Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Jx17z and gm uplander towing

New member question, just bought a 17Z, TV is Chev uplander 2007 3.9 and "husky anti sway and leveling" plus elec brake cont. we plan to travel max within 100 miles to fav sites. I know that my max load in the trailer should not exceed 300 - 400 lb. Is their any members with the same config. with some advice plus, should I load the van rather than the TT.

John
jepotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

John,

Welcome to the Jayco forums

Until someone chimes in with a similar TV/TT combination with some first hand insight, I hope the following information will be helpful in the mean time .....;

Your correct, the CCC of the X17Z is very limited and it won't take much cargo to max out the TT's GVWR (3,500lbs). The published CCC is only 675lbs, but it is based on the UVW weight. The UVW of 2,825lbs isn't the ship weight (look for yellow sticker on TT), so that will add 100lbs to 250lbs to the UVW (depends on Jayco model). The sum total weight of the battery, WDH, and any dealer options will have to be added to the ship weight as well, so IMO your guess of about 300lbs to 400lbs maximum cargo sounds about right.

The safest, and most accurate way to address your particular TV/TT loading question is to visit your local CAT scale. Basically you don't want to exceed the GVWR of your TV or TT...., the CAT scale will tell how to load your specific TV/TT combination and stay within all of the specified weight limits.

Visiting the CAT scale will provide you with a lot of useful weight information, plus piece of mind. The following thread link will guide you through the CAT scale weigh-in process: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3871

I apologize that I can't give you a definitive answer to your question, mainly because IMO your personal loading "style" will have a great influence on the actual TV/TT loaded weight outcome.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #3

Is the tow capacity for the Uplander ony 3500 lbs? If so I'd advise loading both camper and tow vehicle as lightly as possible (empty holding tanks) and go on a short "trial run" to see how the tow vehicle performs. The 17Z is a 9.5 ft tall, 18 ft long box that acts like a sail in windy conditions and can signficantly impact towing control.