove the battery whenever the trailer is not being used. Place the battery on a bench (or comperable) and have a trickle charger connected to it. This way the deep cycle battery stays charged and ready fro your next trip. It will last much, much longer as well.

2007 Ford F150
Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
Mat

Same here, bought a 16XRB early last summer and it did came with a battery, even a full propane tank!
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:34 AM   #12

Nice touch when they do this.

At the very least, a battery is required for the TT. As already stated, the travel trailers electric brakes need it to operate if it becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle. Any TT that has electric brakes cannot be 'legally' operated on public roads without its own battery.

I don't know of any TT dealership that sell new TT's without providing a battery. The chances are strong that a buyer would not bring their own when they pick it up (TT) to take it home. Not sure what the law is if this were to happen. Can the dealer refuse the owner to leave the site without a battery? If so, could they be held liable if an accident occured on the way home?

2007 Ford F150
Old 03-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #13

Congrats on the 16XRB! I have had mine for a year now and I love it!.

So far, the only "problems" I have had with it are that the bathroom faucet cold knob broke - the clear plastic knob portion only (cheap to replace) and then ast summer I found water pooling under the fridge, in the storage cabinet there. It turns out that it was due to running the AC one very hot camping trip and the drain pan needed to be caulked (at the AC unit). Dealer took care of that under warranty of course.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #14

Another alternative to the cut off switch o battery removal is install a cheap solar charger. Mine was $14 at Harbor Freight. If you get one that is less than 5 amp then you don't need a controller. The parasitic drain (probably you CO detector) and the small charger will keep a healthy cycle on your battery.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

Regarding the battery during storage/non-use: I simply remove the fuse from the battery wiring thingy (technical term, "thingy")and keep the battery locked on the tongue.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspooley View Post
Regarding the battery during storage/non-use: I simply remove the fuse from the battery wiring thingy (technical term, "thingy")and keep the battery locked on the tongue.
By the way, our 16XRB's Norcold regrigerator only has two modes of operation; AC (120 VAC) and LP gas. We do not have the DC (12 volt) operation for the refrigerator.

2007 Ford F150